Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

meer

Hello! I was just thinking it would be so cool if Nathan's free skate jump layout at the Olympics was the following:

4Lo
4Lz
4F+3T
4S
4T+1Eu+3F
4T+3T
3A

That would be epic!
This isn't as terrifying as him planning a 4lz, 3A, 4F3T SP which legit gives me nightmares. :scream: I think he's building up to a 4lo despite him acting like he can barely land it. He's landed it when he's tried reasonably well, better than most people's good quads. His 4lo from that Tara and Johnny event was quite good. His stamina also looks like he has room for another quad as well. Plus it would be funny if he landed 6 again after they changed the rules to stop him from doing it.

AxelLover

This isn't as terrifying as him planning a 4lz, 3A, 4F3T SP which legit gives me nightmares. :scream: I think he's building up to a 4lo despite him acting like he can barely land it. He's landed it when he's tried reasonably well, better than most people's good quads. His 4lo from that Tara and Johnny event was quite good. His stamina also looks like he has room for another quad as well. Plus it would be funny if he landed 6 again after they changed the rules to stop him from doing it.
Exactly. I'd be happy if he used a safe layout for the SP (i.e. 4F, 4T+3T and 3A) and then went full out in the free with 6 quads.

VGThuy

I think for an athlete like Nathan, it's important to normalize the Olympics as much as possible and try to get his head into the idea that it's not unlike any other competition. Therefore, I think he should keep doing what he's been doing and do whatever he feels comfortable competing by February. Just trust in his training and what he and Raf think is the best for him. I will be giving no advice whatsoever and just hoping for the best, :lol:.

puppylover

Please no 6 quad layout. That's too many difficult jumping passes, plus 3A is not a comfortable jump for him either. His 4Ts in the second half are already not as nice as he's capable of executing them when he's not already tired out.

And both 4Lz and 4Lo, plus 4F as well... all in one program... that's so many different types of jumps. I can see repeating one that he's already warmed up, bad adding yet another variety of jump with 4Lo, which is so different from the other ones, doesn't seem like a good idea.

I always assumed he kept training 4Lo in case 4Lz is not cooperating during competition week or in case he should struggle with an injury (he seems to have had a recurring injury with his left ankle, possibly caused by 4Lz?).

sheetz

It seems obvious to me that a 6 quad layout is planned. There is no good reason to change the layout from the one at GPF '19 to the current one except as preparation for a future 6 quad program. The BV difference between the two layouts is negligible but the current layout is much more difficult to execute.

In interviews Raf has always talked about leaving something in the back pocket that can be pulled out when needed. I can't think of anything else he could be referring to.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Quad-quad combo? I could potentially see Nathan doing a 4F-4T.
I think that there's an opportunity that Nathan did not use in both Rocketman as well as last year's program. He does a triple Lutz triple toe toward the end of the program. I often wondered if he was going to convert those to a quad Lutz triple toe. The other option as discussed above would be the quad loop.

sheetz

Not really worth it in the FS. Not allowed in the SP. But I suppose it's possible that Raf may be ready to petition for its allowance if the need arose.
I think that there's an opportunity that Nathan did not use in both Rocketman as well as last year's program. He does a triple Lutz triple toe toward the end of the program. I often wondered if he was going to convert those to a quad Lutz triple toe. The other option as discussed above would be the quad loop.
Can't repeat more than one quad according to zayak rules. He would have to change the 3Lz to 4Lo.

skfan

Way late but G&G skated to Verdi Requiem, IIRC? Not Mozart Requiem. If any music is unlucky it is Grieg piano concerto. G&G were preparing that program when Sergei died.

Miki Ando skated to Mozart Requiem and far as I know she is doing well.

lurkz2

Way late but G&G skated to Verdi Requiem, IIRC? Not Mozart Requiem. If any music is unlucky it is Grieg piano concerto. G&G were preparing that program when Sergei died.

Miki Ando skated to Mozart Requiem and far as I know she is doing well.
Good point but I was hoping for a program with an uplifting name like Rocketman not Lachrymosa/Requiem which sounds doubly gloomy

olympic

Hello! I was just thinking it would be so cool if Nathan's free skate jump layout at the Olympics was the following:

4Lo
4Lz
4F+3T
4S
4T+1Eu+3F
4T+3T
3A

That would be epic!
I often thought that the 3Z in his 2021 Worlds LP could become a 4L in an Olympic year, but after reading the comments here, he should do what makes him most comfortable and he can win w/o 6 quads. He has the specter of Pyeongchang hanging over his head, so why bite off more than you can chew.

I find Chen and MK to be similar in their ways / strategy. They aren't easily exasperated and follow their inner voice which works out well 99% of the time, but based on Nathan's experience in 2018, I hope they are not similar in their Olympic strategy. Something internal seemed to hold MK back just enough for her to miss the top spot x2.

