Oh - what a wonderful sport!

puglover

Nothing in the world improves unless a bright light is shone on the wrongdoings. This makes it easy to focus on those and miss all that is going right and gives us great reason for hope.

A very beautiful moments I have noticed this year that gives me great faith in the overall goodness:

1. Hanyu - so many acts of kindness to fellow competitors, losing gracefully, hamming it up with other skaters, helping the flower sweepers, and overall being so gracious to all his fans.

2. Coaches - most seem to have amazing relationships with their skaters. So often a skater rests his head on his coaches shoulder when comfort is needed. Coaches so often agonize over poor skates as much as the skaters themselves. Carol Lane is certainly an example of a coach who wears her heart on her sleeve. My own children were taught my a number of coaches and each contributed to their growth as both a skater and people. Through facebook they remain friends and continue to cheer my children on

3. Judges - I have witnessed many judges sit hour after hour judging tests in a freezing cold arena. They play a very important role in the progression of each skater. Among the few bad apples, there are so many dedicated judges trying their very best to call it as they see it from their love of the sport.

4. Volunteers - so many great ones - they make it all happen.

5. Skaters - we see lots and lots of good sportsmanship, friendship, (Nan sitting on skaters laps at 4c's), good wishes for each other. Plus amazing strength and courage to keep on when every natural instinct must be saying - quit. They live in a day and age where they are criticized, speculated about, had cruel things said about them on social media - and for most the pure love of skating pulls them through.

6. Fans - so many great fans!! Japan - wow! Whoever it is that makes a little craft and throws one to all skaters leaving the ice at Canadians, amazing. The many standing "O"s, the cheers and support for a skater struggling out there, the banners - the fans love their skaters.

7. Commentators - some we love - some we don't - but all seem to do it for the love of the sport.

8. And FSU - a wonderful place to come and share our love of skaters, our knowledge, learn new things, and saves our friends and family from hours of our angst.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information