NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I just signed in and unchecked auto renewal in the account section. They may be scrambling to try and figure out what to do, but I decided not to wait around for the email in which I would probably receive sometime in September.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
I just signed in and unchecked auto renewal in the account section. They may be scrambling to try and figure out what to do, but I decided not to wait around for the email in which I would probably receive sometime in September.
Thanks for the reminder. I have done the same. And, I removed by credit card information. I can always add it later.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I've been keeping an eye on Peacock to see if there are any hints about NBC moving Gold programming there. Peacock Premium (the level that includes sports) is $5.99 a month, so would work out to be the same as ONE Gold subscription, but you would have access to more sports. So far, they've moved Premier League and some of the Golf Channel programming. I think the telling thing might be if the Tour de France shows up next week.

crzesk8dad

I might be inclined to pay the $5.99 per month, if they move Figure Skating to Peacock. With the other sports and shows shown in Premium, it's sounds like a better value, even though the price is a bit more in total. Thanks for the info. We shall see what happens.

maureenfarone

The article I read about Peacock says its not available yet for Roku or Amazon Fire Stick - is that still true? Since I don't have satellite or cable tv I might not have any way to watch FS at all. What a dreadful thought!

Aceon6

The article I read about Peacock says its not available yet for Roku or Amazon Fire Stick - is that still true? Since I don't have satellite or cable tv I might not have any way to watch FS at all. What a dreadful thought!
Not yet, but I’m sure it will be added. If you’re stuck, you can stream via the Peacock browser interface and cast to your TV. A cable subscription isn’t required for Peacock.

maureenfarone

Not yet, but I’m sure it will be added. If you’re stuck, you can stream via the Peacock browser interface and cast to your TV. A cable subscription isn’t required for Peacock.
Thanks for the info on Peacock, but sadly I don't have the slightest idea how to do what you suggest. I would have to find a 6 year old to help me!
I hope that they do have a Roku app because I could fumble my way through that and would actually enjoy some of the NBC programming which doesn't come in very well on my antenna.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Thanks for the info on Peacock, but sadly I don't have the slightest idea how to do what you suggest. I would have to find a 6 year old to help me!
I hope that they do have a Roku app because I could fumble my way through that and would actually enjoy some of the NBC programming which doesn't come in very well on my antenna.
When the time comes, use your web browser to sign up at Peacocktv.com. Even if you don’t cast it to your TV, you’d still be able to watch.

Simone411

I thought this might help you.

How to connect your laptop to your TV wirelessly or with HDMI

What I do is hook my laptop to my VIZIO TV using the HDMI ports. My laptop has a full-size HDMI port or output as it's called. I take an HDMI cable (it is full-size HDMI on each end).

I have 2 HDMI ports on my TV. I select the HDMI 2 port on my TV to plug in the HDMI cable to. You'll see a blue screen at first on your TV with No Signal.

I select the TV Input button on my DirecTV remote and scroll until I see HDMI 2. Once that is done, You should see the screen of your desktop on your TV. In other words, your TV is now a huge screen monitor. You can then go to Peacock or any other site using your laptop and you see it on the TV.

If you don't have an HDMI port on your laptop, there are other cables like a VGA cable that can be used. It gives a set of instructions for all the other ways with the link I provided from Cnet.

Last edited:

maureenfarone

@Simone411 thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. I don't have any of the cables you mentioned so I would have to purchase them, but maybe Best Buy will be open for customers. I really would hate to lose my laptop for the duration of a competition. Nothing is perfect, so maybe I will just have to adjust and I can do that if needed.

Simone411

@Simone411 thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. I don't have any of the cables you mentioned so I would have to purchase them, but maybe Best Buy will be open for customers. I really would hate to lose my laptop for the duration of a competition. Nothing is perfect, so maybe I will just have to adjust and I can do that if needed.
I hope it helped some. Before you go to Best Buy, check and see what kind of ports you have on your laptop besides your USB ports. I was lucky to have the HDMI port. I had purchased the laptop from Dell in 2013, and they asked me what I wanted exactly. So Dell really did "build one for me".

Just be sure to read that article. It will help you to figure out what type of ports you have on your laptop.