Although, yes, a 6 quad Olympic program from Nathan would be epic

A.H.Black

I have always thought a quad-quad combo would be the more natural move for Nathan. It's certainly in his wheelhouse. Even if he didn't do it in the program, if he showed it in practice it would be headlines somewhere.

sheetz

SaDa

If Nathan lands the 4A before Yuzu, that would start WW III!
Speaking of that, was anyone else a bit bothered by Yuzuru's announcement that he wanted to be the first to do a 4A and the fact that he made such a big deal out of it? I almost feel like there was tactic behind him doing that. Because of what Yuzuru did, even if Nathan were to land the 4A in practice, I doubt he would put it into competition simply because I think he'd feel too guilty. Also, yes, no thanks to Yuzuru, certain people already think it's his right, so, indeed, it'd start a world war if Nathan(or any other skater, really) puts it into competition and lands it first. But, I kind of suspect that just maybe all those reasons are why Yuzuru did what he did. Honestly, the 4A isn't anyone's right. Everyone should be allowed to go for it if they want(not that I think Nathan really even cares). Point is, it's one thing to make it your goal but completely something else to make an announcement about it and to make a big deal out of it just to try to prevent other skaters from going for it too. I don't want to think badly of any skater but I was a bit puzzled why Yuzuru made such a big fuss about it in front of the press. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I really hope I'm wrong about his intentions. Even if it wasn't intentional, what he did was rather thoughtless towards all the other skaters.

Anyway, I'm new around here, by the way. Someone recommended this place to me and I'm looking forward to mingling with other Nathan Chen fans. He's my favorite skater, ever!

Sylvia

TBD
Speaking of that, was anyone else a bit bothered by Yuzuru's announcement that he wanted to be the first to do a 4A and the fact that he made such a big deal out of it?
I wasn't.
Anyway, I'm new around here, by the way. Someone recommended this place to me and I'm looking forward to mingling with other Nathan Chen fans. He's my favorite skater, ever!
Welcome! :)

Last edited:

SaDa

Nathan’s a really nice guy but I doubt that even he would feel guilty about landing a 4A before Yuzu.
...Nathan doesn't seem to me as someone who would want to come across as being a jerk or as having "stolen" something from someone, TBH. He's just super polite to everyone, from what I've seen. But, hey, maybe I'm just reading too much into it because I'm seeing too many fans comment "oh, Nathan's so nice for letting Yuzuru be the first to do it because he knows how much it means to Yuzuru." But, yeah, this isn't really about Nathan...as I think this awkward situation would apply to any skater who's considering trying the 4A.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It doesn't matter who's first really. There were high hopes that either Brian would land the quad toe, and Joseph almost got it, but Kurt surprised everyone by officially landing it. I think we'll see a lot of 4A attempts before one becomes official.

skateboy

Speaking of that, was anyone else a bit bothered by Yuzuru's announcement that he wanted to be the first to do a 4A and the fact that he made such a big deal out of it? I almost feel like there was tactic behind him doing that.

Welcome to FSU! Hope you post often.

Yuzu seems like a nice enough guy, but I've felt that he can act a bit cocky and entitled from time to time. (And here come the Fanyus after me in 3, 2, 1... ;) ) But I do think that Nathan's success over the past few years has humbled him a little bit.

I would be surprised if Nathan went for the 4A, mainly because the 3A has been problematic for him in the past (although he appears to have gotten it under control over this past year).

Keegan Messing was practicing it for a while and looked pretty close to landing it in practice. Artur Dmitriev Jr tried it in competition but it wasn't all that close. I don't doubt that Yuzu wants to be the first to land it, but time will tell. We've seen some unsuccessful attempts in practice. It's a big risk, especially if it ends up putting the timing of other jumps in jeopardy.

SaDa

I would be very surprised if Nathan was doing the 4a seriously at all. He doesn't need it.
No, he doesn't need it, and I don't think he cares about the jump itself. I mean, base value is so tiny and just not really worth getting injured over. I'm sure he's more interested in a gold medal. My initial post was more about the awkward situation surrounding the whole idea of anyone(other than Yuzuru) going for the 4A, not Nathan necessarily.

It doesn't matter who's first really.
You really don't think it matters to Yuzuru and his fans though? ^^;

SaDa

Welcome to FSU! Hope you post often.
Thank you! I appreciate the welcome.

(And here come the Fanyus after me in 3, 2, 1... ;) )
No worries. The pooh bears they fling in your direction won't be all that painful :)

Thanks!

It can be all that matters to the Fanyus but the rest of the skating world won't give a whit who lands it first.
True. One could certainly simply look at it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information