Potential for cancellation of Tokyo 2020

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
The thing is it's not Japan but it's IOC who have the right to decide whether Olys will happen or not. If Japan desperately want to quit hosting Olys, they are required to pay tons of money as penalty.

MsZem

I see the sea
The thing is it's not Japan but it's IOC who have the right to decide whether Olys will happen or not. If Japan desperately want to quit hosting Olys, they are required to pay tons of money as penalty.
My guess is that if the IOC wants the Olympics to go on, they'll also try to pressure Japan by threatening to withhold future summer games. Though it's not like hosting is all that appealing to most countries these days given the đź’°đź’°đź’° involved.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
From what I have heard, the organisers are pulling out all the stops to make sure the Olympics happen this summer.
What I see is that now that there are vaccines, a lot of people have decided that the only safe situation to hold a big event is if everyone at the event is vaccinated. This is not scientific and it's hopefully not the criteria that the IOC or Japan's OC is using.

Let's say half the world is vaccinated by June. This is not enough for herd immunity. But it's going to decrease cases drastically. If only half the population can even get the disease, there aren't as many hosts for the vir*s. So then the normal precautions will work that much better because your chance of coming across someone who is infected are that much lower.

It works the opposite way, as well, during the holidays when cases were so high, things that were safe to do before -- like going to the grocery store -- become unsafe because your chance of crossing paths with someone who was infected were greater.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I think it would be feasible to get the athletes and officials vaccinated to compete in a sort of bubble. What would make me uneasy is a bunch of spectators from all over the world. Maybe limit an audience, if any, to residents of Japan.

Vagabond

Olympic athletes are likely to be at the back of the line for vaccinations unless they happen to be essential workers or have an underlying condition that would give them priority.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Olympic athletes are likely to be at the back of the line for vaccinations unless they happen to be essential workers or have an underlying condition that would give them priority.

I feel like we'd see some countries make the athletes a priority (not that I agree with that but I can think of some nations who would). I'm holding on to maybe some Pollyanna hope that as more vaccines get approved and the kinks in distribution worked out that efforts will pick up steam.

At least with North American athletes, a lot of them do have to hold some sort of job outside of training to help support themselves. A lot of those are retail, food, etc. that would get classed as some tier of essential worker.

MsZem

I see the sea
The question is how fast that line is moving. If the Johnson and Johnson vaccine works, it can make a huge difference.

skipaway

If Not Tokyo, How about Florida? :rofl:

There is still time to deploy a site selection team to Florida to meet with statewide and local officials on holding the Olympics in the Sunshine State,” Patronis wrote. “I would welcome the opportunity to pitch Florida and help you make the right contacts to get this done.”

He touted Florida’s “ample hotel capacity and well-maintained transportation network” as well as the state’s “12 major universities that have existing sporting facilities.”

Apparently, that’s all you need. :rolleyes:

Aside from the infrastructure issues, Patronis’ request is “mind-bogglingly stupid” from a COVID-19 standpoint, Matheson said.
“Let’s be honest here: If Tokyo is not safe enough due to COVID to host the event, there’s no way in a million years, Florida is safe enough to host the event,” he said. “It simply means that Tokyo actually cares about whether they want a mass superspreader event in their city while Florida doesn’t.”

Vagabond

The organisers of the 2020 Olympics are planning a silent Games in Tokyo, with bans on singing and chanting among a list of restrictions officials say will protect athletes, staff and the public from coronavirus.

The IOC’s first “Covid playbook”, published on Wednesday, is aimed at sports federations and technical officials, but similar measures designed to prevent the Games from becoming a superspreader event are expected to apply to athletes – and possibly spectators – when the Olympics open on 23 July.
It sure sounds like the organizers still assume that the Games will take place.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I wish them good luck in banning singing, chanting or cheering.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
How come they aren't banning spectators instead?

Actually, I know the answer to that. They've taken their money for tickets and have spent it and can't give it back.

MsZem

I see the sea
The audience at the NHK Trophy and Japanese Nationals didn't seem to have any trouble following the rules.

If they allow tourists from abroad to attend, that might be a bigger challenge. But I trust Japanese fans to do as they're asked.

(maybe they could wave Pooh bears instead?)

once_upon

The audience at the NHK Trophy and Japanese Nationals didn't seem to have any trouble following the rules.

If they allow tourists from abroad to attend, that might be a bigger challenge. But I trust Japanese fans to do as they're asked.

(maybe they could wave Pooh bears instead?)
It might be biased and probably not true, but I think Japanese tend to be more compliant.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It might be biased and probably not true, but I think Japanese tend to be more compliant.
I've noticed that too. They are so respectful and polite. Still, it may be better to limit how many spectators anyways, regardless of nationality.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
In a sense it could have been seen that the period of state of an emergency (originally it was until 7th this month) was long enough to reduce the number of infections in 10 hot spot prefectures. PM Suga declared they extended the period until 7th March, though. I thought it was the sign that the government really wanted to hold Tokyo Olys. Some media assumed the government did so since they wanted to keep the infection number very low until ISU's committee to be held (scheduled on 10th March). Media also assumed the government/JOC were thinking about holding the Olys with only domestic spectators. I thought the idea of domestic spectators is doable. The thing is whether athletes from all over the world can come to the Olys or not.

Japanfan

Having lived in Japan, I have seen it to be true. The nail that stands up must be beaten down is a common Japanese saying. That has both good (orderly society) and not so good (lack of individuality or personality) aspects. Well, the latter is not so good from my POV.

ETA: I remember being the sole passenger in an elevator that had a female elevator attendant. I was going quite a few floors up, but the elevator stopped automatically at every floor. The attendant bowed and said 'thank you very much' every time the door opened. It was a bit freaky TBH.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Sorry to hear! I have met so many people from Japan and never had a bad experience myself.
It was in the 80s so maybe things changed but they were very rambunctious and entitled while on vacation there. The Americans were just lobsters from not wearing enough sunscreen. :lol:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
ETA: I remember being the sole passenger in an elevator that had a female elevator attendant. I was going quite a few floors up, but the elevator stopped automatically at every floor. The attendant bowed and said 'thank you very much' every time the door opened. It was a bit freaky TBH.
You found someone doing their job freaky? :confused:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Someone who observed her job?

Okay, maybe her job was to say thank you every time the door opened and closed, regardless of whether or not there were any people in the elevator.

I gotta say, I wouldn't want that job.
Well, it’s good that nobody forced you to do it then.

Ridiculing someone’s job is really obnoxious, FYI.

once_upon

Before elevators automatically opened doors when stopping, my grandma had the job of opening and closing the gates on the elevator. I believe she was required to stop on each floor and acknowledge she was there. She was thankful to have a job.

I dont know what traditions were/are in Japan but the person @Japanfan observed, was probably grateful for a job.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Having lived in Japan, I have seen it to be true. The nail that stands up must be beaten down is a common Japanese saying. That has both good (orderly society) and not so good (lack of individuality or personality) aspects. Well, the latter is not so good from my POV.

Does no one else note the irony of this poster's user name for not appreciating and respecting the cultural differences of another country influencing the expectation of someone in that job to take these actions?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Okay, maybe her job was to say thank you every time the door opened and closed, regardless of whether or not there were any people in the elevator.
The idea is to acknowledge anyone who is waiting to get on. It's not for your benefit as you are already on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information