New partnership - Deanna Stellato and Maxime Deschamps!

PairSkater12345

Deleting the longer detailed post that several of you saw (oh well), and upon reflection, I'm deciding to replace with just this:

Because there are some potential issues with both federations on a potential partnership here, I think I'll leave it at this partnership is very likely to happen but I'll share more thoughts and details after an official announcement from them.

I wouldn't consider it a given that they are going to this event. They might have jumped the gun by entering awhile back. Not sure, but there may be some things still left to sort out.
OK......gotta step in here and add some sanity to this gossip. There is no way.....no possibility no chance no consideration......never happened......lol.....Frazier and OShea are not leaving their partners period.....believe it..

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I can so see this pair placing top 2 at 2022 Canadian nationals. I hope, but also think this post will age well.

Rock2

OK......gotta step in here and add some sanity to this gossip. There is no way.....no possibility no chance no consideration......never happened......lol.....Frazier and OShea are not leaving their partners period.....believe it..

No one said they were.

But anyway, yeah you are right those teams are staying together.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thrilled for Deanna, whatever her path may be!

Exactly. I'm very happy for Deanna. There was a poster here who knew they were getting together, but everything wasn't completely worked out yet, so Maxime and Deanna didn't want to make it public right away, despite the rumors.

I'm happy for Maxime as well, because this means he continues to skate for Canada, instead of switching countries to that of his initial new partner. I suppose this partnership came together instead via happenstance as a result of Maxime helping Deanna with rink workouts to stay in pairs shape. And then something magically clicked and they were off to the races, but wished to keep it all on the down low.

They appear to have a similar body type, and the chemistry must be good as well. So Canada goes from slim pickins in pairs to bountiful prospects pdq! Deanna must be stoked by the prospect of a new environment, new challenges, and being able to continue with her pairs skating passion. :love:

I look foward to seeing them together. Meanwhile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTVR3hqd16w Sydney/Maxime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj86HA-RiNE Deanna/Nate

Now, as I haven't carefully read all the posts, I'll go back to do so. I glimpsed enough comments to realize that everything hasn't been completely worked out for Deanna & Maxime yet. I can see US fed being reluctant to release Deanna. It's not as if U.S. fed didn't respect and reward her talent. There's lots of talent and very few positions at the top. At least, Deanna & Nate got to experience Worlds in 2018. It's the antiquated, limiting rules of the ISU which spoiled their experience by preventing them from moving on to the fp after a decent performance and a decent score in the sp.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Good point!

Who can blame her.

Blame her? Blame U.S. fed? What is this about blaming when the sport itself as a whole just isn't set up to reward promising athletes across the board? The opportunities are limited. The competitive assignment spots are limited too. Despite Kayne/O'Shea faltering on their last lift at 2019 U.S. Natls and coming in fourth behind Deanna/Nate, it's not unexpected that K/O would be sent to 4CC ahead of D&N. And of course Cain/LeDuc and Denney/Frazier placed 1, 2 and were definites for 4CCs.

While I can certainly understand Deanna/Nate feeling upset and let down, they were not slam dunk clean in both programs. Plus, they had a middling season after unfairly not making it to the fp at Worlds in 2018 when they were sent as subs for the injured Kayne/O'Shea. There also seemed to be a bit of drama at times going on in the partnership between Nate & Deanna.

Apparently, some skinny was mentioned in a post here and then deleted. Pray tell what's the drama that's going on now? As I said earlier, since Deanna is talented and competitive, so I'm sure she would relish very much the opportunity to skate for Canada and excel. That would be very cool for her and Maxime. Currently, Canada has quickly pulled together a lot of pairs prospects, but they are still slim on veteran teams. I would think if everything could be worked out, Deanna and Maxime would chiefly be battling Kirsten/Michael, Cami/Drew, Evelyn/Trennt, and Wang/Boudreau-Audet for a top spot.

Is it at all possible that either of Maxime or Deanna have another background heritage (i.e., French or Italian) that they might pursue for even better opportunity? Since there's no formal announcement yet, I'm surprised their names wouldn't have been scratched from the referenced Quebec comp, if they may in fact not be competing there after all.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

Currently, Canada has quickly pulled together a lot of pairs prospects, but they are still slim on veteran teams. I would think if everything could be worked out, Deanna and Maxime would chiefly be battling Kirsten/Michael, Cami/Drew, Evelyn/Trennt, and Wang/Boudreau-Audet for a top spot.
Forgot Luba/Charlie, or was it a deliberate omission? ;)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Forgot Luba/Charlie, or was it a deliberate omission? ;)

No, not really. Luba & Charlie are a new team, just as Deanna & Maxime are newly partnered. Luba & Charlie will in that sense be in the same boat as Deanna & Maxime, albeit if they get it together, L&C will likely be given a bit more cred that might give them an advantage over most other teams. Still, they will have to earn it. The major difference for Luba/Charlie is that they both did not compete on the circuit last season, so I think that has set them back a bit in shaking off the rust, as well as in adjusting to a new partnership.

