"On Edge" - Olympic Channel's docuseries featuring 6 teams from Ice Academy of Montreal

sap5

Not sure why you need to use “rightfully”, but they were an extraordinary team with programmes a lot of the time that didn’t meet their talents. :shuffle:
When VM came back, I hoped that they would delve more deeply into off-ice styles of dance and adapt them to the ice -- sort of like what Green/Parsons did this year, and what they themselves had done with Hip Hip Chin Chin, Pink Floyd, and Carmen. However, taking risks like that doesn't often result in gold medals, and in their comeback, they were under tremendous pressure to win the Olympics. B2ten was funding a huge part of their skating expenses, with the expectation that Olympic golds would result.

My hope is that one day they will do show programs like this, though it would take a lot of time and effort to do that right -- so maybe that hope is very unrealistic.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
My hope is that one day they will do show programs like this, though it would take amount of time and effort to do that right -- so maybe that hope is very unrealistic.
They have three Olympic golds and a silver. I don’t think they really have anything to prove to anyone else or particularly have any desire to do so at this stage.

D

Deleted member 221

I'm the last person to defend @allezfred on most topics (there are a few threads at the moment....), but he was never anti-V&M and was often quite supportive of them early in their career. Now Davis and White, on the other hand..... :shuffle:.

I stopped watching ice dance a few years into Code of Points, aside from a few programs here and there, and generally don't think I'm missing anything. I thought Virtue and Moir's Pink Floyd program was cool; anything that I've seen beyond that has been a snooze-fest.

sap5

They have three Olympic golds and a silver. I don’t think they really have anything to prove to anyone else or particularly have any desire to do so at this stage.
It wouldn't be to prove anything. It would be show programs done because they enjoy creating the programs and exploring dance styles. But that is just my fantasy.

skatingguy

decently
There again, you can decide she is an arrogant, lording-it-over-team-mates kind of girl or if you really look at the sum of what she said or did in other situations, see that she (clumsily for sure but this is also spontaneous Gabi) meant that she believes all 3 pairs would be on the podium. She really believes and hopes that H/D can be there. Maddi's reaction of course was about being on top.
I made no such assumption about Gabriella Papadakis based on the story that Madison Hubbell told. I was simply relaying the details to someone who hadn't seen it, and had asked what all the fuss was about. I'm not going to make any assumptions about what Madison Hubbell from the clip either.

Judy

When VM came back, I hoped that they would delve more deeply into off-ice styles of dance and adapt them to the ice -- sort of like what Green/Parsons did this year, and what they themselves had done with Hip Hip Chin Chin, Pink Floyd, and Carmen. However, taking risks like that doesn't often result in gold medals, and in their comeback, they were under tremendous pressure to win the Olympics. B2ten was funding a huge part of their skating expenses, with the expectation that Olympic golds would result.

My hope is that one day they will do show programs like this, though it would take a lot of time and effort to do that right -- so maybe that hope is very unrealistic.
They aren’t returning back to skating though.

sap5

They aren’t returning back to skating though.
Well, we don't know that. They are both in their early 30s. To definitely say they'll never skate again in their whole lives is a bit of a stretch, I think.

Judy

Well, we don't know that. They are both in their early 30s. To definitely say they'll never skate again in their whole lives is a bit of a stretch, I think.
I can guarantee you that it isn’t. Unfortunate but true.

VGThuy

I loved V/M's MR much more than the movie itself. They also re-worked it to make a highly crowd-pleasing dance full of difficulty and content that was eye-catching.

They were one of the most talked about athletes in Pyeongchang on social media and they got huge boosts to their profile and were invited on American talk shows.

Savchenko/Massot's LP was a runaway hit on YouTube with 26 million views thus far, but Virtue/Moir are not far behind with 14 million views.

