Papadakis/Cizeron #10 - Waacking All The Way To Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peepsquick

I wonder if her mother's hyperintensity and seeming inability to see Gabby separate from her talent is a problem. She just seems in comparison to her dad too caught up and very ambitious. Like she's living her life through her daughter.

Just MHO, I may be off. But I hope Gabby knows and really understands that as much as we love them our parents are flawed and her happiness shouldn't be tied to any relationship except that with her creator.

It hurts though that so many talented ice dancers are ignored and called weak for being depressed. EI struggled with similar issues when she moved to Michigan with RZ, but many around just bullied, harrassed and fat shamed her.

I have even greater respect for Guillame after this for his generousity of spirit and for believing in her. That to me is why their chemistry is so mesmerizing on ice. They share a love that is anything but shallow.
For me, what stands out most are all the moments where Gabriella felt alone, not abandoned but deeply alone.

Peepsquick

Hmm...How I wished they had English subtitles.
It seems that there is now an option for automatic translation on youtube. I tried it ... it's bad but better than nothing for people who do not speak French at all. I don't think it's your case, though. Right?

canbelto

About Gabby’s mom I’m not surprised. Most figure skating parents are extremely overbearing.

skatfan

Do you have a link to the English translation version? The link above only has CC in French. Thanks.
Here’s how I got the English translation. Click on the cc button to turn on closed captioning. Then go to settings button and click on captions and select “auto translate.” If it gives you language options select English. now you should get the cc in English.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Here’s how I got the English translation. Click on the cc button to turn on closed captioning. Then go to settings button and click on captions and select “auto translate.” If it gives you language options select English. now you should get the cc in English.
Thanks so much. I'll try it.
It works! I had no idea you could do that. I learned s'thing new :cheer2: Thank you!

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I have read something about this on Twitter but nobody is mentioning it here. So I’m wondering if there is an agreement not to mention the events of world Championships 2021 for Gabriella and what happened? Or are people on Twitter making things up? I don’t know French or Russian to verify but those are two sources.

Sylvia

TBD
I have read something about this on Twitter but nobody is mentioning it here. So I’m wondering if there is an agreement not to mention the events of world Championships 2021 for Gabriella and what happened? Or are people on Twitter making things up? I don’t know French or Russian to verify but those are two sources.
Link to watch the French documentary was posted (and there's some discussion) one page back in this thread and still plays: https://www.tv5unis.ca/videos/arabesque

Copying over @kirkbiggestfan's August 24th post from the French skating news thread in GSD (linked by @Gris below):
A beautiful documentary about Gabriella and Guillaume was released: "The Couple of Fire" It was made by TV5.
They followed them during the Olympic season. It is very intimate and real. The documentary lasts 90 minutes and takes time to dig deep. It is in French. I am not sure if there is a version with subtitles.

Gabriella talks about her depression in details. At one point, she revealed that she had an abortion around the World championships. She struggled with mental health and could not practice for a while.
It is a very personal subject and I am sure that the mainstream medias will follow-up with interviews on this subject. Gabriella is very brave and authentic during this documentary. She is very courageous to disclose this and I hope that the anti-abortion voices leave her alone.

Last edited:

firstflight

I’m seeing people fleshing out the nuances of translating her exact words and her tone, but there still remains a big elephant in the room in terms of how they acted. 😳 Holy moly!

Last edited:

firstflight

posjenka posted the link to a thread of her own words, translated, earlier. But I’ll post a link again: https://twitter.com/tegomass/status/1569658036444069888?s=46&t=8krDZ2oMPIzLDWep9j6Fmw

If you read this thread and the one linked lower about her mental health around the time of Finlandia, look at the responses she got. It’s easy to understand why she was scared to tell them about the abortion and her mental health struggles.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Ugh. Now someone on Twitter wants to call Gui and the coaches emotionally abusive? Clueless maybe, but abusive? :rolleyes:

In any case, I give kudos to Gabriella for being so raw and honest in this documentary. I will reiterate how glad I am that this had a happy ending for them.

Peepsquick

Ugh. Now someone on Twitter wants to call Gui and the coaches emotionally abusive? Clueless maybe, but abusive? :rolleyes:

In any case, I give kudos to Gabriella for being so raw and honest in this documentary. I will reiterate how glad I am that this had a happy ending for them.
What a mess! People misinterpret what she said. They confuse the abortion issue, which she only talked about with Guillaume and I'm guessing Romain after it was done and her subsequent depression bouts during the Olympic season. That is when she felt alone because there was a decision to take (pushing herself to be able to compete or deciding to just take a break and not going to the OG) and once it had been taken, she had to make it work. She was indeed stuck between the proverbial rock and the hard place.

Orm Irian

What a mess! People misinterpret what she said. They confuse the abortion issue, which she only talked about with Guillaume and I'm guessing Romain after it was done and her subsequent depression bouts during the Olympic season. That is when she felt alone because there was a decision to take (pushing herself to be able to compete or deciding to just take a break and not going to the OG) and once it had been taken, she had to make it work. She was indeed stuck between the proverbial rock and the hard place.
The initial tweet thread where a poster translated Gabi's words was very limited in scope and didn't include much context, so it's easy to understand how people could misinterpret them. The poster has gone back over the same sections since then and filled in gaps, and provided/retweeted more precise translations and interpretations made by other posters, but of course that level of detail never gets as much traction, particularly if it's provided after the 'event', so to speak.

deegee

this article was posted in the dance hall thread and has a nice mention of gaby & guillaume's olys performance by sara hurtado who was doing commentary for spain's broadcast of the games:

relevant section:

"Interested in my subjective impressions of the participants? Well, Gabriella and Guillaume were by far the best – among skaters of all dicsipline! I didn’t even analyze their elements, but just watched the dance and enjoyed it. They flied above the ice as a single organism. This is the highest art! As soon as Gabriella and Guillaume stopped, I immediately wanted to watch the dance again many more times."

Sylvia

TBD
After most of their Holiday on Ice guest appearances in Germany (last one is March 1), they will perform in Opera on Ice in Torino on February 25, 2023: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj3DJ6ZIvDB/
New Show! World premiere of “Cinema on Ice” on February 25, 2023 at PalaVela in Turin. In our new format, the greatest skating champions meet the world of cinema. A wonderful cast, including Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron, Gold at the 2022 Olympics, will play the masterpieces of Maestro Ennio Morricone and the soundtracks from the movies that made the history of cinema, such as “Star Wars”, “Titanic” and “The Gladiator”. Exceptional choreographers the World Champions Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte. It will be a show never seen before, a unique experience! Tickets for “Cinema on Ice 2023” will soon be on sale through the Ticketone online circuit and at all authorized outlets. We'll be waiting for you!

synian

Gaby and Guillaume are in France promoting their book about their journey since 2014. (https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0BHT5PSV2/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1). So we are getting new articles and probably some tv shows with them to come !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information