Question about new skates - advice needed

Thread starter #1

SmallFairy

#teamtrainwreck #teamjapan #speakingwiththesoul
Ratings
So... I've been skating in Edea concerto for 1,5 year. They've been ok, but I'm struggling more and more with the stability. I feel they don't support very well at all around the ankle, I lace them up like there was no tomorrow, but then they end up too tight and everything hurts, and they still don't support enough, they just slack off. If I lace looser, they will support even less. My ankles are not very thin, like my friend who had the same problem and switched to Risport. I tried to lace in every different way, with different kind of laces, but it never really works.

I also feel Edea are very narrow at the toes. My feet are quite broad at the toes, and I tried on my a friend's Jackson's (don't know what model) and they felt "rounder" around the toes and wasn't painful at all. My Edea's are. The reason I bought the Concertos was that they were the only pair available for my large, adult feet. (size 41, 270). And I cannot skate without skates, so of course I got them. We have very few shops in Norway and only one actual store in my area, so it's hard, but they can order, I just don't know what to ask for. I've never had the chance to try on different models to compare. Now I more and more feel that Edea and my feet are not meant to be bff's... (My blades are MK professional freestyle, and I like them very much)

I'm quite tall and not big, but more on the heavy side than on the petit, so I need good support. I do single jumps, I'm working on the axel, and I'm competing in adult bronze. What should I do? What brand or type of skates do you recommend? I am so thankful for any input, advice and experiences. I've been looking at Jackson competitor or Jackson premier. I especially like how you lace up premier, maybe I can fit them better around the ankle? Since the Jackson's fit my toes so well, I was thinking I should maybe try them, but is there another brand that could also fit well? Risport are narrow as Edea, right?

The problem is I might never be able to try the skates on when I finally choose, since my size will not be in stock, I may just have to place an order and hope for the best...

Thank you for all help!

Clarice

Ratings
I agree that Jacksons feel roomier around the toes. I really liked that when I had them, but I also have narrow heels, which always slipped around, so I had to change brands again (I'm now in SPTeris). I have not tried Edeas, although my adult daughter is in Concertos and loves them. It was my understanding that they're not supposed to lace tight at the ankles, because that's how they flex. My SPTeris are low cut dance boots, and it took me a little while to get used to the apparent lack of support at the ankle, but now I can actually jump in them as well as I could before (admittedly, only single jumps, no axel).

treesprite

Ratings
SmallFairy, are your heels proportional to your toes in width size? If so, it might be useful to know that the higher level Jackson's are made split width automatically. Also, with some brands, you can order a change in split width (there is a fee, but it is way less than for full customs). My old boots that are not customs, were adjusted at the factory to a C toe with and A heel (my customs are a EE toe and a AA heel).

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Ratings
It's entirely possible that Jackson's fits your foot better in the toes.

Different brands build this out differently in their stock lasts. These two pages have a pretty good breakdown of the differences:

https://skaterslanding.com/pages/comparing-figure-skates-by-fit-design
https://skaterslanding.com/pages/arch-description-foot-type

This is not entirely different from toebox issues in ballet pointe shoes, and it's important to get something that fits you right. I believe all boot brands offer split sizing/etc once you figure out what you need, but typically you'll have to order through a skate shop/authorized dealer to get better customization.

As for the stiffness/tightness problem, you could try getting someone to put an extra layer of foam padding into the tongue. This is a problem I have with my skates:

https://tinyurl.com/y9nnsnqv

Eventually, both boots were padded out and it's been going great.

Last edited:

aliceanne

Ratings
In the old days when there was nowhere local to buy skates the rink owner would trace our feet on a piece of cardboard and send it to the boot manufacturer. They would recommend a size/model and send it to the rink. With today's technology there might be a more sophisticated way to do that. I would contact the boot brands you are interested in and ask for recommendations.

I wear Riedell, but I have pretty average size feet.

treesprite

Ratings
A good fitter will trace your feet sitting and standing, and do circumference measurements with a tape measure, even if you don't plan to get customs. The fitter will know just from the measurements which brand of skate will be best for your foot shape, and whether a stock boot of a particular model will need any punching or stretching in any area. My skate guy also watches how people walk to help him know blade placement, so there is less of the trial and error that causes extra holes to have to be put in the boot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)