Anyway, the scores were up to the judges, but V/M knocked it out of the park in terms doing what they needed to do and what was in their control and squeezing every point they could (maximizing their BV and demanding those GOEs) to keep their lead from the SD. They ended that dance with huge support from the audience, and the roar of the crowds, and it wasn't because Canada paid to have 30,000 North Koreans come and cheer for them like an infamous conspiracy theory from one P/C "insider," who kept arguing happened (which he didn't realize that he was pretty much acknowledging that the arena was totally with V/M).

P/C has the chance to win big in Beijing and they can definitely win the crowd, especially with their whacking RD, so I hope nobody begrudges their success or tries to undermine them if it does happen. Believe it or not, there are actually S/K fans and those who aren't particularly fond of P/C's style or programs on this forum so let's hope they give credit where credit is due if P/C get similar off-ice attention that V/M got post-Pyeongchang.

VGThuy

They didn't choose a crowd pleaser as FD and I understand their need to do what they believe in, but like Moonlight sonata, it will never put an Oly crowd on their feet.
I can think of a few Moonlight Sonatas that got the crowd going, including P/C's at Euros the month before Pyeongchang.

VGThuy

Absolutely! but the Olys are a different beast ... not the same type of spectators.
Gordeeva/Grinkov had a great response to theirs at the Olympics despite some errors that I think casual fans didn't care too much about but fans did. Fumie Suguri also had a great one in SLC. Maybe the jumps and spins helped, as did the lifts (in G/G's case). People also loved G/G's romantic connection.

Orm Irian

There again, you can decide she is an arrogant, lording-it-over-team-mates kind of girl or if you really look at the sum of what she said or did in other situations, see that she (clumsily for sure but this is also spontaneous Gabi) meant that she believes all 3 pairs would be on the podium. She really believes and hopes that H/D can be there. Maddi's reaction of course was about being on top.
I know we're discussing someone else's version of what she said, so we don't have her actual words to refer to, but when I was watching the episode I interpreted what Madison H said Gabi said to mean that being on the podium at their first GP event after more than a year away felt as good as winning the Olympics, not that she was assuming they'd win? Which might not even be close to the truth but if nothing else does demonstrate that there are a lot of ways to read that statement.

Anyway, one thing I think this series has consistently shown is that H/D are a very directly competitive pair while P/C, while they do care about competition and especially about winning the Olympics, are more of a serenely-off-in-their-bubble pair, so it doesn't surprise me that they have different viewpoints and interpretations of moments. They know each other; they're friends as well as competitors; it probably bothers them a lot less than it does us observers!

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Gordeeva/Grinkov had a great response to theirs at the Olympics despite some errors that I think casual fans didn't care too much about but fans did. Fumie Suguri also had a great one in SLC. Maybe the jumps and spins helped, as did the lifts (in G/G's case). People also loved G/G's romantic connection.
Eh, I've come to the conclusion ( rightly or wrongly) that Gordeeva and Grinkov's Olympic skate to Moonlight Sonata seems to be one of those Mandela effect performances. Their skating was lovely but it really didn't win over the crowd
Katia actually complained in "My Sergei" that M&D recieved more applause during the medal ceremony and she was a bit disappointed by that.

VGThuy

Eh, Gordeeva and Grinkov's Olympic skate to Moonlight Sonata seems to be one of those Mandela effect performances. Their skating was lovely but it really didn't win over the crowd
Katia actually complained in "My Sergei" that M&D recieved more applause during the medal ceremony and she was a bit disappointed by that.
I just went by what I heard and saw from the videos I've watched. M/D had loud applause as well and the crowd loved their performance. I was just saying the crowd seemed to enjoy G/G as well based on my own observations.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
:rofl:
If his reaction is that bad,, I'd hate to see his response to Canadian pairs
I am one of the few here who likes James/Radford as a pair. Shame it took them this long to find each other.

Sale/Pelletier (especially him) were a really good pair. Just not as good as Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze. :shuffle:

canbelto

Tessa and Scott have severed their partnership and moved into different directions.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Tessa and Scott have severed their partnership and moved into different directions.
Doesn't mean they definitively won't do some kind of performance later on in their lives. Who thought Grishuk and Platov would ever skate together again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information