Opera Suggestions, II

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Just a few more hours (until 6:30pm EDT, Fri Apr 17) to see the Met Live in HD of Le Comte Ory streamed for free on the Met Opera website:

JDD, JDF, and Diana Damrau in bed together at the end: who can resist!

Plus Ragone has a great social distancing hat.

It was absolutely unreal that JDF could perform like that when his child was born just 40 minutes before curtain! :eek: I'd heard that story before, but this was my first time seeing the production.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I was cleaning out my email Inbox and found I had sent this to myself, from one of Piotr Beczala's social media posts (emphasis mine):

Good morning! Yesterday many of you have asked me for grandma Elżbieta’s walnut cake recipe. Here it is:​
🏻 8 whole eggs, 40 dag powdered sugar and vanilla sugar beat until smooth. Add 24 dag coarse ground flour, 16 dag ground or chopped walnuts and a teaspoon of baking powder, mix. Bake in a preheated oven at 170-180°C. Cut and soak with grain alcohol or vodka after cooling.
For a smaller portion: 6 eggs, 12 dag walnuts, 30 dag powdered sugar, 18 dag coarse ground flour and a pinch of baking powder.​
🏻 Coffee-flavoured cream filling recipe:
250 ml whip cream (beaten) mix with half a glass of powdered sugar, 1 pack of marscapone cheese, a few teaspoons of instant coffee, a teaspoon of cocoa and a 50-100 ml of rum (according to taste).
Bon appétit!​

alexikeguchi

I was cleaning out my email Inbox and found I had sent this to myself, from one of Piotr Beczala's social media posts (emphasis mine):

Good morning! Yesterday many of you have asked me for grandma Elżbieta’s walnut cake recipe. Here it is:​

Looks awesome! I'm going to bookmark this and try it with my WWU student who is home for online spring quarter and having fun with new recipes.

eusebius

This was posted yesterday and shared through Opera-L Facebook:
I am an instant Ryan McKinny fan because of this and also the entire Act IV Finale of Marriage of Figaro that he managed to organize:
His YouTube channel is full of treats these days.

alexikeguchi

I saw Ryan McKinny live as Amfortas and obviously wouldn't have guessed at what a wicked sense of humor he has. These videos are an absolute pleasure, and I laughed so hard I cried starting around 4:45 with his dog photobombing and then the hand sanitizer. I wonder if he has any interest in stage direction because he has some incredibly creative ideas.

eusebius

I saw Ryan McKinny live as Amfortas and obviously wouldn't have guessed at what a wicked sense of humor he has. These videos are an absolute pleasure, and I laughed so hard I cried starting around 4:45 with his dog photobombing and then the hand sanitizer. I wonder if he has any interest in stage direction because he has some incredibly creative ideas.
Yes!! Hmm he and I have a mutual friend on facebook. Maybe she can put the bug in his ear ;)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That would be great, @eusebius!. I've been following his Twitter account, and there was someone who tweeted something along the lines of giving away the cow's milk with all of the free institutional content, and he replied something along the lines of using this to figure out new opportunities.

He also said something in the political realm that showed empathy and an understanding of humans that made me want to give him a virtual hug. I think he shows both intelligence and leadership qualities that are sorely needed in the arts.

alexikeguchi

I just listened to his Lindoro in "L'Italiana in Algieri," an opera I don't even really like

But it has a fabulous overture! I played first violin in my high school orchestra, and we played something by Rossini almost every season. This was my first, then Semiramide, then The Barber of Seville, and they were all a lot of fun.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I just don't like the "Make fun of the Muslim ruler" storylines. (And I get that they are really about the local blowhards, but they still make me cranky.)

eusebius

That would be great, @eusebius!. I've been following his Twitter account, and there was someone who tweeted something along the lines of giving away the cow's milk with all of the free institutional content, and he replied something along the lines of using this to figure out new opportunities.

He also said something in the political realm that showed empathy and an understanding of humans that made me want to give him a virtual hug. I think he shows both intelligence and leadership qualities that are sorely needed in the arts.

Well, I made a comment on the Figaro video to the effect that maybe we would see him directing operas some day and Ryan gave it a heart reacc, so the message has been received :cheer2:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
not a fan of Danny Boy however...
But a genius choice: most of the singing that sounds best under these circumstances is intimate -- I just loved Volle's opening of Wolfram's aria: you usually don't get to hear it like that -- plus how well-known the song is, plus its multiple emotional associations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information