OES News 22/23

Lanja

Article about Mia Risa Gomez in which she discusses her LP in Espoo:

https://www.nrk.no/sport/marerittst...risa-gomez-i-em-finalen-i-kunstlop-1.16275181

Speaking about the first fall: "It's going very quickly. I feel in the air that I'm off. 'Oh God, no,' I think, and am disappointed half a second later. But then I try to forget it."

"I was very proud that I managed to land the second difficult jump. The first two jumps are always the hardest for me."

"I'm not entirely satisfied, since it went much better in warmup and practice. But it's my first Europeans, so it's natural to be a little more nervous."

She agrees with commentator Chris Howarth (from Viaplay) that she should work on her speed.

Next weekend is the Nordic championships and she is aiming for the podium.

flatfoot

Well done to the Juulia Turkkila and Matthias Versluisvwho finished 3rd at Europeans, I do really like this team as they have great flow and grace. This result will allow Yuka Orihara and Juho Pirinen to join them next year. I dont think there are any other senior dance teams in Finland at present.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I found the entry list for the Abu Dhabi Classic Trophy (March 18-19). It's in pdf format, but looking it over, it would seem Georgia has a couple of new women - one junior who is senior age-eligible and one advanced novice who will be junior age-eligible next season. I haven't looked the list over thoroughly beyond that, but thought it was interesting in light of the spots Georgia now has at its disposal to use next season on the JGP, at Euros and Jr Worlds.

airgelaal

Russian media report that Danijil Szemko (represents Hungary in ice dancing) was stabbed in moscow.

The doctors of the Botkin hospital diagnosed a 22-year-old native of Odesa with a stab wound in the right thigh. The cause of the injury is still unknown.
In moscow, Szemko worked as a coach, but, according to a source, now the athlete intends to leave russia.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Yikes! (Lucy Hancock/Ilias Fourati are Hungary's alternate for Worlds.)

ETA a machine translated excerpt from the article linked above:
... But when the doctors, having treated the wound, called the police, the skater changed the version of the injury: he allegedly scratched himself so badly, clinging to someone's bag, and has no complaints against anyone.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
This makes my blood boil on so many levels - and the story should be shared in the ISU Statement discussion as example #1 why Russian athletes should NOT be allowed back into international competition.

airgelaal

ETA a machine translated excerpt from the article linked above:
I would like to hear comments from Danijil, because the situation looks strange and scary.
And so that no one doubts, most of the russian media call him a Ukrainian figure skater. You can imagine what "kind" comments can be seen under these articles.

Hedwig

Antique member
Kimmy Repond is profiled, both on & off the ice, in this Swiss RTS 6-minute feature in French (includes interviews with her, coaches Mathieu Delcambre & older sister Jeromie, and mother) before her Worlds debut:
Her French is pretty good as well for being a German speaker - her sister did not speak in French but she did even though one could hear that she struggled a bit with some of the sentences.

clairecloutier

Here is an IDC interview with the Hungarian dance team, Ignateva/Szemko, who placed 10th at Euros in their second season together:

DS: ... At world level there are so many great teams, it is going to be interesting at the World Championships. Everybody is trying to find their own style and way to impress the audience. After 2014, everyone was trying to copy Papadakis and Cizeron, but now everyone is trying to find their own style.

MI: It is a really positive development in ice dance, because everybody tries to be different, it is good.

Sylvia

TBD
Here is an IDC interview with the Hungarian dance team, Ignateva/Szemko, who placed 10th at Euros in their second season together
Thanks!

The Hungarian National Skating Association downplayed Szemko's "incident in Moscow" (refer to post #97 above) in their March 17th press release:
Machine translated excerpt:
Hungary will be represented by Júlia Láng in the women's competition, Pavlova Maria and Sviatchenko Alexei in pairs, and Mariia Ignateva and Danijil Szemko in ice dance. Danijil Szemko, who is preparing for the World Championships, suffered an injury on Monday, but our ice dancer is fine, he received medical attention immediately and said: he does not feel that his injury would hinder his training, so he continued his preparations for the World Championships on Tuesday.

clairecloutier

Thanks!

The Hungarian National Skating Association downplayed Szemko's "incident in Moscow" (refer to post #97 above) in their March 17th press release:
Machine translated excerpt:

I forgot about that. 🤔

Just FYI, the background on this couple is as follows:

-- Danijil Szemko was born in Odesa, Ukraine, immigrated to Hungary in 2014 after the invasion of Crimea, and became a Hungarian citizen in 2017

-- Mariia Ignateva was born in Yekaterinburg, Russia, and moved to Hungary to team with Szemko in January 2021, a year before the Russian invasion of Ukraine

The IDC interview mentions their heights-- she is 5' 7 1/2", he is 6' 3 1/2", so yes, very tall!

Hindernisse

Belgium's Le Soir newspaper profiled Nina Pinzaronne. It mentions that she was diagnosed with a double stress fracture on her hip in August and had to be off ice until late October. After Espoo, her rink in the suburbs of Antwerp had to close because of a problem with the roof and she had to hop from rink to rink across the country for the ice time. Dmitry Ovchinnikov based in Switzerland helps her main coach Ans Bocklandt with the technical side.

text_skate

Some weeks ago there was a very long article about Julia Sauter in a Romanian news website

Julia Sauter, the German skater who works in three places to represent us in competitions. "Romania has become part of me"

excerpts:

_Although she was born in Germany, she made history for Romania in January when she placed 10th at the European Figure Skating Championships in Esppo, Finland. It's the best finish Romania has ever had at a European skating championship.

