Papadakis/Cizeron #8 - Oh Lover Hold On

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

When the best train together sooner or later, it turns out that not everything is so perfect. So I suppose it's not such a great thing as sometimes we can hear. It was the same case with Virtue/Moir and Davis/White. It was the same with Grishuk/Platov and Krylova/Ovsannikov in the 1990s.

Some people say how perfect it was for Hanyu and Fernandez. But even they didn't train at the same rink before Olympics. Also while Hanyu was only interested in gold, Fernandez just wanted medal.

So I'm not really surprised that VM joining Gadbois wasn't something that made Gabi and Guillaume happy. And I think it's good that they don't pretend that it was so perfect for them.

It was up to P/C to decide if they wanted things to change or not. It was a challenge but it was a challenge that P/C were more than capable of rising up to. And they did. No one knows for sure but IMHO by Olympics they were a better team than they would have been had they not been training alongside V/m. Was it a comfortable existence for the 2 yrs? Probably not. But certainly it was a very productive 2 yrs. And they are still evolving which is a really good thing as S/K are improving and the judges seem to really like them.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
2. There were 2 costumes but the general design was similar and moreover the zip & hooks were identical AFAIK hence sewing the top was mandatory in both cases.

I believe it was noted (in a PC thread, no less) the second costume was a thinner band at the top, and thus had one less hook, and had less material to hold the costume's weight.

But it doesn't matter - everyone involved really felt the stitching was enough to hold the costume. Wasn't that said in the interview? Why keep harking on about other conspiracies/scoring/how awful Gadbois was?

Why don't you bring up the Korean fans again for fun and frolic? That was a good conspiracy theory.

It was up to P/C to decide if they wanted things to change or not. It was a challenge but it was a challenge that P/C were more than capable of rising up to. And they did. No one knows for sure but IMHO by Olympics they were a better team than they would have been had they not been training alongside V/m. Was it a comfortable existence for the 2 yrs? Probably not. But certainly it was a very productive 2 yrs. And they are still evolving which is a really good thing as S/K are improving and the judges seem to really like them.

Didn't the coaching staff change their tack going into the Olympics as well? Separating the teams more? Team Gadbois learned from the 16/17 season to improve their work for their teams going into the Olympic season. That's huge.

It makes sense P&C not loving the change in Gadbois when V&M came back. They were top-tops. No one was touching them, they probably enjoyed all the perks that came with that. It's tough to feel like you're pushed off a pedestal, but I think it was one that would have caused them more trouble as competitors eventually regardless.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
What did they skate to?

I recognized the music right away from @bluebonnets video clip. The music was Oblivion by Gidon Kremer. I first fell in love with the song when Punsalan & Swallow used it for their Free Dance program at the 1998 Olympics and Worlds. Here's a video of their Free Dance to Oblivion:

Punsalan & Swallow - 1998 Worlds

It made my day when P/C used it for their RD, and I fell in love with their program, too.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
2 minutes of the last part of Gabi and Guillaume ex (power over me) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f706HLYB5l4
Also this video that just popped of gabi and Guillaume in 2010 in world junior : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4HQRHU_4E , I had never seen that quality of picture from this program.
Sharp quality indeed. If someone would have told them "Guys, three years later you'll be senior World Champion" I bet they would have never believed it.
H/D are already working on their programs and we have a hint at their music. I wish P/C would be that open but we all know we need to wait for the first GP, not even sure they would do a B comp this year as they have time to develop their programs not like in an Olympic year.

sharsk8s

Sharp quality indeed. If someone would have told them "Guys, three years later you'll be senior World Champion" I bet they would have never believed it.
H/D are already working on their programs and we have a hint at their music. I wish P/C would be that open but we all know we need to wait for the first GP, not even sure they would do a B comp this year as they have time to develop their programs not like in an Olympic year.
We will be lucky if we get to see their programs at masters this season

arakwafan2006

Am i the only one that understood her as meaning i wish them well but i wouldn’t be sad if one of them messed up an element and we won? They went into the Olympics super confident and in line to win. Though i believe the right team won, if the dress didn’t come undone , the French wouldn’t have made errors and the Canadians would be two time silver medalists. I didn’t think Gabby meant she hated Tessa and hoped she’d fall but, a bobble could have reversed the order of the top
Two

sharsk8s

Am i the only one that understood her as meaning i wish them well but i wouldn’t be sad if one of them messed up an element and we won? They went into the Olympics super confident and in line to win. Though i believe the right team won, if the dress didn’t come undone , the French wouldn’t have made errors and the Canadians would be two time silver medalists. I didn’t think Gabby meant she hated Tessa and hoped she’d fall but, a bobble could have reversed the order of the top
Two
Don't really want to start up this argument again because everyone has their own interpretation but imo it wasn't that she wanted v/m personally to not do well, she basically just wanted to win, it wouldn't matter who the team was. I think that is a natural reaction in the moment.

Rossig

In north America the skaters are responsible for their costumes and for the most part their music and choreography. RE: music and choreo.coaches will often suggest but it is the skaters decision.

So does it depend on the continent where you train? I personally doubt there's such a rule nowadays. For example VM have always trained in North America but usually the music for their programs was chosen by their coaches. As far as I know they wanted to skate to Pride and Prejudice in 2014 Olympic season but their coach didn't agree.

On the other hand Zagorski and Guerreiro who train in Russia seem to have a free hand in their choices (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my impression).

I'm sure there are many more examples which deny what you said.

Peepsquick

If you’re on Facebook, go check a group called Dancefloor. They have shared the On ice perspectives video of P/C’s tango.

IMO, Cowan should video all of P/C’s programs like that. It might make more people to appreciate icedance.

Thank you so much @Enchanted! This is indeed great for ice dance and Dancefloor is definitively going to be a favorite of mine: they have clips of amazing dancers and dance performances! It is mind boggling at times.

alain06fr

So does it depend on the continent where you train? I personally doubt there's such a rule nowadays. For example VM have always trained in North America but usually the music for their programs was chosen by their coaches. As far as I know they wanted to skate to Pride and Prejudice in 2014 Olympic season but their coach didn't agree.

On the other hand Zagorski and Guerreiro who train in Russia seem to have a free hand in their choices (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my impression).

I'm sure there are many more examples which deny what you said.

Fully agree. I’ve never heard about such North American rules either. It’s really up to the skaters and coaches to agree on the way to proceed. In Gadbois, the scope of involvement is for sure not the same for all skaters.

By scope of involvement, I am referring to music selection, music adaptation, costume design, rhythm/footwork correlation, choreography, body language, artistic expression, etc etc.

Regarding P/C, the level of involvement is quite high considering Gabriella and Guillaume’s talents in the various topics listed above, keeping in mind they also work with external choreographers.

Last edited:

Darling

G&G and Gasbois coaches is a success story.
A success story for G&G
A success story for Gadbois coaches (MFD, Romain, PL, Catherine Pinard, etc.)
[/ QUOTE]

Tell me please, Catherine Pinard continues to cooperate with the Gadbois team?

And, if not a secret how many approximately there is an hour of work with coaches?

sharsk8s

I think they have said that they do two, two hour sessions on the ice a day. And then spend more time doing off ice. Yes Catherine Pinard still works with Gadbois to my knowledge.

skatfan

It seems FFSG wants Cizeron to focus on his own skating this season. Therefore he won’t choreograph for J/C.

I think this makes sense - it’s not like he choreographed the program over the summer and that was it - he watched their comps and did touch-ups during the season which pulled focus from his own skating. There’s a reason that very few competitive skaters choreograph for other elite int’l Skaters. Misha Ge is the only one I can think of who’s done it recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information