Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb52

While we're getting nice and fancy with Criterion :) let me recommend Long Day's Journey Into Night, which has this hourlong single shot that is really incredible, and was also in an unusual controversy for being misleadingly marketed as a date night movie rather than the art film it is when first released in China. Or maybe not a controversy so much as an "people were annoyed"-oversy. Here's an article about it: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/...-night-bi-gan-tang-wei-box-office-1203097415/

starrynight

I agree, but I am still watching it. I think the issue is that the storyline in season 2 (so far) is not as 'exotic' as the first season. As a person from a sub-tropical climate, a full North Icelandic winter was a sight in of itself. However, the season 2 themes may be a more topical storyline from the Icelandic experience.

Actually after watching more of the second season of Trapped, it definitely recaptures its old magic by the middle of the series.

jeffisjeff

I loved Trapped! Unconventionally sexy leading man! :) Well I thought he was sexy anyway, I won't demand that anyone else agree with me.

I'll agree, but just a little bit! What is definitely true is that it was nice to see the actor (not even going to try with his name!) in this role after first seeing him in NOS4A2, where the character he played was creepy and disturbed!

Cachoo

I loved Trapped! Unconventionally sexy leading man! :) Well I thought he was sexy anyway, I won't demand that anyone else agree with me.

I watched The Phantom Carriage on Criterion yesterday... apparently Ingmar Bergman watched it every summer and it is a touchpoint for his whole filmmaking aesthetic... which explains a lot. It's sort of like the dark Scandi-noir version of A Christmas Carol.
Yes——Love Olaf!!!! I enjoyed “The Ripper” docu series and was so put off on how the police judged the victims and how that harmed their investigation.

annie720

Thank you to whoever recommended the Disney plus documentary On Pointe. I really enjoyed it and definitely got sucked in to the kids’ excitement about the nutcracker. I was afraid the kids/parents would be irritating but they weren’t. Baby mic also got kind of into it and is now doing plies and dancing on her tiptoes :lol:
I would have loved more episodes. I wonder if there would have been more if it hadn't been for the pandemic.

Watched Prom on netflix last night and was not impressed. It was like a bad HSM or Glee, but I enjoyed seeing Streep's agility at age 70 and was amused at her "romance" with a man in his 40s.

mjb52

I love Criterion, and I recommend The Castle of Sand. It’s an adaptation of a Japanese detective novel that was published in English under the title Inspector Imanishi Investigates. I read the book a couple of years ago, and a friend clued me in that Criterion had the well-regarded movie. It’s definitely worth watching.

Thanks so much for this. Some themes that surprisingly ended up tying into the present day (in my own opinion) sadly. A lot to think about.

mjb52

So I'm finally watching Spinning Out. I know it's already been discussed to death so all I'll say is that my goodness, it's a long time since I've watched something with such a large set of cliche characters.

Did you ever watch Make It Or Break It?

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
So I'm finally watching Spinning Out. I know it's already been discussed to death so all I'll say is that my goodness, it's a long time since I've watched something with such a large set of cliche characters.
Exactly, and the way they tried to copy Tessa & Scott’s outfits right down to the hair. Terrible writing and even worse acting

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
My sister told me I had to try "The West Wing", which I'd never watched when it was on TV. So I bought season 1 on Prime and am three episodes into it, and cursing that it isn't still on Netflix where I could watch it without buying it season by season. Good show.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
My sister told me I had to try "The West Wing", which I'd never watched when it was on TV. So I bought season 1 on Prime and am three episodes into it, and cursing that it isn't still on Netflix where I could watch it without buying it season by season. Good show.
HBO Max where it currently resides has some other good content if you ever think about doing a subscription instead of buying it season by season.

skatemomaz

Resist

HBO Max where it currently resides has some other good content if you ever think about doing a subscription instead of buying it season by season.
I usually end up bingeing it from time to time, especially when I am exhausted and stressed from real world politics. I was sad to see it leave Netflix, but I do have HBO Max, so I can still get my fix from time to time.
I bought my mom the 7 seasons in a DVD box set several years ago, it's still one of her favorite shows to watch.

clairecloutier

Any particular recommendations? (We just got HBO Max so we could watch His Dark Materials. Only other thing we've watched so far is Wonder Woman 1984.)

VGThuy

Any particular recommendations? (We just got HBO Max so we could watch His Dark Materials. Only other thing we've watched so far is Wonder Woman 1984.)
If you don't have a subscription to the Criterion Channel, HBO Max as streaming rights to a few of their films via their contract with Time Warner or Turner Classics or whatever it is. I believe Tokyo Story is available.

Japanfan

Would Game of Thrones be something you're interested in? They have all 8 seasons on there. I'm just about to begin a rewatch.

Game of Thrones demands a rewatch, it's so complicated. I've watched the full series twice, and some episodes a third time. Still confused.

Perhaps I will be inspired to read the books again at some point. Maybe if Martin actually ever finishes the series (the TV series having given him a direction).

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I enjoyed The Flight Attendant, and The Undoing was also a good watch.
Seconded. The Undoing was excellent, and The Flight Attendant was pretty good - made me want to know what happened even though I would cheerfully have strangled the title character.

Jimena

Raised by Wolves is pretty good if you like weird very convoluted sci-fi
I started and stopped after a few episodes. I loved the premise but the show didn't grab me that much. The main child actor annoyed me and I couldn't get past it.

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
The town of Letterkenny in the series is loosely based on the creator's hometown of Listowel, which is about a 45-minute drive from me. :)

Well someday when the *** is over, a trip to see friends and play tourist in various places in Ontario is on our bucket list. Pitter patter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information