NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Does anyone know if your xfinity is the premium account or if it needs to be upgraded?

NM. I just figured out how to check and it is included with Xfinity for $4.99/month. You can get an ad free option for a penny more.

sk9tingfan

Does anyone know if your xfinity is the premium account or if it needs to be upgraded?

No. I just brought it up with no problem. By the way, one can now fast forward with logical individual breaks! But, there are commercials :rolleyes:

maureenfarone

NM. I just figured out how to check and it is included with Xfinity for $4.99/month. You can get an ad free option for a penny more.
I think ad free is an additional $5.00 per month. From the website - Peacock Premium is $4.99 per month; Peacock Premium Plus (ad free) is $9.99 per month. I'm basing this on not having xfinity - just over the air on antenna and using my Roku to watch on tv.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think ad free is an additional $5.00 per month. From the website - Peacock Premium is $4.99 per month; Peacock Premium Plus (ad free) is $9.99 per month. I'm basing this on not having xfinity - just over the air on antenna and using my Roku to watch on tv.
You may be right. It says $5.00 for a 7 day trial. I'll have to see how annoying ads are first.

maureenfarone

You may be right. It says $5.00 for a 7 day trial. I'll have to see how annoying ads are first.
I also noticed this on the website relating to ad free: *Due to streaming rights, a small amount of programming will still contain ads (Peacock channels, events and a few shows and movies). So it seems even if you pay the extra for ad free you will still have some ads :rolleyes:. I think I will start with the $4.99 and see how it goes. As @skipaway posted, the yearly would subscription would also save a little money.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I think on Hulu it's been mostly Shonda Rhimes's shows (like Grey's Anatomy) that still had ads even on the ad-free tier. I imagine Peacock should make a list available of those cases but it'll probably be a small minority.

I'm guessing anyone without US billing and VPN is out of luck now even for Nats? :(

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Unless they cut into the middle of a program with an ad (which would be inexcusable), the option with ads shouldn’t be a big deal for skating. They’ll probably just be shown during the breaks.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I have it for free. Skate America 2019 is up there

Me too. Have Comcast-Xfinity hooked to an HD Smart TV. (Smart TV is my device of choice.) I just spoke “Peacock” into my remote. Then used keyboard to type email address and am in Peacock. Searched “figure skating” and the eight SkAm2019 events showed up. Other live and archived icons will appear in time. Easy peasy...so far. :)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Looks like Cox TV Essential customers have access to Peacock if we have the Contour 2 receiver. I have the Contour 1 but can upgrade for only $1.50 per month. That will be much cheaper than paying $49.99 per year!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I have to update my xfinity box in order to get Peacock TV. Guess I need to get that done before SkAm.

maureenfarone

I chatted with a friend last night and her Roku isn't on the list provided by Peacock :eek:. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be on the list because it is only 2 years old. She will be contacting customer service later today. At the moment she cannot find Peacock TV on her Roku so unless this can be fixed she will be forced to use a laptop cabled to her tv. Sadly she only got the Roku so she could watch NBC Gold without using a computer.

I also noted in the statement from U. S. Figure Skating that the archived videos on NBC Gold will only be available until the end of 2020!

maureenfarone

I am pretty sure my Roku is more than 2 years old and I got Peacock working on it last night.
Good! I think the Roku my friend has is a model 3810X Streaming Stick which isn't able to access Peacock TV. My Roku (no idea what model it is) found Peacock right away and it is 4 yrs. old.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Although we have a couple of Rokus lying around, I prefer my FireStick. Until Amazon catches up, I’ll just run an HDMI cable from the laptop.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I also noted in the statement from U. S. Figure Skating that the archived videos on NBC Gold will only be available until the end of 2020!
I believe that's because they are moving over to Peacock. At least that's my interpretation of the email I got from NBC.

maureenfarone

I believe that's because they are moving over to Peacock. At least that's my interpretation of the email I got from NBC.
Yes, I agree it is because of the move to Peacock. I feel kind of bad for the fans that really like to go back and watch older competitions since that will end. Personally I occasionally want to watch an individual performance, but don't usually rewatch entire competitions.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes, I agree it is because of the move to Peacock. I feel kind of bad for the fans that really like to go back and watch older competitions since that will end. Personally I occasionally want to watch an individual performance, but don't usually rewatch entire competitions.
But if they are Peacock, it won't end. You just change where you look.

sk8pics

Worked like a charm for me on Xfinity, no charge. This will be nice to have!

maureenfarone

Just a reminder that the archived events on NBC Gold are only available until the end of December 2020. I'm currently rewatching the Ladies FS from Greensboro since we aren't seeing much FS on TV right now.

Sylvia

TBD
In case all the 2019-20 figure skating events are deleted by tomorrow, I'm spending some time re-watching NBC Sports Gold today... starting with some of the Regional events in October 2019. :)

maureenfarone

A few days ago I read that the NBC Sports Gold Pass has extended the access to skating archives until April 19, 2021 (previously it was December 31, 2020). I didn't receive an email so I checked it out and found I had to log in and even without a current pass I was able to access the archives.

Here is a statement from the NBC Sports Gold page:

Due to this platform change, Figure Skating pass subscriptions will not auto-renew. Access to NBC Sports Gold Figure Skating replays ends on April 19, 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information