Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

sheetz

Review of Nathan's books from Phil Hersh

Nathan has a book signing scheduled for Feb 25 in Connecticut.

sk9tingfan

Over my friend's winter break, we're going down to eat at Nathan's favorite restaurant, September in Bangkok!

sheetz

Team USA skaters recalled their favorite memories from the Olympics
Nathan
Nathan Chen: Spending time with my U.S. Figure Skating teammates. We shared many once-in-a-lifetime experiences, and I will hold those moments close for the rest of my life.

Evan
Evan Bates: The vibe in our room was great with all the roommates. Because normally Madi [Chock] and I will stay together when we're at a competition. At the Olympics, we stayed separately and we had roommates. I was roommates with Nathan [Chen] and Brandon [Frazier] and Jean-Luc [Baker] and the four of us just had so much fun together off the ice. Jean-Luc even brought a mini basketball hoop and we hung it up on the wall. Having three weeks together to go through such an incredible experience together really bonded us. I cherish all those times hanging out in the room with my friends.

Japan's Team Koko pose with "Nathan" during their time at 4CC

sheetz

Nathan was a guest speaker at the Lex Summit Conference held in SLC yesterday

More photos from Nathan's children's book along with a short review.
This book is the kind of book that in the same moment feels like both a rock and balm of childhood. Yes, it's a book written by the amazingly talented Olympic gold medalist @nathanwchen, about a kid who was very much like him. But, it's more than that story. This book is made of the stuff that transcends the actual story itself - which is the tell tale of a really great book.

While this story is very much a story about a kid who LOVES figure skating, this story is in essence also very much about those many, many moments in every kid's life where they meet disappointment in the thing they love, where they meet failure despite trying really hard, and where they also meet grace and a gentle nudge towards joy in those bottom of the pit feelings.

Wei is a kid who falls in love with ice skating and is anticipating his first competition. His whole family comes to watch him practice, and he embarrassingly falls in front of them all. The heart of the story is the conversation he has with his mom as she reminds him to forget about winning, and to instead, do what brings him joy. It's such a relatable story for any kid who is learning how to sit with and overcome those hard to have feelings of anxiety, anticipation, and failure, and how to move forward and find happiness in the journey. Beautiful story, and bright, tender illustrations.

For all the kids who are too familiar with those falling on the ice feelings and for all the kids whose journeys are a little easier because they see themselves in Nathan Chen's life journey, may this book be a reminder to keep the joy of loving what you do in your heart.

skatfan

I was able to check out a digital copy of Nathan’s book from the library. Definitely an above average sports hero book! I had no idea how involved his mom was as a coach/coordinator, and his descriptions of his competitions are so interesting. What an amazing family the Chens are.

sheetz

Nathan's niece enjoying her advance copy of his book.

New BTS video from Nathan and Panasonic

sheetz

Congratulations to Nathan for being nominated for a prestigious Laureus Award! Kind of strange that he was nominated in the "Breakthrough of the Year" category, but that's figure skating for you.
Won the Winter Olympics gold medal, ending the reign of Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu, the 2014 and 2018 champion. The 23-year-old American is regarded as one of the best skaters of all time, with the highest winning percentage in competitions in the modern era. He had the longest winning streak in history from 2018 to 2021. A three-time world champion, he is known as the ‘Quad King’ for his mastery of quadruple jumps and is noted for the athletic ability he builds into his programmes.

Wei Skates On comes out tomorrw! Illustrator Lorraine Nam shares some of her thoughts.

sheetz

Nathan showing off his children's book

Nathan's reaction to his Laureus Award nomination

Walking on the Yale campus with Camden. Jean Luc is the photographer.

Preview of Nathan's walking workout on Apple Fitness+

Photo with short track speed skater Arianna Fontana at the Olympics

sheetz

Nathan reads from his new book.

In addition to his 2 book signings on Saturday in CT and NJ, he'll appear virtually on Sunday. Registration required.

sheetz

Not surprisingly, Nathan is scheduled to appear in The Ice

The Japanese translation of One Jump at a Time is scheduled to be released Mar 29 with a different cover photo.

Last edited:

sheetz

Nathan tells us his favorite ice cream to go with his new book.

Nathan's next scheduled show appearance is at Boston Ice Chips April 7-8

sheetz

Nathan giving an interview on Connecticut TV station during their 6pm broadcast today.
You may be able to watch it here

Official IG account for The Ice. First post has their show's men's headliners.

sheetz

Nathan's TV interview from yesterday

Nathan will appear at the Darien, CT library on March 9 to promote his new book.

sheetz

Sylvia

TBD
Awwwww :): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cpn999EpWtt/

The Quad King is also the most down to earth Junior at Yale University.

Olympic Gold figure skater Nathan Chen came to Darien yesterday [March 9] and read his new children’s book Wei Skates On to a crowd of excited kids and their parents. I read his autobiography One Jump at a Time and was in awe of his dedication and talent.

But what made me enamored with him was his how naturally he embraced his heritage, family and identity. When little kids in the audience asked him about his favorite food and inspiration, he talked about his mom’s amazing cooking skills especially with Chinese food and named dumplings in Mandarin first instead of simply calling them dumplings in English. He talked about how Michelle Kwan and others who looked like him made him believe that he too can dream of the Olympics and how he wrote the book because it would have helped him so much to read such a book that reflected a kid that looked like him when he was starting out.

Nathan Chen not only represents but makes Asian Americans believe in ourselves. My boys’ eyes were sparkling when he autographed their book. What an honor to meet Nathan Chen.

#inspiration #nathanchen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information