NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I can get NBC Sports Gold app on my living room TV but not my bedroom TV. Perhaps b/c my bedroom TV is my "additional outlet", and it also doesn't have a DVR box, just a regular box (although I can watch DVR recordings on it)? Oh well, happy to watch on TV vs my laptop. :)

I have a similar problem with both of my newer TVs now (older Roku allowed me to install the app), but there is a workaround as long as it's a smart TV (or at least should work..). Open the Sports Gold app on your phone, and as long as you are connected to the same wireless network on both the phone and the TV, you should be able to cast to your TV. Of course it depends on the TV, but I'd imagine most of the newer ones-- anything really since smart TVs became a thing-- should allow you to do this.

PS- the TV outlet stuff has nothing to do with it. Either the TV is set up to allow you to install from a huge library of apps (where you would find Sports Gold), or they only permit certain ones that can be installed/used. My old TV was the former, my new 75" is the latter.

Another note- you don't have to have your phone screen on the app while it's being cast to the TV. You can text, browse the web, whatever else you typically would do. It will use your battery faster, but not as a severe rate. If you're home, you can be charging it anyways.

If any of you are having trouble with my explanation or need further details, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Thanks, @Tony Wheeler ! Actually, neither TV is a smart TV (it's on my list, I'm hoping for an extreme Black Friday markdown on the model I want), but I have Comcast/Xfinity so I can get the app via my box. But only on the 'main' box, not the additional outlet. So that means for early morning/late night GPs, I'll have to drag myself out of bed, lol.

FYI, I didn't see this mentioned upthread, but for those using the app on Comcast, you will need to "register" your TV to be able to access it....when I clicked on the app, I got a code and had to go to the NBC Sports site (screen gives you the link, I did it on my phone), choose my TV in the dropdown menu of devices and entered the code. Then I got a welcome message on the TV screen and it logged me in.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
@Tony Wheeler I can cast YouTube from my phone to my TV but I haven't been able to find an option to cast NBC Sports Gold to the TV. I wish there was because the Gold app still has the issue where live events don't play on my TCL TV/Roku. I might need to get a Fire stick if they don't fix the issue soon. It's been broken since July and they gave me no ETA last time I contacted NBC.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Thanks, @Tony Wheeler ! Actually, neither TV is a smart TV (it's on my list, I'm hoping for an extreme Black Friday markdown on the model I want), but I have Comcast/Xfinity so I can get the app via my box. But only on the 'main' box, not the additional outlet. So that means for early morning/late night GPs, I'll have to drag myself out of bed, lol.

I get what you are saying now. I’m on Atlantic Broadband and see the main (living room) box listed as an option to cast to, but I’ve never done it that way!

Yes, invest in a smart TV if the price is right. Preferably one that just allows you to directly download the Sports Gold app and it will save you a lot of agony! 🙂

honey

Apologies if this has been answered already, but any word on whether the US Classic will be available outside the US on the NBC Sports Gold stream? My assumption is no, but just wondering.

momnatur

"Available in the U.S. only"

Silvia,
I have nothing! NBCSGold says "UPCOMING" and starting at 8:30p. gives me a "close" option. Thaat is on Roku.

No luck on my iPhone either. Any cluess?

Oh, I did log out of both NBCS and reactivated, same with NBCSG. I'm quite annoyed. Pairs are probably over by now. HELP.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
And I should have paid attention earlier. They even sent me a reminder notice and I can’t watch on my phone, it sends me back to NBC sports gold and then to nbc sports and neither works.

ETA: somehow this dummy managed to activate it on my TV. Still not on my phone but I have a sofa, after all.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And I should have paid attention earlier. They even sent me a reminder notice and I can’t watch on my phone, it sends me back to NBC sports gold and then to nbc sports and neither works.
Are you logged in? I'm watching it on my smart TV and it come up on my laptop as well.

Amy L

My subscription didn't renew automatically, so I had to pay before I could watch. I only missed the first group warm up so it's all good.

