News and updates à la Française, part trois

Orm Irian

Thrilled for Mae that her resurgence continues, and also for Laurine that she's overcome the knee issues and is putting out good solid programs with all the combos completed again. It'll be great to see them both at Euros in better form than last year (and with less stress)!

And isn't Julie Froetscher also having a bit of a resurgence this year! That's really nice to see.

The fellas are doing well so far too - Kevin's selling that SP like it's going out of fashion and it's really working.

nimi

Some French Nats results...
MBM skated a clean SP yesterday and an okay FS today and won her FIFTH National title! Congrats Máe! :encore:

And Kévin is leading after the SP by a 20-point margin! :eek::cheer:
While his score (95.40) might be just a liiiiiiittle bit inflated, I'm actually fine with that, and his K&C reaction is priceless so YAY KÉVIN!!!

Also Vanessa & Morgan skated a clean SP yesterday (for the first time this season, I guess?) and got 82.70, while P/C just skated their RD (85.89, no video yet)
EDIT: now there's video, but this is one of those events where the camera people don't want us to see what the skaters' feet/blades are doing, so good luck to anybody wanting to take a closer look at that TR pattern :/
More results...

KÉVIN AYMOZ is now TWO TIME FRENCH CHAMPION!!! (262.65, FS)

Some bad news, though: According to Jackie, Romain withdrew after the SP and has been battling a back injury for the past few weeks. Poor guy. Back injury and quads doesn't sound like a good combination :/
ETA: Apparently it's a pinched nerve in his back

J/C skated clean again and won with 240.97 points (FS, interview) and P/C with 220.95

Last edited:

laviemn

I'm really enjoying how the camera person has trouble keeping the skaters in frame yet likes to do those artsy fade outs from close ups. Walk before you run, my friend.

It's interesting to watch from the opposite side of judges. I didn't realize just how much of Kevin's performances are choreographed directly at the judges. The ice dancers do a better job of performing to all sides of the rink. Guillaume looked like he was in pain after the FD.

I think maybe France has a shot at bronze at WTT this year?

Orm Irian

Laurine and Mae are both in the top 10 after the Ladies' SP at Europeans, and Laurine is in the final group for the FS! If they can keep this up France may have two places at Euros next year. :cheer2:

Enchanted

Laurine and Mae are both in the top 10 after the Ladies' SP at Europeans, and Laurine is in the final group for the FS! If they can keep this up France may have two places at Euros next year. :cheer2:

Or even three if they both place high enough at the final standings. That would be great as it would be good to someone younger to have a chance to compete at Euros as well.

Orm Irian

They could definitely get three if they both place high enough! (Also, I should of course have said "may have two places again", duh). Two at Worlds would be even better though...

By the way, a poster at GS has confirmed that Laurine isn't training with Joubert; she's based in Paris to be near her family and is training with Katia Krier, but because Krier is the French team leader at Euros she's extremely busy and so Joubert is helping out by supporting Laurine in the kiss and cry.

From her quotes following the SP, it sounds like Laurine was really hit hard by Jean-Francois Ballester's death, to the point where she wasn't sure if she'd make it to Euros, but coming home to train seems to have helped.

And in other news, Kevin! Adam! Vanessa and James are European Champions! Team France is having a good season.

nimi

Aymoz 4th :)
The bronze was oh so close -- less than a point away -- but honestly, Rizzo did deserve it with that great FS.

Kévin's comment on his performance (from the GS write-up):
“I am proud of myself, because I fought to the end even if it was difficult,” said the two-time French national champion. “I was more prepared for the short program than the free. The aim was to be in the last group for this competition, which I was, so I don’t regret anything. There were a few errors but it is all positive for the time being, even with the errors, it’s all good.”
It was encouraging to see that even though this was not the best he's skated In This Shirt, his PCS seem to be on the rise (84.92). Making it to the last FS group really paid off in that respect...

In the same article, Javi gives our boy a nod (yay!)
“Skaters are not just jumps, but they are about complete skating. There are some skaters I have seen, like this boy (Kevin Aymoz, FRA) who I see are like this and I am proud of them, it is unbelievable. I hope I have left something like that on figure skating.”

Orm Irian

Fingers crossed Hamon/Strekalin are able to go to JWC. I didn't realise he'd been injured, even through I knew they'd withdrawn from a competition recently (I think Bavarian Open?).

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Do they not have another junior man with minimums to be a reserve?! I remember there was no one else on the JGP even, which I thought seemed strange at the time. Or do they have someone but choose not to send them?

kirkbiggestfan

Do they not have another junior man with minimums to be a reserve?! I remember there was no one else on the JGP even, which I thought seemed strange at the time. Or do they have someone but choose not to send them?
Almost half of the junior men are now coached by Joubert. Le May has huge athletic potential but his jump technique needs major work. Collet did the 2017 JGP but his club of Nice has been having tough times.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...3T-4iOsi0xllIOg4uu-LauTXoC0PS-20I57Y/pubhtml#

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Almost half of the junior men are now coached by Joubert. Le May has huge athletic potential but his jump technique needs major work. Collet did the 2017 JGP but his club of Nice has been having tough times.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...3T-4iOsi0xllIOg4uu-LauTXoC0PS-20I57Y/pubhtml#
:40beers: thank you! That makes me happy, I still love Brian :swoon: Nice to see he is doing well, and that his loyalty to Poitiers even got the rink named after him...

I look forward to hopefully seeing more of his students in future. Maybe they will get JGP next season. You’d think they would at least use all their spots in the French one.

nimi

I too find the lack of JWC alternates and JGP participants pretty weird. I just checked the EYOF jr men entries and there's nobody from France there, either. (During jr ladies SP a couple of hours ago, Oceane Piegad skated a pretty nice short and got 41.99 points and 11th place.)

Looking at the list @kirkbiggestfan linked to, you'd think that there'd be at least one jr guy there other than Adam who could be sent to these competitions, but IDK.

Vagabond

French World Team:

Men: Kévin Aymoz
Ladies: Laurine Lecavelier
Pairs: James/Ciprès,
Ice Dance: Gabriella Papadakis/GuillaumeCizeron, Marie-Jade Lauriault/Romain LeGac

Substitutes:

Men: Adam Siao Him Fa
Ladies: Maé-Bérénice Méité
Pairs: (None)
Ice Dance: Adelina Galiyavieva/Louis Thauron, Julia Walgret/Pierre Souquet

Orm Irian

Mae-Berenice Meite was named flag-bearer for the French Winter Universiade team (not just the skaters, the entire team) - no better choice! :) According to a poster at GS, the other skaters for France are Adrian Tesson, Galyavieva/Thauron and Wagret/Souquet. Nobody's skating in pairs, presumably because Hamon/Strekalin* are at Junior Worlds and nobody else is eligible?

*Actually I don't even know if they'd be eligible - Strekalin's old enough to be attending university but I have no idea if he actually does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information