Papadakis/Cizeron #10 - Waacking All The Way To Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Understandable and not at all surprising (I can't read the article even in translation, as it's paywalled, but the news is pretty much what I was expecting to hear).
Here's another article that isn't paywalled - https://www.ladepeche.fr/2022/06/20...-mettre-leur-carriere-en-suspens-10384362.php

Not surprising at all. They're definitely leaving the door open, especially for Worlds 2024 in Montreal. Not sure they'll try for Milano, but I could see them competing in Montreal.

deegee

i saw on one of the fan pages on facebook this morning that they have some kind of biographical book coming out later this year giving some behind-the-scenes insights into their experiences preparing for the last 2 olympics (if i understand correctly). anyone here know anything about this-- like, will the book be available in english???

synian

i saw on one of the fan pages on facebook this morning that they have some kind of biographical book coming out later this year giving some behind-the-scenes insights into their experiences preparing for the last 2 olympics (if i understand correctly). anyone here know anything about this-- like, will the book be available in english???
oh yeah !!! https://www.7joursaclermont.fr/papa...7LEv-6vCJE91gYtvOE2m6qw9msBEX5qHRY-FaJcZ5Lss0

editor : edition marabout - should be in october ...

Last edited:

muffinplus

Does anyone still really like this verson of the RD? :p

(And I also like the costumes better without the sparkly stuff )

Last edited:

deegee

Yeah, I think I actually prefer it to the version with the other music cut. And even though they took out the lift because it's a repeate from the FD, I still think it's more effective and fits with the music.
the program also feels more intimate/sensual with this choreography and music. but, i think the second version has a less jarring transition.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

They're announced as the guest star of Holiday on Ice and will skate in 8 shows.

(BTW great photo in front of Brandenburg Gate - but blades on cobblestones 😬)

ETA: I checked HoI's ticketing page and it seems their 8 shows will be:

December 8 - Rostock
December 22 - Leipzig
January 3 - Frankfurt
January 13 - Cologne
January 20 - Dortmund
January 25 - Stuttgart
February 16 - Munich
March 1 - Berlin

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

They're announced as the guest star of Holiday on Ice and will skate in 8 shows.

The article mentions they will perform in the Jan. 20, 2023 show in Dortmund: https://www.eventim.de/artist/holiday-on-ice/holiday-on-ice-a-new-day-in-dortmund-3053864/

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I could not find it on the TV5 Monde/États-Unis ...
I managed to watch the run on internet. This is an extremally intimate portrait of them and their close family. Gabby opens up about her struggles with depression, her mum and dad share some personal struggles regarding the path chosen by their daughter. Guillaume's parents are also quite open about their son's struggles. Anyway if you can speak French I recommend it while the rerun is still available.

Bigbird

I managed to watch the run on internet. This is an extremally intimate portrait of them and their close family. Gabby opens up about her struggles with depression, her mum and dad share some personal struggles regarding the path chosen by their daughter. Guillaume's parents are also quite open about their son's struggles. Anyway if you can speak French I recommend it while the rerun is still available.
Please throw us a link. Will watch regardless of not speaking French.

Peepsquick

It is a very touching portrait of Gabriella who has the guts to give us a very intimate glimpse into her life. Guillaume had already opened up through his book but Gabriella was more of a mystery. Can't help but love them even more than I did before: not just as the extraordinary skaters and artists they are but as people. I will miss them very much if they stop competing but I hope they find what will make them happy and fulfilled.

Enchanted

It is a very touching portrait of Gabriella who has the guts to give us a very intimate glimpse into her life. Guillaume had already opened up through his book but Gabriella was more of a mystery. Can't help but love them even more than I did before: not just as the extraordinary skaters and artists they are but as people. I will miss them very much if they stop competing but I hope they find what will make them happy and fulfilled.
I hope they would translate Guillaume’s book into English. It is very good.

Orm Irian

Link to watch TV5's "Le couple de feu" online: https://www.tv5unis.ca/videos/arabesque
Thank you for the link - I got through with the help of the subtitles and occasionally Google Translate on my phone. :) It was so interesting, and very personal and brave of both Gabi and Guillaume to open themselves up like that, during the Olympic year no less.

On the lighter side, wow, I want to see that program Gabi and Madison were working on at the end because it looked good.

SandraMGfan

This was such an interesting documentary - almost in their own words. Very few other people interviewed, and only very close to them.
As other people have said, hats off to Gaby for being so open about her struggles and how she has/has not tacked them.

Viscaro

Wow, thanks for sharing this documentary. A lot to unpack here. I did not known how severe Gaby’s depression was. I always thought she was unfairly treated in the FS fandom, she had so much more haters because of (internal) misogyny, but I had no idea how bad other stuff in her life were. It’s heartbreaking to see.

Not meeting the right support and understanding when you’re depressed is sadly quite common of course (even people who have been depressed do not know how to help other people in depression in my experience) but the fact that her changing coach from her mother to Hagenauer still “darkens” her relationship with her mother today ?? (As per her mother ??) And that Gabriella did not feel beautiful enough compared to other female competitors, argh I just feel so much empathy towards her.

I understand why Gaby might have lost motivation in skating, with the high level of stress and the discordance between this very gendered discipline and her awakened feminism. It’s so great she has a project with Madison Hubell though, who really shines in this documentary too (much better than on the On Edge series, where the “competition drama” was more reality tv like)

The scene when Madi does Gaby’s hair is so cute, plus they have interesting discussions.
(And I will not spoil the end of the documentary because aaaah !! So cool)

Please watch this documentary ! It’s very well shot. It reminded me of “Over the limit” (minus the abusive coach ofc), in the sense that in the end I had some sort of “guilt” of enjoying the thrill of the olympics competition even though it can break the athletes mentally and physically.

Don’t worry Guillaume is in the documentary too, haha. It’s just that to me Gaby always steals the show + he seems to have a normal family and everything. I am glad was not traumatised by the homophobic bullying he went through as a child.

Edit : I mean Guillaume is also more reserved in this documentary, but he opens a lot still, also it shows his drive more. We learn it’s him who wanted to leave Clermont for Lyon for example. Also that they both decided to leave for Canada, tell their parents and actually moved within like 10 days, at only 18 years old haha.

Last edited:

Isabelle.G

This may sound a bit too emotional and cheesy, but I'm so proud to be their fan. The joy, emotions, and thoughts that they've brought to us through their skating are invaluable.
Of course, I wish they decide to come back for a year or two but if not and this was to be their last season, there couldn't have been a better way to close this incredible chapter of their lives.

Bigbird

I wonder if her mother's hyperintensity and seeming inability to see Gabby separate from her talent is a problem. She just seems in comparison to her dad too caught up and very ambitious. Like she's living her life through her daughter.

Just MHO, I may be off. But I hope Gabby knows and really understands that as much as we love them our parents are flawed and her happiness shouldn't be tied to any relationship except that with her creator.

It hurts though that so many talented ice dancers are ignored and called weak for being depressed. EI struggled with similar issues when she moved to Michigan with RZ, but many around just bullied, harrassed and fat shamed her.

I have even greater respect for Guillame after this for his generousity of spirit and for believing in her. That to me is why their chemistry is so mesmerizing on ice. They share a love that is anything but shallow.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
It was a great doc. I was surprised at how frank they were about their lives. Thank God for college French and the caption option . Otherwise, I'd have been lost. :shuffle:

In other news Gabi has another new collection of workout clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information