NBC Network Olympics Coverage

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Since both of you are watching in 4K, please let us know how Chris and Charlie are doing as announcers - and if the coverage is any different.
Turns out 4K is not live, so I ended up with the Australian announcer just like everyone else, it still looked pretty good on the 4K TV. Might watch after the Olympics are over but right now I'm struggling to keep up with the live events.

Susan1

I can't get to the private Other Olympic sports, so can I mention here that Skicross is on Feb. 20. I just remembered to look it up. It's like motocross or BMX on skis. It makes me smile.

A.H.Black

Turns out 4K is not live, so I ended up with the Australian announcer just like everyone else, it still looked pretty good on the 4K TV. Might watch after the Olympics are over but right now I'm struggling to keep up with the live events.
I think I knew the 4k was tape delayed. If you watch any of the coverage, I would still love to know.

A.H.Black

Schedule for Sunday - Figure Skating - 02/11/18

Times are Eastern

Olympic Ice Pre-show - 6:00 pm streaming/NBCSN
Competition - 8:00 pm - streaming/NBC
Olympic Ice Post-show - 11:05 pm appears to be only online.

There is supposed to be a training on right now but it isn't there.

Sylvia

TBD
Schedule for Sunday - Figure Skating - 02/11/18
There is supposed to be a training on right now but it isn't there.
Practice Rink live streaming is scheduled to start at 6:30 pm Eastern (there was no live practice stream from the main rink).

DreamSkates

It doesn't seem like there is much figure skating on NBC SN, which I subscribed to hoping to get more than will be on prime time. In fact today (Sunday) it said Watch Figure Skating, but women's hockey was on. The only thing I saw later was interviews and fluff. I may just unsubscribe the NBC SN - not worth it.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Easy guide to finding Olympic Ice:

Pre-show with Liam/Tanith/Scott - Always on both NBCSN and live stream - Always starts one hour prior to NBC's primetime coverage

Post-show with Krista/Ben/Charlie/Kristi - Always live stream only - Always starts immediately following NBC's primetime coverage

TanithandBenFan

It doesn't seem like there is much figure skating on NBC SN, which I subscribed to hoping to get more than will be on prime time. In fact today (Sunday) it said Watch Figure Skating, but women's hockey was on. The only thing I saw later was interviews and fluff. I may just unsubscribe the NBC SN - not worth it.

They will be showing the early groups of all the individual events and they show Olympic Ice every night (see my post above).

Willin

For the Vancouver games, there was an online app that let you "score" the skaters based on the IJS system (ie. do your own GOEs) and then it would calculate the score for you to compare to the final score. Is there anything like this out there right now?
I know there's apps, but you have to plug in all the elements as you go, so it's not necessarily optimized for live viewing/mock scoring of an event.

Sylvia

TBD
Team USA, wearing their team bronze medals, will be interviewed on the Today Show soon... (ETA) just after the 8 o'clock hour Eastern time. All were there excerpt for Nathan.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Team USA, wearing their team bronze medals, will be interviewed on the Today Show soon... (ETA) just after the 8 o'clock hour Eastern time. All were there excerpt for Nathan.

What was Nathan’s excuse for not being on this morning’s TODAY Show joint interview? Very noticeable, even though the hosts failed to mention that - oops! - one is missing...uh, the one who was hyped more than any other skater coming into the games!!! All the rest of the bronze team winning skaters showed up & looked so happy. Nathan, by not being with his team, comes off as an arrogant prima donna.

ilovepaydays

What was Nathan’s excuse for not being on this morning’s TODAY Show joint interview? Very noticeable, even though the hosts failed to mention that - oops! - one is missing...uh, the one who was hyped more than any other skater coming into the games!!! All the rest of the bronze team winning skaters showed up & looked so happy. Nathan, by not being with his team, comes off as an arrogant prima donna.

Does he has practice early the next morning? Maybe that’s a bigger priority for him. If he wins a medal in the men’s event, will most people even remember or care that he wasn’t on the Today Show for this team medal?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Does he has practice early the next morning? Maybe that’s a bigger priority for him. If he wins a medal in the men’s event, will most people even remember or care that he wasn’t on the Today Show for this team medal?

Adam was in the interview and he’s in the same Men’s event as Nathan!

ilovepaydays

Adam was in the interview and he’s in the same Men’s event as Nathan!

Nathan has a realistic shot a medal, even a gold medal. Adam doesn’t.

