NBCSN to shut down

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
The Wall Street Journal article I saw mentioned that a lot of the "popular" sports would move to USA Network, but those were hockey and NASCAR. Diddn't see figure skating mentioned. I expect the non-NBC broadcasts will either be on the Olympic Channel while that's still around or streaming on Peacock.

BaileyCatts

So no offense to (some of) us here (myself included) :D ..... but your average skating fan base tends to skew a little older (again no offense to those who are not! :D ) and some of those fans simply aren't going to be able to deal with figuring out online streaming, this app or that app, blah blah blah or don't even have internet. How many people here can't even stream due to living in rural settings or no high speed access, or don't want to watch sitting at their computer or a tiny little phone versus their comfy spot in front of their television. They better not move all skating to online streaming only. I for one will be ticked if they do. :p

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So no offense to (some of) us here (myself included) :D ..... but your average skating fan base tends to skew a little older (again no offense to those who are not! :D ) and some of those fans simply aren't going to be able to deal with figuring out online streaming, this app or that app, blah blah blah or don't even have internet. How many people here can't even stream due to living in rural settings or no high speed access, or don't want to watch sitting at their computer or a tiny little phone versus their comfy spot in front of their television. They better not move all skating to online streaming only. I for one will be ticked if they do. :p
Unfortunately it's a sign of the times and it's been quite a while coming. I get it. When I was growing up, ESPN2 was not part of any cable plan in my town and I was never able to see a lot of SP stuff from Nationals and Worlds year after year.

Of course NBC wants everyone on Peacock-- they have paid a lot of money to get the rights to expensive TV shows like Law & Order and The Office, and they can charge a monthly fee to all subscribers solely to their own service.

We've gone into these types of discussions before, but the target audience is all within the age group of being familiar with streaming services, and that's all they probably care about. You also aren't going to make many new fans (by sticking to cable TV) when a lot of younger people are skipping cable altogether and instead paying for Netflix, Hulu, etc monthly.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Don't worry... most tvs have these apps built-in so you don't have to know that much to run them. I, for one, appreciate it because even though I can do fancy-dancy computer stuff, when I'm at home watching skating... I don't want to.

Japanfan

You can usually find Eurosport coverage of events on You Tube, probably watch the events live. We don't watch live generally and have relied on You Tube this past year or so for events like GPF. The CBC (Canada's public broadcaster) covered FS for many years but the contract expired and has not been renewed. There weren't even plans in place to cover Montreal worlds until it became clear that the host country had to provide a broadcaster.

I doubt there will be any coverage of Worlds this year, should they in fact happen. If the event proceeds, we'll have to use Eurosport again. It's annoying to have to hook the computer up to the TV and then to have to repeatedly get up and deal with the computer for one reason or another. But it is much better than nothing, and we still get to watch FS on the big screen.

tony

I doubt there will be any coverage of Worlds this year, should they in fact happen. If the event proceeds, we'll have to use Eurosport again. It's annoying to have to hook the computer up to the TV and then to have to repeatedly get up and deal with the computer for one reason or another. But it is much better than nothing, and we still get to watch FS on the big screen.
Unless you have an ancient, non-smart TV, there's no need for anything except a simple click from YouTube (or many other providers) to cast it to the TV. And if you can't do it from your computer but have a smart phone, you can do it that way as well.

tony

Click on what, exactly?
When you watch any YouTube video, there's a cast icon at the bottom right just next to the full screen button. If your computer or phone and smart TV are on the same internet connection, your TV should be listed as an option. Clicking that is the only thing you need to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information