NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

BittyBug

Disgusted
About replays: I find that if I just navigate through the site by clicking on their tabs or using the back button once a competition is in progress, the site does not update, so it doesn't show replays that have been posted, and in fact doesn't even show a new event that is now underway (for example, if the ladies free was supposed to start at 1 PM and it's now 1:10 PM, it doesn't automatically update the playing now section. I have to fully refresh the page to get it to show up.

clairecloutier

Just dropping in to say that the NBC Sports Gold service has been amazing for me so far, knock on wood. The only significant glitch was the time that the FD started late at one of the events (Helsinki?). Otherwise it’s been great! I’m enjoying being able to watch more on my TV again (with Roku), and I really appreciate that they’re getting archived streams up so quickly. The last few years, I was subscribing to TVTeka and the NBC cable sports channels (Olympic Channel and NBCSN) as well as IceNetwork, but this year I’ve been able to get by fine with just the Gold service. The one thing I do miss a bit is expert commentary (Ben/Tanith/etc) during ice dance, but that’s minor.

AJ Skatefan

Sports Gold has been great. I’ve been watching it on my computer but just ordered a Roku. Planning to cut the cable.

bladesofgorey

I bought the package and it's been working out great for watching replays after competitions (goodbye to being productive after work). I freaking love that most of the competitions are commentary-free.

Somewhat unrelated- I may be the last to know, but USFA has been uploading much of the ice network archive videos- which is great since I figured videos of friends competing at Adult Nationals were gone forever, but the Adult Nationals archive is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-CheZaoFWwR5Io4ZpCPKoEJEK16uNtN3

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Just chiming in to say ditto about the new service. My only fear is that we'll get the heavily produced stream again for nationals bc that's solely an NBC production. Hopeful that my feedback to my friend at NBC Sports gives us a commentary-free streaming option.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
FWIW, I've used both Roku and a Fire stick with NBC Sports Gold for the GP series. We have wonky internet that can be marvelous one day, totally crappy the next. The Fire stick does a better job of smoothing things out and has less of a tendency to drop the stream. YMMV.

maureenfarone

My experience with NBC Gold has been good. My only serious issue was with Midwestern Sectionals Sr. Ladies FS. Several times during that competition the stream just died and I missed part of 3 different skaters. I watched it later on demand and the problem was still there. Other than that issue with Sectionals, I had a very small amount of the stream being blurry once or twice during the GPs.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I have been very pleased as well, now that the GP series is about to end.

I hope for a commentary free stream as well for Nationals.

One thing I wish for is for them to obtain US rights to Canadian, Russian and Japanese nationals - that would be very cool. I don't know how costly it would be (eps since there are no US broadcasting options currently), but I wouldn't mind paying a bit for an addon package to watch those.

AJ Skatefan

I'm still catching up with the GP series on NBC Gold and tonight I wanted to watch Rostelecom Cup. It and the GP France don't seem to be available On Demand. Is anyone else having that problem? I sent an email to the support address.

maureenfarone

I'm still catching up with the GP series on NBC Gold and tonight I wanted to watch Rostelecom Cup. It and the GP France don't seem to be available On Demand. Is anyone else having that problem? I sent an email to the support address.
I don't see either on demand when I check on my computer. To confuse the matter even more, both show up when I look at Gold on my roku :confused:.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I had trouble finding certain things before I edited the Filters for replays. I’m not sure how it works on the website, but both the tablet and stick apps have an option to filter once you navigate to the Replay screen.

maureenfarone

I had trouble finding certain things before I edited the Filters for replays. I’m not sure how it works on the website, but both the tablet and stick apps have an option to filter once you navigate to the Replay screen.
Thanks but I did filter them on both my laptop and roku. This morning IDF and Rostelecom did not show up on my laptop....and now they do. This morning everything was showing up on the roku. I'm still happy with the experience compared to Icenetwork.

Theoreticalgirl

Just a head's up, I got a message from NBC Sports Gold:

Starting January 4th, all of the content on your NBC Sports Gold Pass will be found in the NBC Sports app.

Get ready for the new way to watch and download the app now!

Mostly they're migrating the location of content from Gold to the main NBCsports.com portal. Nothing really changes, though you'll need a new app if you watch on the phone/streaming player/etc.

Theoreticalgirl

@shuilee YOU CAN STILL WATCH IT ON THE DESKTOP. Read my post. Nothing is really changing—they're rolling out a new app that rolls together all of NBC's currently silo'ed services, and you just need to visit one website for all the things.

Sheesh people.

maureenfarone

I am really concerned about this change. I only have tv on antenna over the air. My understanding is that to obtain the NBC Sports app you need a cable/satellite tv logon which I don't have. I've been really happy to use the NBC Sports Gold on my computer and Roku because it has been really reliable, and most important to me, I don't need to have cable/satellite provider.

I am really hoping that USFS and NBC remember that this coverage is supposed to be available with the NBC Gold Pass and not dependent on a cable/satellite provider.

Debbie S

@shuilee YOU CAN STILL WATCH IT ON THE DESKTOP. Read my post. Nothing is really changing—they're rolling out a new app that rolls together all of NBC's currently silo'ed services, and you just need to visit one website for all the things.

Sheesh people.
The email wasn't clear, though, since it just talked about the app. It does say at the bottom (in small print) that content is available on the NBC Sports Gold website, but the 'announcement' is a little misleading. They probably should have specified "mobile content".

When I downloaded the new app, it first asked me if I subscribe to such-and-such premium sports channel in my area, which I don't, then took me to a page to ask if I wanted specific content or alerts for those markets. I kept tapping the "next" button and it took me to the main page.

maureenfarone

I'm starting to feel reallllly old with all this stuff. I checked NBC Sports App for Roku today and it says a cable or satellite subscription is required. I had this problem before the Olympics and the only way I could get in was to subscribe to Sling TV Blue and I used that account for the user name and password which NBC could verify. When I tried to use Spectrum (which provides only my internet) the username/password did not verify that I had the required cable/satellite service and I could not get access to NBC coverage online with that account.

Guess I will just wait and see.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Hmmm... I just noticed this news today and checked both the NBC Sports app and the NBC Sports Gold app which I have on my phone as well as the websites (I do have a cable provider). The NBC Sports app doesn't have the figure skating migrated yet but it's all still available on the NBC Sports Gold app. When I go to the NBCSports.com website and click on the Figure Skating link at the top of the page I automatically get directed to the NBCSports.com/gold pages and all of the figure skating content is still available.

I really hope that whatever migration that is taking place is done by Nationals as I just realized this evening that I'll be on a roadtrip with my nieces to northern California that Friday and Saturday so any watching I get to do will be from my phone (thankfully, the older niece can drive and I'll be happy to let her drive while I'm watching these very important competitions, lol).

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I was able to log into the NBC Sports app on my Roku without giving a cable provider. It just asked me to activate my Roku and then login with my Sports Gold login. I can see all the skating archives back to October 2017.

Debbie S

When I go to the NBCSports.com website and click on the Figure Skating link at the top of the page I automatically get directed to the NBCSports.com/gold pages and all of the figure skating content is still available.
The only change is the mobile app. If you are on your desktop/laptop, you will still go to the same NBC Sports Gold page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information