Problems with my new computer

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It's not the computer, it's the Windows 10 update from Microsoft. It should fix itself, but if it doesn't, you can use Control Panel / Sounds to diagnose and repair it.

If Aceon6 is correct, then the problem has nothing to do with the Dell computer and it's not likely that Dell will be able to do anything for you. The Geek Squad could fix it, but it's really something you should be able to Google and fix yourself.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-sound-issues-after-upgrade-1513693

I tried that link but after the first two steps I didn't see what I was supposed to see. I went upto Device Manager but the instructions didn't match what my computer was showing. I tried on-line help. It didn't work. It is a Windows10 problem. They force the automatic updates on us and this is what happens. There are suggestions on the internet to fix the Sound problem but none has worked so far. It's almost 1:30 am and I have to quit.

michiruwater

No. I don't know what it means.

Restore points are snapshots of system files your computer saves so you can back up to them if problems occur.

Based on what I've read, Windows 10 does not necessarily automatically start creating snapshots like others Windows do, so you may not have any restore points.

Can you go to Control Panel > System > System Protection for me, and on the System Protection tab tell me, is 'system restore' greyed out?

Skate Talker

Following along on this thread because I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 and know next to nothing about restore points other than one should have them and that they help you roll back to a previous time when your computer was hopefully working much better. I have not known how to schedule or create one, or how to use it when needed.

So michiruwater, I just checked and System Restore and it is greyed out so I think I will continue to follow along with your advice hopefully before the next Windows Update happens and before I install Office 365 and other stuff. Your help is much appreciated.

Really

I need a new title
Restore points have been around since at least Windows 95, so this is not something new to Windows 10.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
New problem. Since my internet was getting disconnected frequently while I was using it, I called the service provider (Century link Prism) for repairs. At the same time my HDTV was having problems too, so they sent a technician to my home (that was nice). He fixed the TV problem but that night the internet froze. I don't know exactly what he did to it, since I don't understand these things well. Before he left it looked like the internet was working but I am not 100% sure that it was.

Thinking that the internet was working, I installed Mozilla Firefox and Googlechrome as additional browsers that night. I don't know if that created the problem, though it is incomprehensible to me that it would stop my internet completely.

It was impossible to open any link I tried to open. It's a little hard to describe this, but for example, I would see the homepage of FSU or facebook or something else, but if I clicked on a link in it, nothing would happen. I called them again and they sent a different tech to fix the internet problem. The tech saw what was happening but he insisted that the problem was with the computer and the internet was working fine. He connected his laptop to it and showed me that the internet was working fine on his laptop.

I called the supervisor and left him a message to call me about it. So far I have not heard from him. My argument is that before the first tech worked on my internet, at least I could use my internet though it was not perfect (it worked about 75% of the time). Now it is not working even 5%. The second tech said that computers can do anything anytime so I need to call a computer guy.

I can try calling Dell support but I am afraid that they are going to say the problem is with the internet, since I can access other things (pictures, word, etc.) on the computer. I could try the Geeksquad to see if they can help. Basically though I am fed up with computer problems. This is a new computer with Windows 10 but not new enough to just call Dell and return it. I don't even know if the problem is with the computer or the internet.

ETA: Last night after the second tech left, I uninstalled both googlechrome and Mozilla firefox and went back to Edge. I was able to post something on my facebook but still couldn't access FSU (not even the front page). I read one article on CNN. Then everything stopped. Couldn't open any of the links in an article or on facebook, and FSU won't even open. Couldn't open my email messages either.

Last edited:

rjblue

Having a great day!
It sounds like your computer is riddled with malware, especially if you just installed more software. What is happening with links not opening is a classic malware symptom.

You are hassling your internet provider for something that can't be their problem. If his works, then yours should.

Is there not a local repair service you can take your computer to? If I were you I'd back up my files and get someone to reformat and do a clean install of your operating system, and then show you how to set up some restore points.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It sounds like your computer is riddled with malware, especially if you just installed more software. What is happening with links not opening is a classic malware symptom.

You are hassling your internet provider for something that can't be their problem. If his works, then yours should.

Is there not a local repair service you can take your computer to? If I were you I'd back up my files and get someone to reformat and do a clean install of your operating system, and then show you how to set up some restore points.

There is one that I have used in the past. I will call them if the 'free' options don't work for me because they are expensive (Dell support and Geeksquad which is not free but I have paid for them already).

The only new software I installed was googlechrome and MozillaFirefox. I never thought that would bring in malware.

