Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatingguy

decently
That JFK episode from season 2 was probably to most egregious example that borderlines real person fan fiction to the point where the premise and interactions were so absurd it almost turned the show from “prestige” television to one of those cheap daytime BBC soaps.

If any fan could ignore or even like that episode, and continue watching the show, then anything else the show had to offer thus far has been nothing.
Is that a reference to the comments that Jackie Kennedy made at the dinner party that were then relayed to the Queen?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
When I heard Dominic West was cast as Charles I assumed it was because of that series The Affair he was in which made me loathe the man. Having just watched The Crown I think Charles came off better than the character he played on that other show.

I really didn't like the casting for the Queen and Phillip. I was pleasantly surprised how much time was devoted to Bashir's deceit and manipulation.

skategal

Bunny mama
When I heard Dominic West was cast as Charles I assumed it was because of that series The Affair he was in which made me loathe the man. Having just watched The Crown I think Charles came off better than the character he played on that other show.

I really didn't like the casting for the Queen and Phillip. I was pleasantly surprised how much time was devoted to Bashir's deceit and manipulation.
Wow someone else who watched The Affair.

I thought I was the only one. :lol:

That was another show that went on too long.

And yes, Charles definitely comes across better than his character on The Affair.

It would be hard to come across worse. :lol:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Wow someone else who watched The Affair.

I thought I was the only one. :lol:

That was another show that went on too long.

And yes, Charles definitely comes across better than his character on The Affair.

It would be hard to come across worse. :lol:
Oh I watched The Affair too and because of it I cannot tolerate Dominic West in anything else because I despised him so much on that show lol. Give me back adorable Josh O’Connor as Charles!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Having finally finished this season, I have to say that, unlike in past seasons, there was major revisionist history going on there. I'm not a fan and am wondering if we'll even watch season 6.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Oh I watched The Affair too and because of it I cannot tolerate Dominic West in anything else because I despised him so much on that show lol. Give me back adorable Josh O’Connor as Charles!
I can't stomach the actor, the sight of him repulses me that I wasn't going to watch The Crown :lol:
Having finally finished this season, I have to say that, unlike in past seasons, there was major revisionist history going on there. I'm not a fan and am wondering if we'll even watch season 6.
Out of curiosity what parts are you referring to? I did think it was the least interesting of the series but I think the casting and the recent death of the Queen just felt off.

clairecloutier

I haven't watched The Affair. But I did see Dominic West in The Wire, and I was not particularly a fan of his character on that show, or of the actor, either, based on the few interviews I've read with him. So, not too excited when I heard he was playing Charles in season 5 of The Crown. We haven't watched season 5 of The Crown yet, but these FSU reviews are not promising. :lol:

manhn

I hate Dominic West too because of The Affair! I stopped watching The Crown in season 3 because I find Olivia Colman beyond boring. I hear season 4 is better, but I can't skip seasons.

manhn

I hate the character and the actor from The Affair (never watched The Wire). One of those characters who does bad things but you have to find at least sympathetic. One can blame poor writing, but his portrayal didn’t help either.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Season 3 of Dead to Me starts here in Australia.

I didn't realise until the other day when I saw Christina Applegate get her star in Hollywood that she had MS. Then found out when she was filming this as she was deteriorating with the disease. Terrible thing for anyone to go through.

skategal

Bunny mama
The character. West was amazing in this, as was Watson and Monica Dolan.
I don’t mind Dominic West as an actor although I admit that I know next to nothing about him in real life.

His character in The Affair was pretty horrible though and the redemption arc they wrote for the character in the last two seasons was all kinds of WTF?!?!?

love skating

Clueless American
I binge watched the entire series of The Affair just last year. I was so fascinated by the different perspective thing. I kinda had a love/hate for Noah, maybe more of a hate/love. I halfway bought into his redemption, but yeah, he was a slimy character! Really can't picture him as Prince Charles!!

Tesla

Whippet Good
I stopped watching The Crown in season 3 because I find Olivia Colman beyond boring. I hear season 4 is better, but I can't skip seasons.
Me, too. I didn't mind Olivia Colman but I was used to Claire Foy.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Out of curiosity what parts are you referring to? I did think it was the least interesting of the series but I think the casting and the recent death of the Queen just felt off.
They made Diana really whiny and said that her interview backfired on her and everyone hated her. I was alive then and that is not what happened. People are really mad at Charles after the interview for having an affair for most of their marriage. When it was said that they were going to divorce, fans of "Princess Di" were going nuts trying to argue why she should keep all her titles, get lots of money, etc. They were totally on her side and blamed Charles for everything.

The other thing I hated is how bloated the last few episodes felt with confusing flashbacks and also all those scenes of people we know nothing about talking to their marital counselors and all the scenes from the court of other divorces being granted.

Season 3 of Dead to Me starts here in Australia.
Oh, is it on Netflix? It wasn't when I looked last.

I didn't realise until the other day when I saw Christina Applegate get her star in Hollywood that she had MS. Then found out when she was filming this as she was deteriorating with the disease. Terrible thing for anyone to go through.
She had breast cancer too.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Oh, is it on Netflix? It wasn't when I looked last.

She had breast cancer too.
Just something came up on my FB feed that it was starting but not sure when. But have been wanting something to watch. I really liked the last two seasons.

flyingsit

I've loved The Crown but have zero interest in the new season. I lost interest when they got to the Charles/Diana stuff.

Jimena

I'm not that interested in The Crown now and wasn't that interested in season 3 and 4. I watched them but thought Olivia Colman was miscast, and Charles and Diana were both beyond annoying. Charles was oh so whiney and Diana came across to me as an attention hog with a personality disorder. I loved Tobias Menzies as Philip, though.

I'm one who really likes Dominic West. I loved him in The Wire (I didn't watch The Affair). I saw an interview of his on Graham Norton where they discussed his wedding and how HE was Groomzilla. I found it both hilarious and endearing.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I’m very bored with this season of The Crown but that’s because there is minimal Margaret. She’s the one that kept me watching the earlier seasons. I am still watching but also doing other things, it’s kind of background noise at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information