Debbie S

@maureenfarone You can order an HDMI cable online from Best Buy, or Crutchfield, any electronics retailer. If your laptop was built in the past 10 years, it likely has an HDMI port, but like Simone said, check before you buy. It will be slightly larger than the USB ports, usually on the same side. Mine is next to the ethernet (cable to modem) port.

vireo

@maureenfarone If you have a very new laptop, it likely won't have an HDMI port. The trend has been to eliminate HDMI ports as manufacturers strive to make laptops thinner.

There are adapters that will allow you to hook an HDMI cable to the USB port on your laptop. The adapters are affordable and readily available.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
If you have an HDMI port on your TV then you can get a Chromecast and just plug it in then connect to it from either your phone or the Chrome browser on your laptop and stream directly to your TV. That's what I did with NBCSportsGold the last couple seasons. I usually had a better stream coming from my phone than from my laptop but that could be due to my laptop's age.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I've been keeping an eye on Peacock to see if there are any hints about NBC moving Gold programming there. Peacock Premium (the level that includes sports) is $5.99 a month, so would work out to be the same as ONE Gold subscription, but you would have access to more sports. So far, they've moved Premier League and some of the Golf Channel programming. I think the telling thing might be if the Tour de France shows up next week.

The Tour de France remains on NBC Sports Gold as does the rest of the cycling content. I don’t know if they will consider a move in the future, but people who paid for the cycling pass paid in January.

Aceon6

Found my answer. Le Tour is also on Peacock Plus. It’s ad free on Gold.
Relevant info:

PEACOCK

Peacock Premium, available for $4.99 per month, will provide live streaming coverage of every stage of the 2020 Tour de France. Additional live sports coming to Peacock soon include coverage of La Vuelta, Premier League, golf’s U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open, an NFL Wild Card Playoff Game, and select events from the upcoming Tokyo and Beijing Olympics. Today, Peacock launched NBC Sports on Peacock, a new, exclusive free channel featuring live daytime sports talk programming. Fans can also watch on demand replays of events like Triple Crown horse races, daily highlights from NBC Sports, and hundreds of hours of sports series, documentaries and films

meggonzo

Banned Member
Did anyone get charged for NBC Gold renewal? I think they typically charge in August or September.

crzesk8dad

maureenfarone

I watch Peacock using my Android phone, casted to my TV via Chromecast. Works great.
I'm happy for you!

Sadly I just can't figure some of this stuff out so for me the easiest thing would be to use my Roku to watch Peacock. Reading what you posted I could feel my brain just :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:. If I had to, I could hook my laptop up to the tv and watch that way but that would mean my laptop isn't available for FSU.

crzesk8dad

I'm happy for you!

Sadly I just can't figure some of this stuff out so for me the easiest thing would be to use my Roku to watch Peacock. Reading what you posted I could feel my brain just :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:. If I had to, I could hook my laptop up to the tv and watch that way but that would mean my laptop isn't available for FSU.
I would think that Peacock and Roku will get together, as Roku is one of the big streaming interfaces. The only question is when. Hopefully, soon.

maureenfarone

There's probably instructions online somewhere. If it becomes the only way...
If it comes down to that I will have to watch on my laptop. Problem is my newish laptop developed audio problems and a hardware repair through Geek Squad takes 6 (six) weeks. I'm not willing to give up my only computer for 6 weeks so I purchased external speakers which have solved the problem.
What I have found trying to do things with online instructions if it says go here or click on this link and my display isn't an exact match I don't know where to look. This is even worse now with Windows 10 which I've only had for 9 months. Anyway I do appreciate all the help I've found on FSU but I'm still glad that a Roku app will, I hope, save me a lot of confusion.

Aceon6

maureenfarone

I’ve watched Gold using the FireStick. I use the NBCSports app then select Gold.
Yes I could also watch Gold on Roku. The problem was until a about a week ago there was no Roku app to watch Peacock TV. There is now an app for Roku so if NBC moves the Gold sports over to Peacock TV (which it seems to have started already) I can get the app on my Roku and watch FS on my tv. As far as I know there is no app yet to watch Peacock on my Amazon Fire tablet or on the Amazon Fire Stick.

When I posted the stuff you quoted I used NBC Gold instead of Peacock TV. Sorry about that the new app I needed for Roku was for Peacock TV and now it is available. Sorry for the confusion.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I just got the email from NBC Sports Gold.
Most Xfinity customers should already have access to Peacock Premium. Otherwise it's $4.99 a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information