Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Firedancer

Looks like Nathan is going for the 6 quads tonight. Hope he can have a strong FS to hopefully move up and take confidence into next week.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Looks like Nathan is going for the 6 quads tonight. Hope he can have a strong FS to hopefully move up and take confidence into next week.
Ugh I forgot he's doing the double. Maybe that has messed with his usual competition prep routine?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Ugh I forgot he's doing the double. Maybe that has messed with his usual competition prep routine?
I'd think that it is more likely to mess with the 2nd competition rather than the 1st though but who knows? I do wish that he had chosen a different event for his 2nd one rather than SkAm and SCI back-to-back.

Firedancer

I'd think that it is more likely to mess with the 2nd competition rather than the 1st though but who knows? I do wish that he had chosen a different event for his 2nd one rather than SkAm and SCI back-to-back.

Originally, I thought doing the back to back events could work well for him because it allowed him to get both events done with limited travel and left him a couple weeks to train and make any adjustments before the final. I feel like that choice is not looking as good after last night. Now he goes into next week with really no time to make adjustments. And I’m really not sure that SP is the best choice

Karen-W

Originally, I thought doing the back to back events could work well for him because it allowed him to get both events done with limited travel and left him a couple weeks to train and make any adjustments before the final. I feel like that choice is not looking as good after last night. Now he goes into next week with really no time to make adjustments. And I’m really not sure that SP is the best choice
Yes, I don't think it was a bad strategy back in June. What should have happened though is the USFS should have insisted that he have at least one early fall event. Yes, I realize he usually does Japan Open but it was pretty clear back in July that there wouldn't be any international competitors for that event this year. Finlandia would have been the same amount of travel and was the same weekend.

puppylover

Self-sabotage at its finest.

Nathan has a history of struggling with nerves when there’s any kind of pressure on him, especially during the SP. Yet he and his team are seemingly hell-bent on repeating their mistakes from last Olympic season.

Doing an SP layout that he’s already struggled with in a non-Olympic season with, I assume, a lot less pressure (Nats and Worlds in 2021). When he could do a tried and tested layout with a 4T + either 4Lz or 4F.

Chasing the hardest layout out there doing an unnecessary 6 quad LP including an unstable, problematic 4Lo (when there’s other problem jumps already such as 3A, 4Lz and 4S).

All this secrecy surrounding his programs and waiting to reveal them until the very first competition, no doubt turning it into a big deal in his mind too, this on top of the already existing first-comp-of-the-Olympic-season jitters.

And this is only Skate America, just wait for what skating at the Olympics again will feel like. How does he expect to handle that?

You know, there were people looking forward to seeing and enjoying his new programs, not watching a splat-fest that could’ve been for the most part, if not entirely, avoided.

Firedancer

Yes, I don't think it was a bad strategy back in June. What should have happened though is the USFS should have insisted that he have at least one early fall event. Yes, I realize he usually does Japan Open but it was pretty clear back in July that there wouldn't be any international competitors for that event this year. Finlandia would have been the same amount of travel and was the same weekend.

Agreed, I think not having any events before this probably hurt him. And I would love to know about what feedback he got on that SP at champs camp.

Karen-W

Agreed, I think not having any events before this probably hurt him. And I would love to know about what feedback he got on that SP at champs camp.
I have been wondering that for the past 24 hours since we heard the cut during practice yesterday. Surely the USFS didn't let it go without questioning it.

Audrey177

Self-sabotage at its finest.

Nathan has a history of struggling with nerves when there’s any kind of pressure on him, especially during the SP. Yet he and his team are seemingly hell-bent on repeating their mistakes from last Olympic season.

Doing an SP layout that he’s already struggled with in a non-Olympic season with, I assume, a lot less pressure (Nats and Worlds in 2021). When he could do a tried and tested layout with a 4T + either 4Lz or 4F.

Chasing the hardest layout out there doing an unnecessary 6 quad LP including an unstable, problematic 4Lo (when there’s other problem jumps already such as 3A, 4Lz and 4S).

All this secrecy surrounding his programs and waiting to reveal them until the very first competition, no doubt turning it into a big deal in his mind too, this on top of the already existing first-comp-of-the-Olympic-season jitters.

And this is only Skate America, just wait for what skating at the Olympics again will feel like. How does he expect to handle that?

