Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

D

Deleted member 80234

In that Yale alum interview, iirc, Nathan said something like the hardest thing about skating is retirement one day. He loves skating much more than anyone thinks he does.

He never firmly said anything about retirement. He only said he would be back to school, might take a break, and reevaluate his passion after Beijing.

It is true finishing college would be his priority after Beijing. But to me, Nathan is never sure when to retire himself. In that same interview, he mentioned he was considering leaving skating after Nationals 2016, but apparently he changed his mind
The part where you said, “He loves skating far more than everyone thinks he does,” really resonates with me. I’m thinking, of course he likes it. He’s been doing it at a very high level for many years in a country that doesn’t have a lot of guys wanting to do it. Going back to his interview that had been described as homophobic, what underlies that is that there is a lot of casual bias among a general male audience. And I think Nathan would be several steps above that cultural baseline of bias in the US just by choosing to skate. He’s just too self-critical- he took ballet, he likes to skate to classical music. Clearly he likes those things or he wouldn’t have spent time on them. I like what he’s said about self expression and how he clarified his thoughts after that interview- basically to say that it’s not necessary to approach skating from the perspective of a general male audience bias - and that in fact, approaching something from a view of appeasing someone else’s bias is just likely to mute the effect of a performance like a censored book. People may or may not like the uncensored book but the censored one is less interesting.

A.H.Black

The only time Nathan skated in the Classic was 2017-18 season. At that time the Classic was in Salt Lake City - Nathan's home town. It was a year to prove himself. He doesn't have to do that anymore.

shine

But I had assumed that he didn’t participate in the last few years mostly due to school, and now that he took a year off he would take advantage of this opportunity. Hope he’s not injured or anything.

Emma5555

But I had assumed that he didn’t participate in the last few years mostly due to school, and now that he took a year off he would take advantage of this opportunity. Hope he’s not injured or anything.
It could be that he just doesn’t want to overdo it in an Olympic year…and is pacing himself? What about the Japan Open? I have heard very little about it.

Sylvia

TBD
What about the Japan Open? I have heard very little about it.
The Japan Open invitational currently is scheduled for October 2, 2021 in Saitama (competition announcement not yet available on the ISU's event page): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...japan-open-2021-invitational?templateParam=11

We'll have to wait and see if foreign skaters will be allowed into the country to compete this year (it was a domestic event last year with only Japanese skaters; ETA that I forgot Nathan participated virtually last year).

Last edited:

lurkz2

Same here, thought he would show, but maybe he's just avoiding the plane ride. Seems like most if not all of the US men competing are based in Boston.

sheetz

Same here, thought he would show, but maybe he's just avoiding the plane ride. Seems like most if not all of the US men competing are based in Boston.
Sjoberg is Team Raf and Tran is with Eldredge, i.e., both train at his rink.

I also thought there was a good chance he'd go. Hopefully we learn something from Champs Camp.

fairytales

I assumed he wanted to keep to his strategy of less is more since it seemed to work quite well for him the past seasons and he was so tired out at the last Olympics. One less competitions seems to be one less opportunity to get injured too.
But then your arguments also make a lot of sense and now I'm worried that he is injured in some way...

sheetz

A couple of blasts from the past:

I think this was taken backstage at 2016 Worlds and he is seen walking alongside Roman Sadovsky and Vincent. PChiddy and Shoma appear in the background.

Back when he visited the Ice House in Hackensack.

AxelLover

I think this was taken backstage at 2016 Worlds and he is seen walking alongside Roman Sadovsky and Vincent. PChiddy and Shoma appear in the background.
Wait, Nathan was present at 2016 Worlds? I didn't know that. It was just a couple of months after the hip injury right?

Alexa

A couple of blasts from the past:

Back when he visited the Ice House in Hackensack.
I believe the video was from 2015 GPF. Nathan, Roman, Dima, Vincent were always spotted together. The lanyards also looked like from that event.

Nathan mainly was with Jimmy Ma, Alex K., Polina and other US skaters at Boston worlds.

When was the 2nd picture in that Ice House picture?

Last edited:

sheetz

I believe the video was from 2015 GPF. Nathan, Romain, Dima, Vincent were always spotted together. The lanyards also looked like from that event.

Nathan mainly was with Jimmy Ma, Alex K., Polina and other US skaters at Boston worlds.

When was the 2nd picture in that Ice House picture?
Oh, you're right! It must have been from GPF because Roman was there.

I have no idea when the Ice House pic was taken but it must have been after he signed with Nike in 2017.

ETA: Here's one more blast from the past with Taiwanese skater Chih-I Tsao and Michael Christian Martinez back when they trained at Lake Arrowhead.

Last edited:

LutzDance

If you look closely at the 2nd Ice House pic you can see a Nathan Chen banner in the background, which was installed in late 2019. Since they were not wearing masks, I guess it has to be 2019 Thanksgiving or winter break.

Also, hi everyone :)

sheetz

Nathan being driven out onto the field and introduced to fans.
Practice 4F

SaDa

Tempting fate or conquering it?
He'll conquer it. That's Nathan for you. So daring.
I fully believe in him and I'm really excited to see how he incorporated Nemesis into this new program. Doesn't hurt at all that it was such a great program. I still love it so much after all these years.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Thank you sheetz for all of the links!

Thank goodness Nathan is ok! The speculations going about on whether he might be injured or not were scaring me! Wooh! 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information