Osmond to skip Grand Prix (and more?)

MAXSwagg

Her stock went up with the Olympic bronze and World Gold. I don't know whether her financial 'worth' is equal to that of Chan's, but it could be. If I were her agent, I'd be pushing for payments close to or the same as those given to Chan.

Oh, no. Is she really deserving Chan-level accolades? I doubt so.

antmanb

gosh I didn’t realize Canada was soooo different than the US. Like the complete opposite. USFS has been sending it’s top 2 to duke it out at SA since like the 70s and of course memorable ones like Kwan vs Lipinski in 97 and Harding vs Yamaguchi in 91 are still popular YouTube videos. From a ticket sales perspective, it makes sense. But since you guys will apparently pay $ for things you don’t even know anything about, I guess SC doesn’t have that problem.
I’ve been to about 7 SAs, always getting tickets after I know the skaters, sometimes at the very last minute.
Gosh, who would have thunk it. Ticket to cabaret? Don’t even bother telling me who’s playing sally bowles, here’s my credit card # :p

If Sally Bowles was played by an non American then you'd presumably not hand over your credit card? :p

Try being an English skating fan....I wouldn't even be able to by tickets to internationals if it was dependent on British skaters being there let alone being top drawer :rofl:

Some people just like watching skating regardless of the nationality...dare I say most people?

Colleen

I am confused why buying SC tickets before lineups are announced is so weird. I bought SA tickets and I have no idea who is competing in Everett. Was it just us Canadians who bought SA tickets? Are Americans waiting to hear whether Ashley or Kwan will attend?
Me too Mahn - maybe the place will be full of us Canadian fans of great skating!

Can't wait to see Kaetlyn and the rest of the skaters at the Thank You Canada tour. This is a big year for live events for my friend and me - Canadians, Skate America and the Thank You Canada show - and the Grand Prix Final!

Last edited:

Dobre

I am confused why buying SC tickets before lineups are announced is so weird. I bought SA tickets and I have no idea who is competing in Everett. Was it just us Canadians who bought SA tickets?

Nope, we have tickets. It's the post-Olympic season. Sometimes the big name on the posters, banners, and life-size cardboard cutouts pulls out two weeks before the event. (At my first SA in 2002, Sasha pulled out shortly before and Yagudin had to pull out halfway through the competition). But you never know who's going to have a great skate anyway. Going in just to see person A & person B is a pretty easy way to be disappointed when they aren't quite ready or don't skate their best. Often enough it's person Z who has the unexpected performance of a lifetime. They maybe don't win, but still . . . it's frequently someone you don't expect that has the performance you never forget.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Of you get to see someone like Rubleva staying in the KnC and watching her competitors -- not her teammates, either -- and clapping for them. :respec:

Rock2

To add to the discussion/thread drift about popularity/marketability, I was listening to the radio today and they were talking about the tour coming in the fall. The guy talking listed all the headlining names and then got really excited that Elvis Stojko was coming to town :rofl::wall::scream:

Canada has a long history of success in men's skating. Stojko and Browning were the guys filling 17,000 seat arenas for national championships.

Despite our success in other disciplines, only V/M have been able to develop a star power that matches any man at home. B/K, S/P, B/I, Manley got close but still not quite at the same level. I think that's why even the socially awkward Chan pulls in endorsements more than most others. OK, 3 World Championships doesn't help, I get it, but still....

KO will continue to have an awesome career. I think her next step is to find another level in packaging and performing ability so she can break through internationally. Her 2013 short was a step in the right direction but since then everything has been pretty generic although well done. Only her recent short has had any real smattering of an identity.

I want to see her bring audiences closer to her. She definitely has all the tools. Now just need to make the right choices.

Rock2

I can't think of any skater in recent memory who has been through the spin cycle to the extent she has in a quadrennial. The mental and physical toll on her - as she alluded to - has to have been significant.

I have to think that the only thing stopping her from taking a full year off is Montreal worlds and the need to secure 3 spots for that event. My guess is she'd like to win that title and then decide to 'Buttle' her way into the next phase of her life or stick around for the Olympics. I think her horizon atm is 2 years and then cross that bridge.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don't know about the spin cycle.....but with Worlds in Montreal.........I have concern that she has not set up a winning strategy.

Rock2

I don't know about the spin cycle.....but with Worlds in Montreal.........I have concern that she has not set up a winning strategy.

I think the opposite.
If you're mentally burned out your skating can suffer.

KO has managed to skate well not long after missing a lot of skating. And that's due to injuries, which is much harder to come back from than fatigue.

She's so well trained and healthy and now has so much experience under tough situations that I think she can come back for Nationals and use 4CC a good enough companion event to be fresh and ready for World's.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I believe it's all good, and can't blame Kaetlyn for skipping this season's Grand Prix. Best wishes to her and safe travels during the Thank You Canada Tour! :40beers: (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information