Practice Thread

MadMac

Had a pretty awesome fall today, I was going for a little speed on the stroking and when I let up the toe pick worked its magic. Hurt in the knees but I got up and continued. #wegetup

For everybody's entertainment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-hBpsRHvM
I literally feel this! I fell at all three of my lessons last week and my knees are a constellation of bruises because of it. Hope you're feeling a little less tenderized--and way to get back up!

D

Deleted member 53443

If anyone wants good off ice training stuff, I can recommend Sean Rabbit's instagram.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Oh? What are you hearing? (Please tell me they will also remove the forward inside three turns from the Elementary test? :D)
@misskarne - The new test patterns are now up on the ISA site here . I believe you are out of luck with regard to the FI three turns.

I need to learn something called 'Power Circles' where you do crossovers in increasing circles. Not sure anything about my skating says 'power' but we'll give it a go. I figure if I can do all the other parts of the test to a high standard that may cancel out my back outside edges.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
@misskarne - The new test patterns are now up on the ISA site here . I believe you are out of luck with regard to the FI three turns.

I need to learn something called 'Power Circles' where you do crossovers in increasing circles. Not sure anything about my skating says 'power' but we'll give it a go. I figure if I can do all the other parts of the test to a high standard that may cancel out my back outside edges.

Those power circles are dead easy when you get a rhythm going. I always did wonder why they were in the later tests.

Not only do I still have to do the FI3s, they've added power pulls to Elementary. Frickety frickety frick frack.

ioana

Those power circles are dead easy when you get a rhythm going. I always did wonder why they were in the later tests.

Believe this all depends on how much separation is expected between slow to fast crossovers. Pattern looks similar to the one currently in use for adult gold in the US, but expectations for us are to have 3 fairly well delineated rhythms, slow tight crossovers, medium paced crossovers in a medium circle and accelerated crossovers on the largest radius. Not the hardest thing, but within 15 crossovers also not the easiest. Sounds like the expectation on the Australian test is to have (only) two established speeds and a few more crossovers to accomplish it?

http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Adult MIF Revision Summary.pdf

D

Deleted member 53443

My wife did the adult gold test and worked a lot on the power circles. There I could actually help her a lot since (good) hockey players do have powerful crossovers, and I especially have worked so much on posture. I remember the biggest thing was that when she got to the fast part she stood up and started to step over, not really pushing. If you are determined to keep a certain knee bend, to keep pressure on both edges (especially the underpush) this I don't think is easy. I see mostly stepovers with high, tense shoulders during the fast "lap".

Clarice

These are really tough to practice on crowded sessions, too, since they pretty much take up the whole middle of the rink. They're on the standard Juvenile test as well as Adult Gold, and I had to make the skater I recently coached on them come early in the morning so the ice would be relatively empty.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
The one thing I've observed about training the power circles with younger skaters is that at least once, there is the "click of death" and then a slide at speed across the ice on one's... ;) I've never seen anyone hurt by this, other than in terms of pride.

And yes, they're very hard to practice on a freestyle with other skaters on it. They take up a lot of space right in the middle of the rink, so you're in everyone's way and they are in yours.

D

Deleted member 53443

The one thing I've observed about training the power circles with younger skaters is that at least once, there is the "click of death" and then a slide at speed across the ice on one's... ;) I've never seen anyone hurt by this, other than in terms of pride.

And yes, they're very hard to practice on a freestyle with other skaters on it. They take up a lot of space right in the middle of the rink, so you're in everyone's way and they are in yours.

I only got that "click of death" going backwards, and fell forward on my knees, I wish it was on my butt! :lol:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Sounds like the expectation on the Australian test is to have (only) two established speeds and a few more crossovers to accomplish it?
I certainly hope so, as this is literally the first 'proper' test we do, and we have to pass it before being allowed to do any other tests - even if all you want to do is test dance (and yes, I will probably be bitching about that until I either pass the test and am able to move on to dance, or die).

We'll see what sort of standard they are expecting once some people have actually taken the new test. Passing standard is normally quite low here.

artika

My silly fall on monday transformed into a nagging pain in the left hip, quite sharp when I get to transfer the weight on that side. The good news is that each day I'm better. Also I can still do the thinks that require less lean and the things on the other side, like the crossovers on the right hip both forward and backward could use extra work... I'm relieved I didn't get terribly frustrated that I couldn't train as I wanted, and I actually was able to enjoy the slower pace for a change.

D

Deleted member 53443

Does anybody else use the icoachskating site? I find it fantastic, like an endless way of knowing more from the comfort of your home, and find inspiration to go on ice the next day.

MadMac

Does anybody else use the icoachskating site? I find it fantastic, like an endless way of knowing more from the comfort of your home, and find inspiration to go on ice the next day.

One of my coaches RAVES about it, especially as a tool for adult skaters. She's used enough of their tips in my lessons (and it's always helpful, demystifying advice, too!) by now: I should really just admit it's a mighty worthwhile expense already.

So happy to hear it's been a great tool for you! Especially in the motivation department because I am in a sluuuuump right now.

antmanb

I finally ordered new boots :cheer2:

My practices continue to see improvements in spins and serious problems with my jumps. I turn 40 this year so I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't beat myself up about the jumps and focus on my making my spins the best they can be. But I started skating for my love of the jumps.