Is it too late for me to reinstall Norton? I had not renewed after my subscription expired (I missed their deadline; not that I didn't want an antivirus)

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
There are MANY places on the web that offer downloads of Chrome and Firefox that are infected with malware. You have to be very careful where you get those links.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Learned a hard lesson. I should have renewed my Norton antivirus when they started sending me emails to renew. It's not that I didn't want to renew but I got distracted by many other things and missed the deadline.

Skate Talker

Restore points have been around since at least Windows 95, so this is not something new to Windows 10.
Yes I know that but I have never really thought about them before now and would like to know how/when I should be creating them and what I need to consider before taking the step of actually using one.

Japanfan

What a nightmare, Vash01. Is the problem resolved now that you reinstalled Norton?

My experience with techs is that don't always know how to fix a problem.

I had a major issue recently when I migrated my website from one site to another due to a change in the pricing structure. Some of the graphics for the website completely disappeared, including the header I have for each page. I was entirely panicked, especially since I don't have a back-up copy of my website and having to redo it would cost me time and money, as I developed it with the help of the designer.

After numerous phone calls and trying a number of solutions that didn't work, it turned out that the hoster did have a back-up of my website filed (a courtesy, not a requirement). And I found someone who knew how to reintegrate the missing content. As it turned out, he didn't even know that what he was doing would work - just got lucky that it did work.

So I guess the morale of the story is keep phoning around and hopefully, you will eventually find someone with the knowledge and intuition needed to fix challenging tech problems.

michiruwater

Learned a hard lesson. I should have renewed my Norton antivirus when they started sending me emails to renew. It's not that I didn't want to renew but I got distracted by many other things and missed the deadline.

I highly recommend AVG Free when you fix this, or if you get a new computer in the future. Norton slows computers down a ton and often comes with bloatware or other unnecessary components. AVG Free is free and works incredibly well without slowing the computer down, and if you prefer a paid service that does more you can also pay for the full version of AVG. I've done both and never had problems whether I was running the free version or the full version.

Following along on this thread because I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 and know next to nothing about restore points other than one should have them and that they help you roll back to a previous time when your computer was hopefully working much better. I have not known how to schedule or create one, or how to use it when needed.

So michiruwater, I just checked and System Restore and it is greyed out so I think I will continue to follow along with your advice hopefully before the next Windows Update happens and before I install Office 365 and other stuff. Your help is much appreciated.

Vash never answered my question, which is fine if other things have popped up, so just for you - did you change it so that you have restore points now? Do you need help in learning how to do so?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
First of all Windows 10 came with Windows Defender. On older versions like Windows 7, you would need an antivirus like AVG Free which is really good and that's what I used when I had Windows 7. The AVG Antivirus also turned Windows Defender off with Windows 7 because it didn't need it.

Microsoft changed Windows Defender for Windows 10 and made it the only Antivirus software you would need. If you install something else like Norton or AVG when Windows Defender is already working with Windows 10, it may cause problems. All I've ever used is Windows Defender with Windows 10 and there have never been any viruses or malware on my laptop. Windows Defender gets updated each day with the latest virus definitions and it scan for viruses, maleware, etc.

Also, Microsoft has released an Anniversary edition of Windows 10 which was in several people's update this past Tuesday (Patch Tuesday). Not everyone got the upgrade yet, and I was one of them that hasn't gotten the new version yet. I still have 1511. Microsoft has run into several problems with this new version causing PCs to freeze and not even boot up.

They've given steps for people to take if they run into problems when they download the new version or when the new version is offered at the Microsoft Community message board. It can't be offered to 150 million people all at the same time. So, they've been dispersing it to just a few at a time. Microsoft is working on the problems they didn't foresee with the Anniversary Edition.

I'm just glad that I didn't receive the update on Patch Tuesday. Instead, it gave me updates for the Version 1511 that I have.

If you're having trouble with the Edge Browswer, you can use Internet Explorer 11, and I've been using it since February when I upgraded to Windows 10. That was Dell's suggestion to me because of Edge not having Flash and because of the security in Edge. It doesn't have the Smart Screen filter that IE 11 has. IE 11 does come with windows 10 because there are still websites that can't be viewed without Flash, etc.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am considering selling my Dell computer because I had so many problems with it. It is outside the warranty period. The most recent problem is it asks me to unpin Edge from the task bar and if I say yes, it disappears. Then I have no choice but to bring it back but it doesn't open.

This could be a Windows 10 problem though and not unique to Dell.