You know, there were people looking forward to seeing and enjoying his new programs, not watching a splat-fest that could’ve been for the most part, if not entirely, avoided.
yes, i think there were nerve issues here. i wish he would simplify the layout.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The funny thing is, for most skaters a bronze at a GP is a respectable result. We're just used to Nathan dominating. I said this in the pbp threads, but I'm honestly glad he lost early in the season. Even he said it was inevitable. If it hadn't happened now it was going to be this thing constantly hanging over his head. I hope now he can relax hoping that people have more realistic expectations of the fact that he is human and will make errors.

I think his LP is brilliant and if he skates it full out it will be incredible. I'm less convinced on the SP, but we shall see. Nathan has seemed resistant to changing programs in the past. We know he was never fully comfortable with his SP last season, but he stuck with it. Anyway, hope he has time to decompress for a day or so and then get ready for next weekend.

Firedancer

At the press conference, Nathan said loop is something that he wants to challenge himself on, but he doesn’t know where it’ll be this season. So I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see it next week. Maybe that will allow him to relax a little bit and get more comfortable with the programs.

shine

The funny thing is, for most skaters a bronze at a GP is a respectable result. We're just used to Nathan dominating. I said this in the pbp threads, but I'm honestly glad he lost early in the season. Even he said it was inevitable. If it hadn't happened now it was going to be this thing constantly hanging over his head. I hope now he can relax hoping that people have more realistic expectations of the fact that he is human and will make errors.

I think his LP is brilliant and if he skates it full out it will be incredible. I'm less convinced on the SP, but we shall see. Nathan has seemed resistant to changing programs in the past. We know he was never fully comfortable with his SP last season, but he stuck with it. Anyway, hope he has time to decompress for a day or so and then get ready for next weekend.
It’s really a brilliant program. The leaked version from champs camp looked so good, especially the lacrimosa stsq. I need him to skate it like that with all the jumps 😩

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
It’s really a brilliant program. The leaked version from champs camp looked so good, especially the lacrimosa stsq. I need him to skate it like that with all the jumps 😩
He needs to skate that middle section like he’s Mozart being haunted by rumors from Salieri, and then skate the final section like he’s Mozart’s ghost taking his revenge 😈👻

puppylover

Oh and get rid of the mom.
You can't walk around telling everyone and yourself that it's ok and not the end of the world if you don't win the Olympics and that you're trying to enjoy the experience instead of being focused on the outcome, but then have your mom be there all the time co-coaching and "overseeing" everything.
Guess what that's telling your subconscious...

shine

What's wrong with being supported by his mom ?? You can be close with your mom and still not think it's the end of the world to loose. I don't see the link between the two tbh.
There were reports that Nathan’s mom was at rinkside actively giving him instructions to practice specific jumps while Raf was present. I think some are worried that this might turn into a repeat of the 2017/2018 season where his family/mom was apparently interfering with training and overriding Raf’s strategy on jump layout for his programs in Pyeongchang, which many believed played a role in his downfall. IIRC Nathan’s mom was interviewed after the Olympics and said something like she would take the backseat from now on and be in more of a support role than directly instructing him. So the fact she was reportedly seen doing this again seems a bit alarming to some fans. We don’t actually know what’s going on though so some of us might be reacting prematurely.

Last edited:

Emma5555

There were reports that Nathan’s mom was at rinkside actively giving him instructions to practice specific jumps while Raf was present. I think some are worried that this might turn into a repeat of the 2017/2018 season where his family/mom was apparently interfering with training and overriding Raf’s strategy on jump layout for his programs in Pyeongchang, which many believed played a role in his downfall. IIRC Nathan’s mom was interviewed after the Olympics and said something like she would take the backseat from now on and be in more of a support role than directly instructing him. So the fact she was reportedly seen doing this again seems a bit alarming to some fans. We don’t actually know what’s going on though so some of us might be reacting prematurely.
I hope this is not the case.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
i honestly don't remember the last time i saw nathan fall in competition. such a shame cause i like this short program. i hope pulls through with the free skate!!

I hope not but who knows. At this point, I just hope that by the GPF there is a change.

If he even makes the GPF. 😞 I too wish that Nathan would have done one or two earlier events to get his feet under him, as well as feedback on his SP. I am proud of him though for fighting back to win a bronze medal! ❤

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Interesting - the post seems to be unavailable, but I think that's because I don't have a Weibo account.

I can still see it. Maybe Weibo doesn't work for you. The text says:"(Nathan) probably jumped about 20 quads in today's practice. After the 6-quad runthru his mom said to him 'Do another lutz over there' 'Do another sal'".

(今天练习可能得跳了20来个四周,六个四的runthru之后他妈妈还跟他说“到那边再跳一个lutz””再来一个sal”)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information