Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatingguy

decently
It's funny, but whenever I hear/read someone reference Imelda Staunton as being in Harry Potter I forget that she actually played Dolores Umbridge. I associate her with other roles like Vera Drake more than that role.

LeafOnTheWind

I watched Disenchanted on Disney because Enchanted was a relatively cute movie. I can't believe I sat through all that singing to get to the poorly conceived badly written ending they came up with. :blah: It was so stupid that I'm more annoyed than I should be with a movie.

The evil queen threatens to kill Giselle's daughter if she reverses her wish. The theory being that Giselle has to choose between saving her daughter and Andalasia. The queen is using magic to threaten her daughter. The only reason magic is in the real world is because Giselle made a wish. Reverse the wish and she saves Andalasia and her daughter. FFS.

And this keeping the clock from striking midnight BS was annoying too. The day ended so the wish should have been permanent without the stupid clock striking midnight. They did this annoying construct just to wait to save the day until the last moment and keep drawing out all the above BS crap to reverse the wish. How did they even get to the top of the clock tower in time anyway? There is no way they managed to run to the top of the clock tower to keep it from striking midnight unless they magically teleported somewhere in between the ballroom and the top of the tower.

I hate this movie. I mean really, really, really hate this movie.

I wish they never made it. Except I don't have a magic wishing wand so nothing happened when I made my wish.

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I found something on Hulu called Reboot that I guess dropped this summer. At first I thought it would be a satire on the whole Roseanne reboot, but it's more than just a 'ripped from the headlines' type of show. Good cast, too. I've only seen a few episodes so far but looking forward to the rest.

Season 3 of Dead to Me starts here in Australia.

I didn't realise until the other day when I saw Christina Applegate get her star in Hollywood that she had MS. Then found out when she was filming this as she was deteriorating with the disease. Terrible thing for anyone to go through.
The Hollywood star story came up on my phone the other day and I've always liked Christina Applegate, so I clicked - I had no idea about her health issues and was shocked by how frail she was, and that she referred to herself as disabled. I went down a wormhole getting caught up. I've never seen the show Dead to Me and now I want to watch, as she did say she was determined to finish the show. Sounds like she has a lot of love and support around her.

“The Wonder” on Netflix is about a 19th century nurse who is asked to observe a girl who hasn’t eaten in five months and appears to be healthy. Florence Pugh, Tom Burke, Toby Jones and Ciaran Hinds star. I was entertained.
I really enjoyed the book, so I’ve been a little hesitant to watch it. But I also generally like Florence Pugh so I might give it a try.

Allskate

The Hollywood star story came up on my phone the other day and I've always liked Christina Applegate, so I clicked - I had no idea about her health issues and was shocked by how frail she was, and that she referred to herself as disabled. I went down a wormhole getting caught up. I've never seen the show Dead to Me and now I want to watch, as she did say she was determined to finish the show. Sounds like she has a lot of love and support around her.
I really like her as both an actress and a person. People tend to think that Hollywood stars live charmed lives, but she's had a number of tough challenges. She always seems to deal with these challenges with determination and grace. I watched her episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" and came away from it really liking and respecting her. I think you can watch that episode on Peacock.

I hope her condition improves. My grandmother had M.S. and was in a wheelchair relatively early on, but then improved quite a bit, though she always had to use a cane.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
HBO Max has a Black Friday offer of three months for $1.99/month. This plan does include ads. My subscription ends in two weeks so I’m glad I can jump on this to get me through S2 of White Lotus and Sex Lives of College Girls.

sk8pics

I posted this in the snark thread, but posting it here as well. Hulu is having their annual Black Friday sale, ends Monday. $1.99/month.

LeafOnTheWind

Apple tv is offering a 3 month free trial right now on the Roku. Probably on other devices to. I just created an account to ensure that Spirited will be on my viewing list if the friends don't want to see it. It also is going to give me a chance to watch Severance and The Shrink Next Door. I've been wanting to see those but the friends have passed on them.

I just need to remember to cancel in February.

skategal

Bunny mama
Mammals:lol: The British do love their dark comedy. Prime.
What a strange show.

I watched because I wanted to see if James Cordon had the acting chops to pull off a dark dramedy. He does.

All the actors are great in this but the plot, not so much. Too much whales and Coco Chanel.

Plus I figured out one of the plot twists in the first episode and then had to wait for the show to “catch up.”

Also, Tom Jones could have been given a better role than that cameo.

Watch this for the acting nothing else makes much sense. :lol:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
What a strange show.

I watched because I wanted to see if James Cordon had the acting chops to pull off a dark dramedy. He does.

All the actors are great in this but the plot, not so much. Too much whales and Coco Chanel.

Plus I figured out one of the plot twists in the first episode and then had to wait for the show to “catch up.”

Also, Tom Jones could have been given a better role than that cameo.

Watch this for the acting nothing else makes much sense. :lol:
I know, but it's oddly addictive.

If you get SciFi there is a new show called Reginald the Vampire based on Johnny Truant's Fat Vampire series. I follow his blog and he (the author) is really funny. You don't need to have read the books to get the show as they've changed quite a bit to make it fit TV.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Been watching Dead to Me. Enjoying it.

I also have on my list Wednesday Addams. Looking forward to that one.

skategal

Bunny mama
Does anyone know is this is on Prime in Canada? My prime account is in Canada and I can't find it listed there even though when I google release dates I see November 11 :confused:
I’m in Canada and I saw it there on my Prime account this morning.

I clicked on to read the description before scrolling by (not sure if I will like it.)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
So I just tried my VPN and set it to Canada and it's there. So I guess I am not getting ALL the content I am paying for because it's GEO blocked. I never noticed that before because I still get Canadian content but it's no wonder now that I rarely watch Prime because there isn't much on there :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Andor season finale was so satisfying! The show has been on a slow burn for large parts of the season but it all paid off with a bang!

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Teaser for Spirited with Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell on Apple TV

:rofl: wait for the guest appearance in the 2nd teaser

I have two sets of friends that subscribe to Apple TV. I have already started begging for a viewing party.
Definitely get a free offer, it is a highly enjoyable movie. I had several generations of family over last weekend and everyone liked it, rare for a musical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information