Papadakis/Cizeron #8 - Oh Lover Hold On

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharsk8s

It’ll be interesting to see what Gabriella and Guillaume will do in the future, after their competitive careers. Will they be involved in coaching or something else.
I know guillaume was/is (i'm not sure) going to school and studying something in finance or business. I am guessing that he will stay in the skating field since he has already done choreography and seems interested in it. Gabi I'm not as sure about. I wouldn't be surprised if they do stay in skating (which I would love). I think it will be more clear as they begin to approach retirement, which hopefully won't be for a while.

Nmsis

I'm unsure ice dance judges give a flying fart about Olivier Schönfelder's students :(
Depends on whom.
The last real star couples made in Lyon were Zahorski / Miart and Lagouge / Rahier.
None of them had the harsh treatment Papadakis / Cizeron got in their junior years (1st year especially, but also the first half of their 3rd year and one event in their 4th/final year when, while battling with Stepanova / Bukin for the top step, they got beaten at the the NRW Trophy by .................... *drum roll* ................................................. Koch and Nuchtern (I'm still laughing at the ridiculous scores).

But it's Catherine who sent P/C to Lyon right ?
She is the one who called Lyon for help in 2010.

laviemn

I don't know how it was between Gaby and her mum but talking about personal experience here, you can sometimes teach things to your own kids you can't to other, the opposite being true too though. When a kid relies solely on external training, he/she won't be able to get the same amount of time dedicated to him/her than a coach/parent who is constantly present on the ice infusing advice on a day to day basis. Again, I don't know that it was like this for Gaby and her mum but I do recall an interview where one of them mentioned the role of mum/coach being fused at times. If done in a smart way, your kid can really benefit from those daily tips and constant reminders. I taught piano to my kids and the fact that I hear them play every day and can intervene to help them out whenever, is an advantage compared to a kid who has only his teacher for a couple of hours a week. Of course, there is a danger of being overbearing to the point where the kid opposes resistance. That is where Gaby's mum must have been a great coach knowing when to step away and intervene. I also don't want to imply she wouldn't do marvel with other kids just maybe not to the same degree than with Gaby and Guillaume due to their special circumstances.
I also remember Mark Hanretty being the only commentators raving, while commenting their SD performance at World 2016 (the waltz), about the role Gaby's mum played to help them develop their great basics.

That's an interesting perspective I hadn't thought of. Gabi has said some things that make me think that time was a struggle for her, that she was rebellious and changing coaches was good for their relationship.

And yes, I distinctly remember Mark Hanretty making a point of giving her mom a shout out at that competition. I think I remember it because the Canadian commentaters didn't even acknowledge Romain's presence at that event, and it was such a contrast.

Arribert’s choreography is not my cup of tea. I find it dated. I hope the other French icedance centers will equip their skaters with more modern choreography.

The impression I always had when watching her programs is that it was a lot of artistic ambition that the skaters didn't have the technical skills to execute effectively. I used to wonder if I would have liked Blanc/Bouquet's programs more if they were just better skaters.

ETA: Since we're discussing that period of Gabi & Guillaume's lives, here's a throwback photo I've never seen. Guillaume and the camera had a mutual love for each other even then.

https://twitter.com/Sk84it/status/1101610001955721223

Last edited:

sharsk8s

I really hope to see some great young french teams. They always bring something special to the ice dance field but I don't see any top talent in the current junior pool (correct me if I'm wrong). I think romain leaving (being one of if not the top coach in the country) really hurt french dance overall since he doesn't even choreograph for any non-gadbois french teams nowadays while a few years ago so many french ice dancers had his programs. But there is no one to blame other than FFSG for causing p/c along with romain to leave. Happy their are thriving in canada. Does it make anyone else a little annoyed when they say that gabi and gui are coached by MF and Patch without mentioning Romain half the time even though it is clear that he is probably the closest thing to their head coach. He deserves so much more credit. He choreographed for over half the junior teams in canada and did most of my favorite gadbois programs this year.

Orm Irian

Galyavieva/Thauron are a new team, young seniors, but they've really gelled in the past few months and should start climbing the ranks next season - give them some time and they could even overtake Lauriault/Le Gac. They're not a Gadbois team. They have a style of their own, quite different from Gabi and Guillaume's, that's developing nicely and some good choreography in their free dance; I'd love to see them stick together and become France's no. 2 team.

