Question re ISU adult competition rules

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The ISU adult event in Ottawa in September is using the 2020-21 technical rules https://www.isu.org/docman-document...78-technical-requirements-season-2021-22/file

I have a question about the artistic skating category. The document says that at the bronze level a skater "MUST" do one jump and one spin, and that since waltz jumps are not listed jumps, they don't fulfill the jump requirement. I can see older skaters who can't or don't want to jump having difficulty with this requirement. What are the judges expected to do if a program doesn't include a required element like this?

vu2019

On page 22 (under Artistic Free Skating, it says:
If the minimum required technical elements are not included, a deduction for a “missing element” of 1.0 will be made. The Referee is responsible for such deductions.

sk8girl

On page 22 (under Artistic Free Skating, it says:
If the minimum required technical elements are not included, a deduction for a “missing element” of 1.0 will be made. The Referee is responsible for such deductions.
Yes, I have known people who have chosen to compete ISU artistic without the required jump and/or spin and they have just taken the required missing element deduction. Examples are here, if this link works: http://skateaustria.vs91-250-98-130...19_20/060/BronzeLadiesVArtistic_FS_Scores.pdf

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Excellent, thanks everyone!

Looking at the results in that link, there are more skaters not doing the required element than are doing it. Maybe the ISU needs to add a "no jumps" category in artistic, or take away the requirement.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
In Australia we have our own rules for Artistic events. Last year I developed artistic rules here for groups here because we were getting a few skaters asking for them. It provides more scope for skaters and some really enjoy doing group numbers. Jumps are permitted but not mandatory.

I think the reason for skaters doing jumps and spins is because it is meant to be a skating competition. Maybe it is something worth asking the International Adult Committee about. I can't remember who the Chair for that committee is.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In Australia we have our own rules for Artistic events. Last year I developed artistic rules here for groups here because we were getting a few skaters asking for them. It provides more scope for skaters and some really enjoy doing group numbers. Jumps are permitted but not mandatory.

I think the reason for skaters doing jumps and spins is because it is meant to be a skating competition. Maybe it is something worth asking the International Adult Committee about. I can't remember who the Chair for that committee is.

Thanks for sharing this - it looks very well thought out. Does "any kind of jump" include waltz jumps, or only the "listed" jumps that the ISU recognizes?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Thanks for sharing this - it looks very well thought out. Does "any kind of jump" include waltz jumps, or only the "listed" jumps that the ISU recognizes?
We have put a bit of work into our artistic divisions because they are pretty popular. With the group divisions most of the events were doing their own thing. It was important to get them into a national framework so that skaters were not having to change programs to accommodate a particular competition.

It is the listed jumps. But if people want to do a waltz jump they can.

One of the problems with the international adult events is they are self selecting. The qualification to select the division a skater competes in artistic is -

An entry in an artistic category may be at the same level or one level higher (not lower) than the entry in an event of any other category. For example, a skater may enter the Silver Free Skating event and then the Gold Artistic Free Skating event.

It doesn't really clarify if a skater is only doing artistic what event they enter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information