Anyway for now i'm excited to order the boots. I think they'll take 6-8 weeks to come and I can transfer the blades from my current boots to them.

The pro shop at our rink doesn't have the best reviews and i'm concerned about mounting them mounting the blades but I don't know anyone else who mounts blades. I'm guessing, since they are just moving them from one boot to the same new boot, they can't mess up the temporary mount can they?

D

Deleted member 53443

I finally ordered new boots :cheer2:

My practices continue to see improvements in spins and serious problems with my jumps. I turn 40 this year so I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't beat myself up about the jumps and focus on my making my spins the best they can be. But I started skating for my love of the jumps.

Anyway for now i'm excited to order the boots. I think they'll take 6-8 weeks to come and I can transfer the blades from my current boots to them.

The pro shop at our rink doesn't have the best reviews and i'm concerned about mounting them mounting the blades but I don't know anyone else who mounts blades. I'm guessing, since they are just moving them from one boot to the same new boot, they can't mess up the temporary mount can they?

I think they can... I would really recommend trying to look for someone who people trust in your area, even if it's a drive. Good luck!

antmanb

I think they can... I would really recommend trying to look for someone who people trust in your area, even if it's a drive. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I have a skate sharpener I trust but she says that doesn't know how to mount the blade.

I might ask some of the coaches around the rink as I seem to recall one having a Brother in law that could mount blades.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I might ask some of the coaches around the rink as I seem to recall one having a Brother in law that could mount blades.
Asking the coaches is a good idea, or if you have any elite or elitish skaters they might know as they would need to have blades mounted far more frequnetly than us mere mortals (a coach could speak to them for you if you don't want to approach them yourself).

I agree you shouldn't touch the pro shop with a barge pole (pro shop where we skated once took the inside edge completely off my husband's blades when he put them in for sharpening). Last time I had blades mounted in the UK it was done by Everglides in Porstmouth, but that's too far for you (and I also think they've moved, so not sure if it's the same guy still running it).

antmanb

Asking the coaches is a good idea, or if you have any elite or elitish skaters they might know as they would need to have blades mounted far more frequnetly than us mere mortals (a coach could speak to them for you if you don't want to approach them yourself).

Sadly we have no elites at our rink (at least at a time when i'm around). There is a new coach who I don't know that has a couple of skaters working on 2A and 3T that might be able to offer advice.

I agree you shouldn't touch the pro shop with a barge pole (pro shop where we skated once took the inside edge completely off my husband's blades when he put them in for sharpening). Last time I had blades mounted in the UK it was done by Everglides in Porstmouth, but that's too far for you (and I also think they've moved, so not sure if it's the same guy still running it).

Yes, the more I think about it the more I definitely realise that I should find someone reputable.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic

I have a subscription and think it's a great resource in addition to lessons with my coach. I do find the interface leaves a lot to be desired (wish there was more granular filtering; having to search all the time is a drag), but overall a good thing to have when I am struggling on something and I can't get to a lesson.

antmanb

All quiet on the practice front?

I hadn't skated in three weeks due to work travel, but finally returned to the rink last night. It was kind of Bambi on Ice to start with :rofl:

Three weeks off can actually cure you of many bad habits - apparently I wasn't leaning forward as much last night because I nearly fell off the back of the blades FIVE TIMES! I caught myself every time but still it was a very unsteady practice. Coach worked simple moves with me - simple inside and outside edges forwards and backwards. Cross rolls, change of edge patterns forwards and backwards, then we did a few small and careful jumps at the end. Toe-loop is my money jump that I hit without a problem, salchow took a lot more but eventually a got some nice ones and then I even managed some nice (but two footed) loops.

Not too bad considering the time off. As I left the ice I got a call from the pro shop to say that my new boots are in :cheer2:

Oh my god are these boots stiff :lol: they baked them in the oven and I managed to actually get them on, then they laced them up for me. All good, except that I then had to sit still for 10 minutes as they cooled down, and I never sit still I fidget and never sit still. 10 Agonising minutes later the boots were cool, and while I can tell they will need some breaking in, they feel pretty comfortable. The boots have been through a couple of redesigns since I had my last pair and they seem a lot better (better padding material and liner).

Having asked around a bunch of coaches etc about mounting the blades, most of them said the pro shop were fine. So I've left my current and new skates with them to mount the blades with the temporary sliders. I've pointed out that I have the blades more to the inside, and the right foot even more to the inside to correct some foot issues and they've marked on the new boot the equivalent spots as the old ones so I think they'll be fine and I can fine tune it when I skate in them.

misskarne

No I keep forgetting to post! :lol:

After my last comp three weeks ago, I promptly got sick - enough that I was off the ice for two weeks. (And by promptly, I mean I started coughing pretty much as soon as I crawled into bed after getting home from the comp.) When I came back on on Monday, it was my first real session in my new boots and blades. Because Reasons, my blades are half an inch shorter than they were, which meant we spent all Monday's lesson doing crossovers on a circle because that's about all I was capable of.