Nmsis

I really hope to see some great young french teams. They always bring something special to the ice dance field but I don't see any top talent in the current junior pool (correct me if I'm wrong).
Since Corentin Rahier called it quit at the begining of the season (it is a heartbreak for french ice dance to lose such a talent), France doesn't have a ready-made top couple in junior. And it doesn't have the ready-made top ice dance center it used to have because Gailhaguet said so. (and IMHO, said center definitly lacked psychological support / couple building process to have left so many super talented junior dancers vanish into the air,).

Now what we have are talented young dancers and some coaches of development centers who are trying to gather the conditions to become top centers (crucial ice time, competences, off-ice training). This is still in the making (plus whatever Fabian is preparing in Bercy) so there is a lack of visibility.
France is transitioning to a post-Lyon era and we've still to see how it will work out.
But there definitly are some very interesting young french dancers coming.

millyskate

Some actually do. For instance she worked as an "advisor" for Abachkina/Thauron when they were coached by Shpilband/Bourzat. Some others consult her on a regular basis. She works with Zoe Jones and Christopher Boyadji (although they aren't French nor dancers). As for being the full time coach of an elite couple, Nmsis explained it : big name needed at the boards.
I know what you mean, but I suspect Papadakis has got a bit of a head-start in terms of being a recognisable name at the boards :lol: It's distinctive and subconsciously associated with gold medals. If she wanted a career as an elite coach, now would probably be the time.

sharsk8s

It's official, Gabi and Guillaume will be doing CSOI in Ottowa and Laval. Really excited they will finally be doing a show in the NA (I might even be able to go). Hopefully this will help grown their NA fanbase and be a good opportunity for them.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
It's official, Gabi and Guillaume will be doing CSOI in Ottowa and Laval. Really excited they will finally be doing a show in the US (I might even be able to go). Hopefully this will help grown their NA fanbase and be a good opportunity for them.
What show are they doing in the US? :confused: Ottawa and Laval are in Canada.

annie_mg

I know what you mean, but I suspect Papadakis has got a bit of a head-start in terms of being a recognisable name at the boards :lol: It's distinctive and subconsciously associated with gold medals. If she wanted a career as an elite coach, now would probably be the time.
Isn't Gabriella's mum's last name not Papadakis? I thought her dad was the one with the greek name? (sorry, as a P/C I should have known this already....)

laviemn

Isn't Gabriella's mum's last name not Papadakis? I thought her dad was the one with the greek name? (sorry, as a P/C I should have known this already....)

She kept her ex-husband's surname, her name is Catherine Papadakis.

Happy for the NA fans who might get to see them live. I'm starting to realize there might be just 1 more chance to see them compete live in NA ever, I should start seriously working out a trip to Montreal 2020.

Last edited:

twinklestar

I really hope to see some great young french teams. They always bring something special to the ice dance field but I don't see any top talent in the current junior pool (correct me if I'm wrong). I think romain leaving (being one of if not the top coach in the country) really hurt french dance overall since he doesn't even choreograph for any non-gadbois french teams nowadays while a few years ago so many french ice dancers had his programs. But there is no one to blame other than FFSG for causing p/c along with romain to leave. Happy their are thriving in canada. Does it make anyone else a little annoyed when they say that gabi and gui are coached by MF and Patch without mentioning Romain half the time even though it is clear that he is probably the closest thing to their head coach. He deserves so much more credit. He choreographed for over half the junior teams in canada and did most of my favorite gadbois programs this year.
French ice dance is finished since Romain Haguenauer left France. I heard he didn't get on well with Muriel Zazoui, and at the same time Dubreuil asked him to come help her in Canada.

sharsk8s

French ice dance is finished since Romain Haguenauer left France. I heard he didn't get on well with Muriel Zazoui, and at the same time Dubreuil asked him to come help her in Canada.
I don't think it had much to do with him and Zazoui but more Zazoui and french fed weren't getting along and Romain was trapped in the middle. Surprisingly two french teams are in the top 10 at JR worlds in a relatively packed field. Don't see huge amounts of potential, but you never know. Wonder if some french jr team will join all the canadian jr teams in montreal. If I were a french jr team I would at least head over there for the summer to get some good choreo. I wouldn't mind them going to any other training center (such as Novi or Maryland) but Romain has a reputation in france. I just feel like I can't see any of these junior teams growing much more if they don't make a switch.

