Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan will also be receiving an award at the Committee of 100 conference on May 5, which just so happens to be his birthday as well.
Re-posting here from the U.S. SOI thread in GSD (edited in new link so that the 2nd tweet about his sister accepting the Trailblazer award on his behalf would be displayed):

ETA #2 - The 2nd tweet has since been deleted and the correct sister, Alice, was added to the thread, now displayed above.

(Decided to keep this Janice Chen article & excerpt below anyways :))

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Janice is a trailblazer in her own field - March 27, 2022 article:

Excerpt from the end:

LJ: I have to ask about your brother: Olympic gold medal ice skater Nathan Chen. Let’s start with where you were when you watched his performance. Was it hard to not be in the room?

JC: It was tough not to be there in person. I was just at home in San Francisco. My mom drove up from Southern California and my dad flew in from Colorado, and then my brother also came up from SoCal. I have a big family — five siblings — and we’re all scattered around the country. It’s hard to even [describe] what it’s like to watch your brother, who you’ve seen from when he was three years old getting on the ice, actually achieve his dreams. And, of course, being with my parents was really special. It’s hard to put into words, just how much he’s overcome to meet this moment. I’m so proud of him.

Last edited:

sheetz

Sister Alice attended the Committee of 100 event and accepted the award on his behalf.

A selection of birthday well wishers:
Scott Hamilton https://www.instagram.com/p/CdLfpSegMPS/
Stephanie Grosscup https://www.instagram.com/p/CdL_0B9rGE2/
Sharita Taylor, a Special Olympics skater Nathan met several years ago https://www.instagram.com/p/CdLbmprL4lT/
Team Panasonic https://www.instagram.com/p/CdLXwGMMiEu/

Preview of the NBC special, Inspiring America, in which Nathan and other Olympians were interviewed about overcoming setbacks.

sheetz

Nathan announces his appearance on tonight's broadcast of Inspiring America.

He's also going to be featured on an episode of the NBC series One Team: The Power of Sports

Nathan posing with his minime at the Cleveland M&G

Video of Alice and Nathan (via video) accepting his award at the Committee of 100 gala

Even though his birthday was spent in isolation at least Nathan will have a birthday cake waiting for him in Detroit.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Nathan announces his appearance on tonight's broadcast of Inspiring America.

He's also going to be featured on an episode of the NBC series One Team: The Power of Sports

Nathan posing with his minime at the Cleveland M&G

Video of Alice and Nathan (via video) accepting his award at the Committee of 100 gala

Even though his birthday was spent in isolation at least Nathan will have a birthday cake waiting for him in Detroit.
The actual telecast can be summed up in three words, "Not enough Nathan". :rolleyes:

sheetz

ESPN spotlights Asian American excellence in US figure skating.

Nathan's autographed photos from the SOI online store have already sold out! When I first learned of them I thought it funny that they had so many more of his in stock compared to the other skaters (He had 90+ compared to all the others with 10-25) but I guess they knew what they were doing! It wasn't surprising that Vincent's have also sold out as for some inexplicable reason they only initially stocked about 10 of his.

Shout out from Nathan's physical therapist

Last edited:

sheetz

More from the Inspiring America interview. The whole segment is 8 min altogether. (Updated with Youtube link)

The Olympic roundup issue of Skating Magazine is up.

Nathan had a fun interaction with one of his fans SOI M&G. Among other things he said, he confirmed Massimo Scali choreographed Space Song.

Last edited:

sheetz

Nathan's interview from his visit to the Panasonic Museum in Osaka

SOI Japan special edition is airing tonight. Includes interviews, backstage video, and new camera angles. Also has special footage of Rika asking Nathan for his autograph. :rofl:

sheetz

Some behind the scenes footage from Japan SOI:
Chumming around with JLB, Madi, and Evan
Rika awaiting Nathan for his autograph

Nathan will be featured on today's episode NBC's One Team: The Power of Sports. The program can be viewed on NBC.com as well as Peacock.

They restocked another 15 of Nathan's SOI photos yesterday so if grab 'em while you can!

sheetz

Where are you seeing the number of photos?
The trick is to put one of the photos into your cart. Then go to the cart and change the number to something large, like 100. The number will then automatically revert to however many there are remaining. Yesterday there were 15 and now the number is down to 8. ETA: Now down to 6!

Last edited:

sheetz

Disappointed that Nathan's portion of the One Team: The Power of Sports episode was just old footage. Lame. 💩

Nathan being the boot doctor.

Reminder that tomorrow is Nathan Chen Day in Salt Lake City. Just in time for Wednesday's SOI show!

And...Nathan's SOI photos have sold out once again!

sheetz

sheetz

^Apparently med school is still in the plans.

Also a nice mention of Nathan in interview of Hawayek and Baker
In Beijing there were many exciting moments to celebrate.

“The most obvious [for me] would be the opening and closing ceremonies,” Hawayek noted. “Just being able to walk with your entire country [mates] and share that collective memory was really special. It was also super special to watch Nathan (Chen) win gold, and our teammates Madi (Hubbell) & Zach (Donohue) and Madi (Chock) and Evan (Bates) in the team and individual events.”

“I think watching Nathan deliver the performance that he did was very special,” Baker added. “I just screamed my soul out of my body. I had just watched my best friend win the Olympics. It was so cool! We all had tears in our eyes seeing the fruits of his labor show up and getting what he truly deserves. It was an ecstatic experience. The opening ceremony was almost a similar feeling, but being able to watch him win his Olympic title was so cool.”

Yesterday the SOI gang had some fun golfing.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
'Nathan Chen Day" will be officially declared in Utah tomorrow (May 18) - article from the Salt Lake Tribune: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2022/05/17/gov-spencer-cox-declare/
Don’t be surprised if on Wednesday you feel the spontaneous urge to leap into the air and spin four times. Because in Utah, it will officially be Nathan Chen Day.
State legislators and the Utah Sports Commission plan to honor the gold medalist figure skater in the Capitol chamber at 11 a.m. with a ceremony and a declaration from Gov. Spencer Cox. That evening, Chen is scheduled to perform with other Olympians at the Maverik Center with the Stars on Ice exhibition tour.

sheetz

Just in case there is any confusion, May 18 will be Nathan Chen Day for the state of Utah. The proclamation 4 years ago was for May 16 to be Nathan Chen Day for only Salt Lake City.

sk9tingfan

NBC Olympics provides some insight into Nathan's return to Yale this August. He sounds a little bit like Alysa or visa versa. I wonder if they had some long conversations.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information