My laptop still won't play Sports Gold so I'm glad Xfinity added the app! I was not happy to have to watch Worlds on my phone screen, so yay for improvements!

sk9tingfan

BTW, the app does not let you fast forward on replays. Had a conversation yesterday with NBC Sports Gold tech support who knows about this shortcoming and have submitted an inquiry to establish that capability. Given how new this app is as well as relationship, who knows when that will be brought in.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I am still without the app on my Xfinity box, which is aggravating. But, at least I have a Chromecast and am streaming to my TV via my phone. Something to look into as the season gets underway, for sure, once I get some other, non-skating-related projects out of the way in the next 3.5 weeks.

Willin

Ugh
Trying to watch but the site keeps staying on the "initializing" stage indefinitely...

DreamSkates

Just wondering... for those who have subscribed, how has your viewing experience been so far?

HELP! Had no problems last year via Google Chrome + HDMI cable to my TV.
This year - I have the popup blocker off, allowed cookies, even added the site address. All I get is initializing but no further.
I watched several of last year's events, last week, with no problems.
Suggestions?
I've emailed NBC sports support. Which will take time to receive an answer. Meanwhile I'm missing tonight's live action. Not happy.

Karen-W

This year - I have the popup blocker off, allowed cookies, even added the site address. All I get is initializing but no further.
Suggestions?
I've emailed NBC sports support. Which will take time to receive an answer. Meanwhile I'm missing tonight's live action. Not happy.
Can you stream from your phone to your TV?

Willin

Suggestions?
This is the exact problem I have. It worked well last year but this year nothing. I just tried incognito mode and that worked.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I could cast no problem to my smart TV but I can’t get it to airplay to my Apple TV on my other tv this year. It worked great last year during US nationals though.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I'm trying to authorize my Fire stick again (why do I have to do it again? who knows), but the code shows 'error'. Ugh

maureenfarone

I had problems last night which were caused because they tried to charge an old credit card. I put the new card in my account at NBC sports even before the reminder to update info in August. I was stunned when I went to my account and found they tried to charge the old card but did not bother to inform that the transaction didn't go through. I put in my new card number (which they already had because it was on the account) and paid for the subscription and then I was finally able to watch. This was an awful lot like the stuff that happened so many times with IceNetwork.

kittyjake5

I had problems last night which were caused because they tried to charge an old credit card. I put the new card in my account at NBC sports even before the reminder to update info in August. I was stunned when I went to my account and found they tried to charge the old card but did not bother to inform that the transaction didn't go through. I put in my new card number (which they already had because it was on the account) and paid for the subscription and then I was finally able to watch. This was an awful lot like the stuff that happened so many times with IceNetwork.
Same exact thing happened to me. Silly me thought my account would be auto renewed.

DreamSkates

Hmmm..I will have to check this because I also changed credit cards and auto-renewed. I did, however, receive an email that my subscription had been renewed.

DreamSkates

Can you stream from your phone to your TV?
I don't have enough data to stream from my phone.
But I do have wifi at home - stupid question, if my phone connects to my wifi does it still use data?
But no I don't have a way to stream from phone to TV or what would I need to do that?

Karen-W

I don't have enough data to stream from my phone.
But I do have wifi at home - stupid question, if my phone connects to my wifi does it still use data?
But no I don't have a way to stream from phone to TV or what would I need to do that?
If you connect your phone to your wifi when at home then, no, you aren't using your phone's data limit. I have a Chromecast which is plugged into one of my TV's HDMI ports. the Chromecast also connects to your home wifi. My Chromecast is an older version so the set up was a bit tricky but I think the newer versions are much easier. You can get a Chromecast at pretty much any major electronics store/department for a reasonable price. I love it.

JOHIO2

You'd think Gold would have worked out their bugs by now! Even trying their "fixes" does not make it work on my laptop in Chrome browser, which was how I usually would watch it. New season. Same problem. Thankful that it does work on my ROKU. Almost started complaining about that, until I remembered I installed a newer model a few months ago. But I got a prompt to activate on newer Roku and now, it is working fine. Now, I just gotta see if Olympic Channel will be available without mucho trouble before the Olympics. NBC is not the easiest company to work with, but it is nearly a year out. I'm sure they will find SOME way to fubar us sports junkies! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information