twinklestar

I don't think it had much to do with him and Zazoui but more Zazoui and french fed weren't getting along and Romain was trapped in the middle. Surprisingly two french teams are in the top 10 at JR worlds in a relatively packed field. Don't see huge amounts of potential, but you never know. Wonder if some french jr team will join all the canadian jr teams in montreal. If I were a french jr team I would at least head over there for the summer to get some good choreo. I wouldn't mind them going to any other training center (such as Novi or Maryland) but Romain has a reputation in france. I just feel like I can't see any of these junior teams growing much more if they don't make a switch.
There was also a feud between Zazoui and Haguenauer. They had different views about managing the skaters, what to teach them and so on. Haguenauer wanted to take after Zazoui and she wasn't ready for that. She didn't let him do what he wanted to do. Also, stop blaming the French fed or whoever for a decision an adult took. The guy is not a child! He knew very well what consequences his decision of leaving France would have for French skaters and French ice dance. Junior French teams joining junior Canadian teams is not going to happen for multiple reasons: school, family + the Canadians won't allow Haguenauer to help emerge new talented non Canadian juniors. Now, Arribert: she isn't capable of giving the technical package to her junior teams. Chalons is fine but only until novice level.(but who knows, they're still new in the game)

laviemn

Gabi was voted most popular current female athlete in France in a poll commissioned by TF1
https://www.europe1.fr/sport/papadakis-et-manaudou-sportives-preferees-des-francais-3870011

It would nice if French skating could find a way to use the current success of their top skaters, including Vanessa & Morgan, and the increasing buzz around Kevin, to improve the sport's popularity. I remember in DelSchoes' day when the French tour did a televised show in Bercy.

It's been great for the French skaters that the Fed has supported them in leaving France for better coaching, but part of me wonders if Didier also doesn't want any domestic coaches gaining too much success and influence.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
It's official, Gabi and Guillaume will be doing CSOI in Ottowa and Laval. Really excited they will finally be doing a show in the NA (I might even be able to go). Hopefully this will help grown their NA fanbase and be a good opportunity for them.
OOOMMMGGGGGG!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAASSSSSS!!!!!! 😍😍😍😍🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻

barbarafan

I believe Romain is booked as head coach along with Patch & MFD. He has been doing lots of junior teams choreo and I love what he is doing there. Some of the FD I love the most I find out later he did the most. I believe he did Natalie's and Bruces FD at TCC(kill me if I am wrong) and this was my fav. from the Juniors. They had problems executing their RD but always jumped multiple spots with the FD. I think the direction of P/C's natural artistry is more suited to MFD and others and that is why he first brought P/C to do choreography with MFD. He is brilliant so it is a shame that other French teams aren't using him but it is France's loss and the rest of the world's gain.

sharsk8s

I understand it would be difficult for french teams to train with him full time but I think they should go to him for choreography and some time over the summer like many of the canadian and british teams do

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
It's been great for the French skaters that the Fed has supported them in leaving France for better coaching, but part of me wonders if Didier also doesn't want any domestic coaches gaining too much success and influence.

That is a very recent development and IMO, the fed is not THAT happy about that either. (THAT = training abroad).
But you can't kick all the good coaches because you have no power over them and at the same time think you have everything home when clearly you don't.
And he broke the Lyon school. It's his own fault (his = Didier). He knows it and doesn't care because so far, it has worked so well. He got Brian to open a full school that looks promising with skaters coming back. That's what he sells.

Lyon may be rebuilt later on without Zazoui's influence (or her husband who is Didier's main problem IMO). But it'll take time for it to come back full force despite the very good skaters there.
Villard isn't going to be going full force because they do lack ice time to become competitive on the international scene. A sad thing IMO considering what Arribert does with her students.

twinklestar

They could do both...

Maybe because they will be doing the CSOI in Ottawa and Laval which is on the 28th of April and 1st of May while the Stars sur Glace are on the 20 and 21st of April. But this is just speculation on my part.
If it's a choice because they can't do both, then it's a bad choice.

Maybe the French shows don't pay well, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information