Meanwhile, Wang/Boudreau-Audet are also newly paired, but they performed with other partners last season, so it doesn't seem to be as much of an adjustment for them. They have looked good in their recent debut comps. In addition, they also have trained with each other with different partners.

We haven't yet seen how well Deanna & Maxime perform together at this stage. But I'm sensing some very good vibes, sight unseen, and mostly on the basis of what I've seen from them with their former partners. Still, they will also have to overcome some obstacles before their partnership can truly take off.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Ummmmm thats what I said and exactly my point. Same as yours.

Did you even read to see what context my post was in?

Sorry @ANL. Of course you were not assessing any blame to Deanna. At this point, she's just interested in working out her new partnership so she can continue to pursue her renewed passion for skating. I understood what you said. But also by inference, you and the poster you responded to were apparently suggesting that US fed was wrong in not sending Deanna/Nate to 4CCs. While there's a lot US fed can actually be 'blamed' for or rather criticized for in terms of their need for better leadership and vision, often they are placed in a difficult position in having to make assignment selections under the current strictured and limited figure skating competitive structure.

I think US fed has been supportive of Deanna/Nate's partnership, but there are a lot of good teams at the top and choices have to be made. Despite K/O's lift error really impacting their score in the fp at 2019 U.S. Nat'ls, K/O also happened to be 2018 4CCs defending champions, so in a choice between K/O and D&N for the third spot for 2019 4CCs, it was K/O who were selected.

Carolla5501

The truth about US fed is they are in LOVE with the "married couple" and our other teams have suffered from that love. (Sorry, but last year when they got named as alternates to events when he couldn't even do the lifts pretty much showed that regardless of how they skated the "married couple" bonus points would gift them placement and assignments.. You know it's bad when she says "that's a gift' when reading the score.)

Can't blame any skater for abandoning the US fed since no matter how well you skate you aren't the "team we have decided to back" simply for PR reasons.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
The truth about US fed is they are in LOVE with the "married couple" and our other teams have suffered from that love. (Sorry, but last year when they got named as alternates to events when he couldn't even do the lifts pretty much showed that regardless of how they skated the "married couple" bonus points would gift them placement and assignments.. You know it's bad when she says "that's a gift' when reading the score.)
Uh, I don't think they're getting "married couple" bonus points. I think they're getting "we have the best pairs skills, best lifts, best throws, best chemistry, best unison" bonus points.

Carolla5501

Uh, I don't think they're getting "married couple" bonus points. I think they're getting "we have the best pairs skills, best lifts, best throws, best chemistry, best unison" bonus points.

Really, at last year's nationals they skated through some of those elements and didn't have the best anything. They came in 7th! And even then Alexa knew the scores were too high. They are too injured to actually do a good competition and they are still the "alternate" for Worlds and 4CCs? After all they year before they did so well at World's they earned us one spot, that's worth rewarding!

It was evident that he couldn't do the elements last year, but they are still alternates ahead of those who could?

Spiralgraph

I think it's true that until now the "married couple" did get some bonus points. But C-G/L landing their triples and getting back two spots at worlds has probably changed that. Plus I don't think the Knierims have the best lifts, skating skills, or throws, and they have certainly lacked consistency for the last few seasons. Besides the ever improving Ashley and Tim, D/F have superior lifts and good throws and I'm not about to ignore Tarah and Danny either.

If anyone assumes that the "married couple" will have an easy time returning to be the top team in the US, they will probably be disappointed. I have a feeling this upcoming Nationals will be a tightly fought contest among several teams.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

I think you may be right.. they have the best skills on all elements but just a disaster on jumps.... but thats kinda the American tradition... no jumps.

sigh....

All their other elements are world class.

Jammers

Really, at last year's nationals they skated through some of those elements and didn't have the best anything. They came in 7th! And even then Alexa knew the scores were too high. They are too injured to actually do a good competition and they are still the "alternate" for Worlds and 4CCs? After all they year before they did so well at World's they earned us one spot, that's worth rewarding!

