"On Edge" - Olympic Channel's docuseries featuring 6 teams from Ice Academy of Montreal

MsZem

I see the sea
Do you think it got the biggest reaction at homes in France? Because I am guessing it didn’t. :shuffle:
Moulin Rouge was more accessible, thus my comparison to a Marvel movie - so there were probably people in France who preferred it too, even if they were disappointed with the result.

Personally I think V/M are amazing performers who picked material that was beneath them, and I agree with @museksk8r that it sucks that the deciding factor was a wardrobe malfunction.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

So from vague memory - not even sure if it was in an article, or a video interview - but it was along the lines of: watching V&M skate the FD at the 2018 Olys and waiting for them to make a mistake, kinda hoping they'd make a mistake, but realizing as they watched that there were no mistakes. It wasn't like she wished them to fall, but more like an acknowledgement that it would be to P&C's advantage if they made a mistake so she was watching to see if there were any.
I was always struck by Gabi saying in an interview (I think the same one) that she was completely traumatized by the result.
She was not traumatized by the result but by her experience in the RD. She said she spent the night crying.
I found her incredibly resilient and am in awe that she kept her composure throughout.

Khaleesi

Do you think it got the biggest reaction at homes in France? Because I am guessing it didn’t. :shuffle:
Well no kidding. Their countrymen better have rooted for them more. I also think “knocked it out the park” in a sense that they didn’t give the judges an incentive to have PC win the FD more than that .95 and essentially losing the gold. Honestly the stars were completely aligned for them that event. At GPF there was about a 3 point difference in the FD, albeit that was before V/M made their changes.

Peepsquick

It was the podium at Grand Prix event in Italy that Madi was talking about. She and Adria were at dinner, and Madi talked about how Gabi was pointing to the flags, and saying 'it's like we just won the Olympics', and Madi said in the clip of her and Adria 'not yet'. I think that's what you're referring to.
There again, you can decide she is an arrogant, lording-it-over-team-mates kind of girl or if you really look at the sum of what she said or did in other situations, see that she (clumsily for sure but this is also spontaneous Gabi) meant that she believes all 3 pairs would be on the podium. She really believes and hopes that H/D can be there. Maddi's reaction of course was about being on top.

Last edited:

Khaleesi

Moulin Rouge was more accessible, thus my comparison to a Marvel movie - so there were probably people in France who preferred it too, even if they were disappointed with the result.

Personally I think V/M are amazing performers who picked material that was beneath them, and I agree with @museksk8r that it sucks that the deciding factor was a wardrobe malfunction.
Might have been beneath them but it certainly did what it needed to. That’s what I had wished for H/D this quad to have programs that if nothing else had the crowd/fans on their side but alas.

SidelineSkater

The Fear/Gibson method :)

In the 19-20 season, I’d wondered what if H/D had the Grease program (or something similar) instead of S/D. More entertaining and less cringe worthy than my heart belongs to daddy lyrics.

I know they did Burlesque in the abbreviated season last year. That played to their strengths more than Marilyn/Joe.

angi

There was a four point difference between what Virtue/Moir scored in the team event and in the individual.
Three of those points were simply BV from getting level 4 for both their step sequences instead of the level 3 they got in the team event, it's really not that big of a mystery. The good old days when hitting your levels actually made a difference in the scoring.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I realize this is ancient history at this point, but FWIW I thought V&M's Olympic version of Moulin Rouge was stunning and I liked it the most out of all of their Olympic season FDs. I don't care how "low-brow" it was . I seriously applauded them .

I admit I did have a bad taste in my mouth with many of V&M's fans calling everything a fix heading into that event. Meanwhile V&M had really underperformed their original underwhelming version of that FD during the Grand Prix Series and lost pre Olympic momentum.

I can deal with P&C losing to that skate by V&M . SinKats are not V&M however, and I absolutely need P&C to slay ...

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Two Olympic golds 🤔.
While I think Mahler and MR were decent enough programs, I just need to point out that their having 2 Olympic golds doesn't really account for taste in programs.

I mean in ice dance we've had OGMs skating to random voiceovers from MLK . That program still managed to be more tasteful than anything else done on the night ( especially compared to the silver medalists :scream: )

We've had G&P, also with 2 OGMs, whose mastery of the running edge was unmatched, but whose best work seemed to come in the years preceeding the Olympics.

Although ,I do think Seasons was a stinker and much of the dreck Zueva threw at V&M when she decided to favor D&W was pretty forgettable.

Last edited:

Khaleesi

The Fear/Gibson method :)
Essentially. Except the only program I liked from F/G was Vogue. All the other ones I haven’t been able to overlook their subpar skating skills .
There was a four point difference between what Virtue/Moir scored in the team event and in the individual. To be honest, what it scored in the team event was about what it was worth. :shuffle:
Gosh you’re such a hater lol. Well it’s your right to hate sir.
I don’t think Moulin Rouge was beneath them at all. It was a riveting fd.
I don’t either. I loved and still love that program (well performance because it’s really the individual FD performance I always go back to watch). I’m a marvel fan though so I guess that translates to my taste in skating programs as well. I will acknowledge a team is inherently the better team but sometimes that isn’t enough for me; the program plays a big role in whether I like it or not. And I tend to fall for the crowd pleasing programs. Like H/D vs C/B I know H/D are the better team (come on people let’s not pretend otherwise) but I often prefer C/B programs.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Of course you hate anyone North American.
This again. :rolleyes:

Well if you look at my posting history you will see I have been complimentary more than enough times about North American skaters. Maybe not the ones you or others here like.

I give credit where it’s due. I have agreed that Virtue/Moir are extraordinary skaters in this very thread. I just haven’t particularly liked much of the material they have been given.

canbelto

This again. :rolleyes:

Well if you look at my posting history you will see I have been complimentary more than enough times about North American skaters. Maybe not the ones you or others here like.

I give credit where it’s due. I have agreed that Virtue/Moir are extraordinary skaters in this very thread. I just haven’t particularly liked much of the material they have been given.

I don't think MR was that strong of a program, but I thought it showed off what V/M could do very well -- their speed, their lifts, their ability to time their technical elements to crescendo with the music.

also, they had already skated to years of very classical programs. It was time for them to do something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information