Papadakis/Cizeron #9 - People Will See Them And Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcash

To nick pick, I thought they were a tiny bit late for the music at the end, compared to practice footage. And did the slow motion show Gabi with a small stumble during her twizzle within the pattern?

Isabelle.G

To nick pick, I thought they were a tiny bit late for the music at the end, compared to practice footage. And did the slow motion show Gabi with a small stumble during her twizzle within the pattern?

It looked like she ended that twizzle on two feet or stumbled a bit. Also the lift at the end... I expected a new one on the other hand this one fits the music well. (Sorry, I'm horrible at knowing the technical terms).
They probably focused mostly on the fd and debuting the rhythm dance on home soil with the genre not typical for them didn't help.. but they were terrific, imo. I enjoyed it even though I'm not fan of the music. :D Can't wait to see it grow throughout the season!

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Congrats on their season beginning. Gaby was a bit off technically today, not as sharp as usual but I guess they did develop this RD rather late. Hopefully, it'll be sharper by GPF. Guillaume was speeding like a Ferrari in the pattern maybe that explains too. He was super focused today. I think by Euros this should be really great. This is definitely a crowd-pleaser and I love the ending pose, very campy by P/C's standards.

millyskate

I've never seen Guillaume have so much fun skating, and I do like the new final lift. The program will be more polished as the season progresses - it's definitely the best RD this season. Fear/Gibson have some competition in the entertainment department.

Laney

I think they were even faster in the practice. They were a bit tense in the RD today. Maybe. It's such an overwhelming feeling to see them live, I couldn't say they made mistakes. But what I can say that for sure they are the fastest skater. They are in general at a different level. I'm really grateful to be able to be in Grenoble and see them live! The RD is really so much fun and a crowd pleaser. But also us fans! 😍

ballettmaus

So thinking about it, one solution would be that the boots with the blades are placed in a sealed container which only the air crew have a key to.

When you fly with small planes that have limited hand luggage space, they ask you to drop off it off right outside the plane, stow it inside the plane's belly and return it to you when you leave. Same when you take a stroller on any plane. I'm sure they could make similar arrangements for skaters if someone put their mind to it. But skating is probably not popular enough for anyone to bother.

As much as I love being in the US, it sucks that I'm now in the Youtube live-streaming geo-blocked zone! Couldn't they have skated last week? Who would have thought that one day I'd have better access to skating coverage in Germany?! ;)

millyskate

When you fly with small planes that have limited hand luggage space, they ask you to drop off it off right outside the plane, stow it inside the plane's belly and return it to you when you leave. Same when you take a stroller on any plane. I'm sure they could make similar arrangements for skaters if someone put their mind to it. But skating is probably not popular enough for anyone to bother.

A number of European companies have started to do this for larger items of hand luggage in the past couple of years, BA being one of them. You have the luggage with you but hand it over on the tarmac. Airlines are notoriously rubbish at allowing for special arrangements of any kind though.

bcash

The stream was very stutter-y. Just saw the Italian commentary version posted on YT. They looked in the zone today. Loved Gabi's emotional commitment and her upper body expression throughout, which speaks abandon, vulnerability, but also strength and expansiveness. The hair too was somehow very effective with the simple black dress. Can't put my finger on why, just an air of compelling innocence.

In that first rotational life: the steady acceleration with Gabi in full stretch and a beautifully subtle deceleration right before he lowered her to the ice --- a perfect example of fine physical control having an aesthetic effect. This is the kind of detail that sets them apart.

Last edited:

deegee

anyone know off the top of their head how their teb scores stacked up against the rest of the top 10 who have appeared on the gp circuit thus far?

millyskate

Loved Gabi's emotional commitment and her upper body expression throughout, which speaks abandon, vulnerability, but also strength and expansiveness.
Yes, you could see at the end what it took out of her.
I really like this program, think it's one of their best. It's the first time they've gone full-out contemporary dance, without compromise. I actually quite like the poetry, it contributes to the atmosphere and is part of "putting one's soul out on the ice". It's too much for some.
Glad the judges liked it.

bcash

anyone know off the top of their head how their teb scores stacked up against the rest of the top 10 who have appeared on the gp circuit thus far?

Do you mean technical scores? G/P posted a 70 for their FD at SCI, so Gabi and Guillaume is about 5 points ahead of the current leader in that segment. Not as big a lead as I expected.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
The key one will be to see how much S/K will get on their first GP. They are the one to watch closely in terms of how close they can get to P/C. I'd expect their RD to do quite well. Their FD however looks underwhelming but maybe the judges will feel differently.
They also left couple of levels on the table today, well Gabby did, she hasn't been as precise as last year at the beginning of the season. Many mistakes yesterday and level 2 for her today plus a wonky looking first twizzles. Plus they again need to work on those step sequences, just level 3 in RD and today.
I feel they were very anxious about presenting both programs this year. The RD is a true departure from what they have done and they were very late on their preparation. This FD looks challenging and they were probably unsure how the judges would react. I'm expecting the next outing to be much more secure.

GreenGan

I didn't really like that FD on the Masters, but there, I was taken. The last FD of the two previous years I was blown away by the technical but now I really see the artistical points, the intention. I could talk about little things here and there that I didn't quite like, but this just fades away when you remembre the wholeness of it. It was everything, and really here this expression can be used litteraly.

I couldn't be in the rink today, and boy now I am disappointed. Thank you, Gabriella and Guillaume. It was gorgeous.

laviemn

The FD was incredible! All the issues I had with the poem and the recitation and the costumes just melted away as I watched it. I thought I would get into it by Euros like last season, when I was initially lukewarm about their FD, but I already love this more than Duet.

The poem didn't stick out to me like a sore thumb like at Masters. I think the performance here was so intense and in the zone that I was focused on them and Forest Blakk's voice receded into the background.

dramagrrl

This is my favourite P/C FD since To Build a Home. I don't really know why, because on its own, I think the spoken word piece is pretentious as hell, but they manage to elevate it somehow. I also think the all-black costuming works perfectly with the program and the music.

Isabelle.G

This is my favourite P/C FD since To Build a Home. I don't really know why, because on its own, I think the spoken word piece is pretentious as hell, but they manage to elevate it somehow. I also think the all-black costuming works perfectly with the program and the music.

And it'll definitely get even better. It reminds so much of their Odduadua free dance: it was as well quite challenging in terms of (probably) having clear ideas in your head of what you want to show/interpret/point at by this dance and yet finding the best way possible to actually do it on the ice and get the audience to connect to it.

I only hope they'll play a bit with their costumes. I like the idea of black colour, but I'd change Gabi's dress a bit...

Laney

People will see them and will cry - oh yes!!! That was quite emotional to see! They got a standing ovation of nearly everybody. I got goosebumps seeing Find you. All these emotions! They are the queen and the king of ice dance! Another level of everybody else. :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:
Oh, and I love Gabriellas dorkiness at the victory ceremony :D She's a funny girl, I love it ;)

deegee

i still can't figure out what the shiny chain link looking thing was from the costume tease gabriella posted last week. i saw that the leotard had a shiny buckle on the belt but it didn't look like the chain in her photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information