_She works three jobs to afford to compete and receives no help from the country she represents; the Romanian Skating Federation has been insolvent since 2018 and the Ministry of Sport cannot allocate money from the budget.

_She teaches dance classes to children at a school on weekends when time permits, works for a catering company, but is also a coach and choreographer on ice.

In a competition where I went without my coach at the time, I was extremely disappointed and didn't understand why I didn't get more points. Marius was coaching my girlfriend at the time and after my moment on the ice, he came to me and explained how I could do better if I were to change some things.

In Germany, the skating system is very complex, and if you don't do certain jumps by a certain age, you are kicked out of their elite program. Marius saw my raw talent and tried to open a new door for me to represent Romania. It was a long process and when it was over I was extremely happy and my family supported the opportunity.

_Sauter and Marius Negrea get on very well these days and have a relationship based on trust and loyalty. It wasn't always like this, and Julia says it took a lot of work and communication on both their parts to understand each other.

_Julia confesses that for a long time she was influenced by all the negative comments she heard around her, which affected her a lot and filled her with insecurity. Once she got over this stage and started to see things from a different perspective, she also understood Negrea's more difficult teachings.

There are some prargraphs about Romanian fed, relations seem to be not at the very best

I need 10-15 thousand euros per season to cover all my costs, but also my salary, because I am 25 years old and I have to think about my future. I have a husband and a dog and I want to put money aside as well.

_However, she thanks the Romanians for the kind messages they have sent her and talks about how happy she is to share this feeling with them.

_Julia believes mental health needs more attention in sport, but also in general, and finds it "crazy how it's 2023 and so many people are terrified" to talk openly about it.

_Right now, she points out, she's mapping out her plans from one year to the next. "I have to see what's possible, how healthy I am and how much I love it. There's a lot of sacrifice involved and I have to feel like it's worth it. But I know I haven't reached my full potential and I want to try that. I have a supportive husband and that makes it easier. You're only young once, so let's see how long I can keep going."

_Married to hockey player Robbie Czarnik, Julia finds support at home from a partner who is also an athlete. But that doesn't mean they don't find time to relax together.

_If the officials can't help me, we'll see. At least I hope the younger generation will get more support at some point, and then I will be thankful that I was part of the change. But let's hope we get it all," she concludes.

text_skate

A clearly overwhelmed Kimmy Repond in an interview with Swiss TV network SRF:
I am very proud of myself today, also in the short. Today I felt everything. There were more people in the arena. It was just a mega feeling. Also the whole week in Japan. I found it very emotional. I don't know how these emotions supposed to be. Not a clue. It's just intense.

reports: BZ Basel, SRF (short interview is geoblocked for what reason whatsoever)

Sylvia

TBD
According to Jack Gallagher's latest Ice Time column (link is posted in the Japanese news thread):
World junior silver medalist Naoki Rossi of Switzerland will compete again in the Junior Grand Prix next season, Ice Time reported exclusively on March 25. The 16-year-old, whose mother is Japanese, attends school and trains in Italy.
Rossi finished second behind Kao Miura at the World Junior Championships in Calgary, Canada, in early March. He will be in Japan in May to work on his programs for next season.
Switzerland should be very proud of their singles skaters' success of Junior Worlds, Euros & Worlds this season!

ETA - posted in this thread on Sept. 22, 2022:
Switzerland has a new pair - Pauline Irman and Ben Jalovick (U.S. senior singles competitor who's new to pairs) - clip of their 2022-23 SP to "Seven Nation Army’" by Gaullin and Julian Perretta: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CitEtmCD7oR/

WASA Pairs' August 23rd post: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChnIIQJrZ9w/
Switzerland's new pair is officially on the national team after passing their Swiss Senior Gold Test last weekend -- Pauline Irman and Ben Jalovick, who train in Colorado Springs: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqRAytDLzHP/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
AnythingGOEs' Anna tweeted this after Dasa Grm's Worlds SP on March 22: https://twitter.com/choreosequence/status/1638522224268177410
I was crying with Daša [Grm] today, especially knowing now that this was her final Worlds. I have so much respect for her as a skater and human being and will be sorry not to see her next season. Definitely encourage you to read her words from our conversation at Euros
Published on March 21, 2023:
Grm's Instagram stories post-Worlds have shown her enjoying a vacation with her boyfriend/trainer in Southeast Asia, ending in Phuket, Thailand. Her March 25th post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqO1zYnSPwb/
If I say that this season was difficult, it would be an understatement. I met with the feelings I wasn't familiar with, with unexpected movements I've never done before and with everyday struggle in normal things in life.
But I wouldn't change a thing. That's my path and that's who I am. I've tried my best, I worked really hard, I put my heart and soul into this season. And it turned out just the way it was supposed to. ✨🇯🇵🌸
Thank you all for the support, for nice messages, for the gifts or even just for your time to hang out together. 🤗
I am happy, I am grateful, I am at peace and that's all that matters. ❤
Her pics from the Worlds banquet: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqULGQESM65/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information