Went again this morning and already feel much better in them, I could skate forwards and backwards, do mohawks, and even walked through Salchow and toe loop (the toepicks seem to be the biggest adjustment, even though they're the same toepicks). So I think I'll get used to it quickly enough that the next comp - for which entries close on Monday - shouldn't be an issue.

MadMac

I passed my first MITF test Monday and have been so happy that my practice sessions are no longer hours of obsessing over my weaker left spiral and doing waltz-eights 'til my legs fall off. Ran through the Bronze MITF test for the first time on Wednesday; when I'm no longer terrified of doing three-turns and mohawks while moving, I feel like the test will actually be pretty doable. I love me some alternating crossovers. I love the idea of practing mohawks and three-turns over and over and over again a little less, but this sport IS made of necessary evils.

I lost my scratch spins for a few weeks because I focused so heavily on my MITF test elements while neglecting so many other things. So busting out one that my coach deemed "Peeeeerfect" the other day felt like actual magic. I've missed marveling at my spin tracings!

I'd been really good at getting consecutive days of ice time in pre-test, but prepping for a rapidly approaching work trip has been rudely eating into my practice schedule. I think I'll be taking my skates on my cross-country travels in the hopes of squeezing in some skating practice--anyone know how TSA feels about carry-on ice skates?

misskarne

I think I'll be taking my skates on my cross-country travels in the hopes of squeezing in some skating practice--anyone know how TSA feels about carry-on ice skates?

They're allowed for domestic flights in the US. Been there, done that. I only had two airports where they had a second look: LAX where they reversed my bag through the scanner to look again, and DCA where they made me open the bag and remove the soakers so they could make sure they were skates.

misskarne

Skated this morning for about 40 minutes. Boots felt better, blades (which I got sharpened yesterday) felt much better. I managed a twizzle (a bit wobbly), a couple of wobbly spins both forward and back, a few wobbly Salchows, some okay toe loops, and a few two-footed flips, so I'm definitely entering the comp.

MadMac

They're allowed for domestic flights in the US. Been there, done that. I only had two airports where they had a second look: LAX where they reversed my bag through the scanner to look again, and DCA where they made me open the bag and remove the soakers so they could make sure they were skates.
Thanks lots for this! I've read/heard skates are fine in carry-on luggage for U.S. domestic flights but I always worry that I'll be the one time they cause a problem.

misskarne

Thanks lots for this! I've read/heard skates are fine in carry-on luggage for U.S. domestic flights but I always worry that I'll be the one time they cause a problem.

USFS and TSA had a leaflet that was put out a while ago - I carried a print-off version of it but didn't need to show it. I'll see if I can rustle it up.

Can't find the exact flyer, but here's the TSA page: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/skates

Skated this morning before work, absolute garbage ice. Spins mostly okay, still a little slide-offy. Jumped Salchow, toe loop and a few two-footed flips; tried a few loop jumps which were very wobbly, small, and a bit hit and miss. I may substitute the loop out of my program for a flip. 1 week to go.

antmanb

I got my new boots :cheer2: also ouch!

The pro shop mounted my blades fairly close to their previous set up so I tried them out and it felt very strange. The advice to not lace up the top notch left me wondering if the weird feeling at the back of the boot was because I hadn't laced them all the way up or because of the boot.

I laced them up to the top and didn't find it an more uncomfortable so went with it. Did a lot of gentle stroking, then finally managed to pick up more time just on one foot. Built up to do small pumps and chasses on a circle and then finally cross-overs. I found it hard to assess the boots given that I haven't skated much in the past month, but the boots felt great. I did small outside edges on a serpentine and all was fine - I bit wobbly but fine. Tried inside edges and could not for the life of me hit RFI edge. Went back to outsides and they were fine. Even did a very small and careful alternating FO three turn pattern with a cross over in between, and they were OK.

I wasn't up to skating fast but eventually braved a Mohawk and back cross overs in both directions....the tongue is so stiff I couldn't bend nearly enough (best excuse ever to throw at the coach now for the next few weeks/months).

Then in my lesson coach had me do lots of gliding on a flat on one foot. She agreed the left foot was perfect, the right foot kept pulling off to the right, so I jumped off and loosened the screws and moved the blade out a fraction. We did a few more adjustments like that eventually got the right foot gliding on a flat with no problem.

Honestly speaking I think I've had that right blade in the wrong position for years now - I've never felt so on top og my right foot ever. I wonder if I made an error moving it more to the inside when I first tested them out (12 years ago :shuffle: ). It might explain my complete inability to get even a rudimentary backspin.

Anyway I then managed better cross rolls than I ever have, and did some alternating inside threes as well.

Backwards still feels strange I can't figure out if its the padding and stiffness of the tongue (the tongue padding on my old boots was all but gone), or whether the new boot (exact same model as before) has a slightly lower heel or cut lower down the Achilles but it definitely feels like i'm more on the back of the blade.

I'm putting in the rest of the screws before next week and then we'll see how it goes. Feet totally fine today. I did 20 minute bursts of skating with 5 minutes break in between for just over an hour. I may have to keep that up for a while until they start to break in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information