Re Nathan. Maybe he wasn’t feeling well. Maybe he’s at physio. Maybe today was the day his family scheduled time with the relatives. We don’t know, don’t have the right to know, and shouldnt be obsessing.

Agreed. I think every athlete has to figure out their own best way to get through any competition, especially at this level. Ultimately, Nathan has to look at himself for how he’s handled his Olympic experience.

Justathoughtabl

I don't think it's arrogant at all. His thinking was less likely, "Who needs this?" and more likely, "I need the training and/or rest time." His first priority is to the sport. (The Shibs skipped the Opening Ceremony for this reason.) Also, I would think he'd be concerned he might get questions about what happened in his team short. Maybe he doesn't need that messing with his head right now, when he's probably trying to keep a clean slate for the individual competition. He must feel SO much pressure.

Willin

It may also be that Nathan realizes the media attention and hype is affecting him, so he wants to stay out of the spotlight as much as possible until he's done competing. I don't consider that a bad thing. He needs to do whatever he needs to do in order to perform his best. Adam is obviously very comfortable in the spotlight, and he's handled the pressure of media attention amazingly so far, so I doubt he would change anything.

Justathoughtabl

It may also be that Nathan realizes the media attention and hype is affecting him, so he wants to stay out of the spotlight as much as possible until he's done competing. I don't consider that a bad thing. He needs to do whatever he needs to do in order to perform his best. Adam is obviously very comfortable in the spotlight, and he's handled the pressure of media attention amazingly so far, so I doubt he would change anything.

Yup, and Adam is a lot older than Nathan. Adam said in one of his interviews that if he had made it to an Olympics when he was younger, he might not have known how to handle it.

A.H.Black

Figure Skating Schedule - 02/13 - Pairs Short

Times are eastern -

Olympic Ice Pre-show - 7:00 pm NBCSN /online (Scott, Tanith)
Competition - 8:00 pm NBCSN and NBC and online - Early groups will/should be shown on NBCSN. NBC will be going back and forth to other sports, as always. Only time will tell if we get to see ALL the performances between the 2 networks. The online stream should have ALL the skates.
Olympic Ice Post-show - 11:35 pm Online only (Kristi, Ben, Charlie)

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how...ating-during-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang

Last edited:

A.H.Black

@A.H.Black On my TV's guide it says instead of Olympic ice at 7EST they will be showing the early groups
Mine says "Figure skating pairs' short program and Olympic Ice". Also on the Streaming schedule page it lists the time for the Olympic Ice Pre-show as 7pm ET / 4pm PT.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Warm up group 1 hits the ice at 10 am Korea time or 8 pm Eastern. The NBCSN show will just be the talking heads, so there's no need to fire up the technology until a bit before 8 or whatever your local time is.

Willin

@TanithandBenFan I have no idea what the TV guide was talking about then. I don't think they separate the talking heads part from the rest of the broadcast, so maybe that's the problem there.

Susan1

I couldn't stay awake past 11, so I hit record on the regular NBC channel and added half an hour past the 11:30 stop time. I just watched what I recorded and it did go to 51 minutes.

When they do the split screen, I wish they would put the commercial in the smaller square. Or save it till the warm up.

I've had to separately schedule Olympic Ice for each day because the name on the screen is 2018 Olympic games and if I would have tried to tell it to tape the series every day, it would schedule every 2018 Olympic games. I watched Monday and Tuesday's Olympic Ice as it was on anyway and just deleted what I recorded. It doesn't make much sense to record Olympic Ice talking about what's going to happen that night and watch it after the competition already happened.

TanithandBenFan

I've had to separately schedule Olympic Ice for each day because the name on the screen is 2018 Olympic games and if I would have tried to tell it to tape the series every day, it would schedule every 2018 Olympic games. I watched Monday and Tuesday's Olympic Ice as it was on anyway and just deleted what I recorded. It doesn't make much sense to record Olympic Ice talking about what's going to happen that night and watch it after the competition already happened.

Olympic Ice often has skaters in the studio for interviews, so I think it's worth recording for that even if you don't want to watch the rest. I've really enjoyed the interviews since we haven't seen extended ones with skaters like Bradie and Vincent before, and these let us see more of their personalities.

Susan1

Olympic Ice often has skaters in the studio for interviews, so I think it's worth recording for that even if you don't want to watch the rest. I've really enjoyed the interviews since we haven't seen extended ones with skaters like Bradie and Vincent before, and these let us see more of their personalities.

I've remembered to watch it even though I am recording it. I'll record and watch later on days that the skating isn't on right after. I like Scott and Tanith's demonstrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information