It was evident that he couldn't do the elements last year, but they are still alternates ahead of those who could?
S/K were the only reason why the US had two spots for Worlds in 2018 when D/F didn't make the FS and considering it was one of the best skated Pairs events ever at Worlds and S/K had missed most of that season because Alexa nearly died they still finished in the top 10 and if the rules were fair also should have qualified two spots for the Olympics. Sure they didn't do as well at Worlds in 2018 but guess what other US team didn't even make the FS and put all the pressure on S/K again to keep two spots? S/B. The USFSA didn't even send S/B to 4CC despite winning the bronze medal at Nats instead they sent K/O yet you keep ranting about the "married couple".

aftershocks

Banned Member

ITA about the Knierims' skills when they are fit and in-the-zone, but they have been coming back from a lot in recent seasons, so hopefully they are healed and ready to skate the way they can more consistently in the coming season. I wouldn't say that their chemistry and unison are better necessarily than K/O's and C-G/LD's. Also, D/F have a bit better lifts and equally good throws.

I have no insider knowledge regarding US fed's favoritism in this case, except to say it's obvious the Knierims are and have been favored, but probably largely in part for their valuable skills, as you indicate, even when they haven't performed well.

ETA:
What's really going on with the roadblocks to Deanna & Maxime partnering? Does anyone have solid information?

Last edited:

barbarafan

ITA about the Knierims' skills when they are fit and in-the-zone, but they have been coming back from a lot in recent seasons, so hopefully they are healed and ready to skate the way they can more consistently in the coming season. I wouldn't say that their chemistry and unison are better necessarily than K/O's and C-G/LD's. Also, D/F have a bit better lifts and equally good throws.

I have no insider knowledge regarding US fed's favoritism in this case, except to say it's obvious the Knierims are and have been favored, but probably largely in part for their valuable skills, as you indicate, even when they haven't performed well.

ETA:
What's really going on with the roadblocks to Deanna & Maxime partnering? Does anyone have solid information?
Where will they be training? Who will be their coach?

Sylvia

TBD
This was posted earlier in this thread and likely is as "solid" as it will get for the time being: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ato-and-maxime-deschamps.105889/#post-5620310

Since neither skater has made any kind of formal announcement re. their partnership at this time, there's probably a good reason or reasons for it. Let's just try and be patient. :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
This was posted earlier in this thread and likely is as "solid" as it will get for the time being: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ato-and-maxime-deschamps.105889/#post-5620310

Since neither skater has made any kind of formal announcement re. their partnership at this time, there's probably a good reason or reasons for it. Let's just try and be patient. :)

Ah yes, the Rock2 post that was originally more detailed and which only a few people saw. He then replaced it with a more cautious and cryptic message. At least Rock2 said in his cryptic message, "... there are some potential issues with both federations on a potential partnership here ... I'll leave it at this partnership is very likely to happen but I'll share more thoughts and details after an official announcement from them."

So that has to hold us for now. Oh, the age of the Internet. Snippets and dribbles galore, and patience is expected. :lol: I do totally understand their need for caution, privacy and keeping a tamp down on details going viral. But clearly some people are in-the-know and voluble, which is always the complication. And sometimes, such people are a useful p.r. tool too. :D

If it turns out okay for Maxime & Deanna, I suppose patience will then be rewarded for those who can be patient. :shuffle: At least we know Rock2 was right about the Luba/Charlie partnership coming to fruition. ;) And in the meantime, some of the more wilder speculation and gossip has been fracturing my small degree of patience...

dramagrrl

If this partnership doesn't end up working out, then I feel doubly bad for Kyu-eun Kim.

Carolla5501

S/K were the only reason why the US had two spots for Worlds in 2018 when D/F didn't make the FS and considering it was one of the best skated Pairs events ever at Worlds and S/K had missed most of that season because Alexa nearly died they still finished in the top 10 and if the rules were fair also should have qualified two spots for the Olympics. Sure they didn't do as well at Worlds in 2018 but guess what other US team didn't even make the FS and put all the pressure on S/K again to keep two spots? S/B. The USFSA didn't even send S/B to 4CC despite winning the bronze medal at Nats instead they sent K/O yet you keep ranting about the "married couple".

And they’re also the reason we only had one spot for last year. Do you want credit for success you also have to take credit for things you didn’t do as well

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Well they skated their short program today at the Georges-Ethier event. Only 49something points. I thought they looked great together. Hopefully the video will be up on the Patinage Quebec dailymotion channel soon (they are posting archives from this event).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information