In any case, what's the best way to sell a two year old computer? I don't trust Craig's lust so that's not an option.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Craigs list is actually perfect for sellers. You unload your lemon, get cash for it, and the buyer has no recourse if s/he is unhappy. Just arrange to have someone with you or meet potential buyers outside, and make it a cash-only sale, no checks or credit cards -- Paypal is OK too but make sure the $ clears before you hand over your computer. (It should clear instantaneously.)

I have bought on Craigslist with no problem at all. Most recently two end tables -- the seller was nice enough to deliver them free of charge! Ebay is possible too, but buyers can easily get their money back there. The only downside of Craigslist is that you probably cant get much money since buyers have no protection. But it doesnt sound like it's worth much.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I wouldn't think that most older computers are worth much, given that they become obsolete so quickly - and its planned obsolescance. Computer technology is a capitalist dream!

It's only two years old but that may be considered 'old' these days.

The Microsoft Edge did become accessible after the restart, though I got a couple of screens saying I need to upload it. I just ignored those.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Laptops have a depreciable life of 3 years, so you're not likely to get much for it after 2 years.

Just make sure you have scrubbed it clean of all your files.

sk8pics

Vash, You can try Gazelle. I sold a 5 or 6-year-old MacBook Pro last year for around $250. You enter the info about the model, hard drive size, memory, whatever else they ask, and they will quote you a price. I have never had any trouble with them not honoring the price they quoted. They pay to ship the device to them. Once they get it, they will verify the condition of it and let you know if the price still stands or they are adjusting it, and if so, you have the option to get the device back or accept the new price. Very easy.

Parsley Sage

Did you ever fix the sound issue? My sound hasn't worked with Windows 10 since January. I tried several fixes but they didn't work. I get a few minutes of sound and then nothing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Vash, You can try Gazelle. I sold a 5 or 6-year-old MacBook Pro last year for around $250. You enter the info about the model, hard drive size, memory, whatever else they ask, and they will quote you a price. I have never had any trouble with them not honoring the price they quoted. They pay to ship the device to them. Once they get it, they will verify the condition of it and let you know if the price still stands or they are adjusting it, and if so, you have the option to get the device back or accept the new price. Very easy.

Thanks. I will look them up.

Did you ever fix the sound issue? My sound hasn't worked with Windows 10 since January. I tried several fixes but they didn't work. I get a few minutes of sound and then nothing.

Yes. It was fixed last year by someone but I don't remember how.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I highly recommend AVG Free when you fix this, or if you get a new computer in the future. Norton slows computers down a ton and often comes with bloatware or other unnecessary components. AVG Free is free and works incredibly well without slowing the computer down, and if you prefer a paid service that does more you can also pay for the full version of AVG. I've done both and never had problems whether I was running the free version or the full version.

Vash never answered my question, which is fine if other things have popped up, so just for you - did you change it so that you have restore points now? Do you need help in learning how to do so?

Sorry. I got away from this thread after the computer started working. Also my use of it decreased substantially like once in one or two weeks. I started using either my work computer outside work hours, and the iPad when I didn't really need a computer. Right now (as of yesterday) it's working. I started ignoring the warnings and ads on the home computer. I do have Norton at the moment. Not sure if I should get rid of it somehow or just wIt until it expires.

Japanfan

You unload your lemon, get cash for it, and the buyer has no recourse if s/he is unhappy. Just arrange to have someone with you or meet potential buyers outside, and make it a cash-only sale, no checks or credit cards

Although the rule of Caveat Empor always needs to be taken into account, not everyone selling stuff on Craig's List is dishonest, and not every computer is a lemon (I don't think Vash's is actually).

And anyone buying a second-hand computer on Craig's List is at risk of getting one with problems and not having the warranty for getting them fixed.

There's a reason to buy computers new, with a warranty and a plan.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Have you tried updating your drivers through Device Manager? You can get to the Device Manager by clicking on your Windows Start button, and then type in Device Manager. Once you've clicked on Device Manager, it will open up.

Scroll down the list and look for "Sound, video and game controllers". Click on that to open it up. Something similar to Conexant SmartAudio HD and Intel(R) Display Audio should be listed. Right-click on whatever is listed, and select Properties. From there, you can update your drivers.

Parsley Sage

Have you tried updating your drivers through Device Manager? You can get to the Device Manager by clicking on your Windows Start button, and then type in Device Manager. Once you've clicked on Device Manager, it will open up.

Scroll down the list and look for "Sound, video and game controllers". Click on that to open it up. Something similar to Conexant SmartAudio HD and Intel(R) Display Audio should be listed. Right-click on whatever is listed, and select Properties. From there, you can update your drivers.

Tried that. Didn't work

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information