Peacock commentator?

Cachoo

I like him. I’ve been watching at work and as much as I liked Scott Hamilton this man’s calm demeanor works for me especially in that setting. Also both his knowledge and kindness shines through. I still look for Tanith, Tara, Johnny and Terry on NBC.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Mark Hanretty, a former ice dance competitor for GBR, was selected by the ISU to provide the commentary on their live stream. That stream was picked up and re-streamed by various national broadcasters including Peacock in the USA and CBC in Canada. Having also competed as a single, and being a coach, his commentary was excellent in my opinion - knowledgeable, non-intrusive, educational, and kind (y)

Sylvia

TBD
Mark Hanretty tweeted this today: https://twitter.com/Mark_Hanretty/status/1376139856737406978
Thanks to @ISU_Figure having me commentate on 2021 Worlds.
An incredible week beautifully bringing the skating world together in challenging times.
I speak for all in saying how proud/grateful we are to all involved for creating a fabulous event to showcase our glorious sport!
Hanretty displayed his flexibiity in 2 alternative commentary stances on his Instagram account ;):
https://www.instagram.com/p/CM4DzeNLGn_/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CM7WSLJrgBT/

Yuri

I really enjoyed Mark's commentary on my Peacock stream and found him to be extremely knowledgeable on all disciplines and found the perfect mix of minimalist commentary during the live performance while providing excellent analysis during the replays. You could also tell he had a real love of figure skating and, after learning of his background of a former singles skater who competed internationally in ice dancing, now I understand why.

Mark reminded me of the British commentary on Eurosport when they had live commercial-free coverage back when I used to travel to Europe for international competitions. While I do like Terry Gannon and Tabitha Belbin White on American ice dancing coverage, I preferred Mark's handling of the coverage. Maybe I just love accents from UK commentators, LOL.

gatorinfl

Mark Hanretty, a former ice dance competitor for GBR, was selected by the ISU to provide the commentary on their live stream. That stream was picked up and re-streamed by various national broadcasters including Peacock in the USA and CBC in Canada. Having also competed as a single, and being a coach, his commentary was excellent in my opinion - knowledgeable, non-intrusive, educational, and kind (y)
Thanks for the details. I really like him. I hope that the Peacock stream continues using the ISU stream with him.

antmanb

I love Mark Hanretty, he is incredibly knowledgeable. I've had the pleasure of attending a number of adult skating camps where he was a coach. He managed to fix a technique issue I was having on the flip, he really does break things down and explains them so well.

quartz

scratching at the light
I love Mark Hanretty, he is incredibly knowledgeable. I've had the pleasure of attending a number of adult skating camps where he was a coach. He managed to fix a technique issue I was having on the flip, he really does break things down and explains them so well.
You, you KNOW him?? Will you tell him that there’s a wacky old lady named quartz who thinks he’s adorable, next time you see him please.

semogal

Looks like I am in the minority. I was disappointed to find that Peacock was going to use a stream with commentary. I prefer just watching without someone talking during the performance. I will say Mark's lovely accent made it a little less annoying.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Looks like I am in the minority. I was disappointed to find that Peacock was going to use a stream with commentary. I prefer just watching without someone talking during the performance. I will say Mark's lovely accent made it a little less annoying.
You are not alone, Semogal. After a season of almost no comments on Peacock, I was quite disappointed when, at the start of the ladies SPs, a voice was heard... not that he isn’t knowledgeable...he IS, with a pleasant voice. I just love experiencing each program “on my own,” relishing in the music. In that regard, I give kudos to Ted Barton, who shuts up during the entire program and talks during bows & replays. If I want to confirm an element, such as type of jump, I read the little box in the upper-left corner. I don’t need to hear, “Oh, down on the quad toe!” when I can clearly see the fall with my own eyes. :)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I was annoyed too. Until the first skater when I realized (1) his voice is really easy to ignore and (2) when you didn't ignore it, he was saying something interesting.

I do think he got "chattier" as the event progressed so I preferred early Mark to later Mark but it was still pretty easy to concentrate on the skating during the actual program and only listen to the commentary during the review.

VGThuy

I personally have a bias against him, but I do think as far as commentators go, he's one of the better ones.

VGThuy

:confused: You hate Scottish accents? I find him pretty innocuous so am confused as to what bias against him someone could have.
Back in 2016 Worlds. His commentary was quite nasty towards the Shibs and even said they were only having success because of the great American institution pushing them for Worlds in Boston. He would compliment their actual skills during say the pattern dance, but still act like there was no explanation as to how they all of a sudden pushed ahead. It wasn't just me. A lot of people on Youtube when their SD was first published there with the Eurosport commentary were wondering what he had against them considering his commentary. Someone even asked him about it in an interview later on.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Back in 2016 Worlds. His commentary was quite nasty towards the Shibs and even said they were only having success because of the great American institution pushing them for Worlds in Boston. He would compliment their actual skills during say the pattern dance, but still act like there was no explanation as to how they all of a sudden pushed ahead.

I just KNEW the Shib sibs had to be involved.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
To be fair, I wasn't the only one who wondered what issue he had with them. Later on, he said Madison Chock was the greatest female ice dancer competing so I think I got the answer.
Never said you did, but I know your skating faves pretty well. :)

VGThuy

:eek: That’s... an opinion...
I mean she is a beautiful actual dancer. She can move to a rhythm. But when you have the likes of Gabriella Papadakis and Tessa Virtue among the competition...

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I enjoyed the 45 minute conversation between Jackie Wong (RockerSkating) and Mark Hanretty that Jackie hosted on Instagram last evening. I hope they do it again at some point.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I mean she is a beautiful actual dancer. She can move to a rhythm. But when you have the likes of Gabriella Papadakis and Tessa Virtue among the competition...
Tessa isn't among the competition anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information