Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

orbitz

The performance was fine, but was his costume designed by The GAP :p ? The outfit looks better in still pictures where I can see some added details. But on the computer screen, it looks like Nathan was simply wearing a short black jean jacket over a white T. Don't be afraid of some color or even..gulp...sequins, Nathan !

Allskate

I love Nathan's less is more look. (y) I really don't want to see him in ruffles, feathers, baubles, buttons and sequins. He transcends all of that. :drama:

I'm not looking for ruffles, baubles, feathers, and sequins. I'm fine with black pants and jacket. I just didn't like the style/fit of these particular pants and jacket. To me, it was distracting and not flattering.

aml78

Nathan always pieces together costumes until later in the season. And given there may be no season, why bother.

Bellanca

I Really like the blue shirt.
(y)
❤️ Nathan's blue shirt - a gorgeous shade of blue! Congrats again, Nathan!:cheer2:🇺🇲
Yes, the blue shirt 👕 has been a hit! Blue has a prominent place in figure skating history, e.g., the blue Olympic dress for (some) ladies.

Also, I think Nathan is considering comfort when he picks an outfit to compete - can't blame him there.

Sylvia

TBD
Nick McCarvel chatted with Nathan after his win: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGvtp_gJGNV/
Article based on his IG Live chat:

From the end:

OC: What would you like for your message to fans to be as we wrap up? What would you like for them to know?

Chen: I mean, just my heart goes out to everyone that has been struggling through this time. And I hope that through whatever that may be, we are all able to find some positivity and some motivation to continue trudging forward. And I give extreme respect and credit to everyone that has been doing everything they can for social justice. They have been standing up for what they believe in, standing up for who they are.

I hope that, you know, through all of this, we are able to see some change. And, as skating goes, thank you guys for supporting skating, supporting all the athletes. We put a lot of time and effort into this sport. And it really feels great to be able to feel respected and to recognize that this is not all for nothing… we (skaters) all share that sentiment.

Sylvia

TBD
3.5-minute Nathan feature (interview & clips): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHqznqKgfwo/ (also posted on USFS' Twitter account: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1328468664056647681)

Clip of his quad loop in the Las Vegas Invitational team event that was broadcast on NBC yesterday: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1328108308805406720

ETA his quote in the NBC Olympic Talk recap article:
Chen also landed a quad loop, including it in his program for the first time since the 2017 Japan Open.

“I was a little stressed about that, but I saw Alex [Krasnozhon] pull it off, so I figured I have to do it myself,” Chen said.

Last edited:

olympic

Watching Nathan's jump layout in the LP at the most recent event, is it possible he could go for 4L, 4F+3T, 4Z, 4S, 4T+eul+3F, 4T+3T, 3A by Worlds (if they happen)? It's hard to tell with Nathan because he plays with jump line-ups and I don't know if he is going for something big or just randomly subbing other jumps into the program

lurkz2

Watching Nathan's jump layout in the LP at the most recent event, is it possible he could go for 4L, 4F+3T, 4Z, 4S, 4T+eul+3F, 4T+3T, 3A by Worlds (if they happen)? It's hard to tell with Nathan because he plays with jump line-ups and I don't know if he is going for something big or just randomly subbing other jumps into the program
I think that's what he's aiming for but, with Nathan, it'll depend on how practice goes; he has lately gone for the layout he can deliver clean.

A.H.Black

Personally, I think Nathan has only so many 4loops in him. I think when he had that hip injury the loop was the last to come back. Only time will tell how often he does it. I bet that jump layout is something he would like to have for the Olympics.

olympic

Personally, I think Nathan has only so many 4loops in him. I think when he had that hip injury the loop was the last to come back. Only time will tell how often he does it. I bet that jump layout is something he would like to have for the Olympics.
I would love to see this jump layout either at a Worlds or an Olympics and he is smart to ‘keep the powder dry’ on the 4L so to speak

DreamSkates

The performance was fine, but was his costume designed by The GAP :p ? The outfit looks better in still pictures where I can see some added details. But on the computer screen, it looks like Nathan was simply wearing a short black jean jacket over a white T. Don't be afraid of some color or even..gulp...sequins, Nathan !
He doesn't seem like the sequin type but there are ways to add color or accessories that aren't flashy but accent the design. Maybe it's a work in process.

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan officially was invited to joined Team Toyota back in November 2019 (only noticed today that his major sponsorship news was never posted in this thread): https://www.instagram.com/p/B5JAAhenx2j/

Published on February 28, 2020:

Compilation of highlights (uploaded by USFS on Nov. 17, 2020):

acraven

Fan Zone article about Nathan: Nathan Chen Maps Out Thoughts on His Future Both On and Off the Ice - U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone

From the article: "I think it will be highly determined by how I feel after '22," Chen said on the topic of retirement. "Do I still have the drive? I feel like if I don't have the drive anymore, then there's no point. It'll really depend. As of now, definitely the plan is to go back to school, and even then, probably take one or two years off skating for sure, and then reevaluate."

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
We say that about horses too....they only have so many jumps in them. Of course they don't do a loop🤗

Sylvia

TBD
I want to go to Nationals - wah.
I hear ya. BTW, I don't think I ever shared my fan cam video clips of Nathan from 2020 Greensboro in this thread? FS finale then 2 SP clips: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1224802911202566146

Stars on Ice has uploaded their "Home for the Holidays" Dec. 5th Online Chat on their YT channel - here's the final section with Nathan, host Charlie White, Meryl Davis & Kurt Browning (who had never interacted at length with Nathan before):

Sylvia

TBD
Dec. 14th article based mainly on USFS' Fan Zone article (linked in post #232): https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/12/14/nathan-chen-figure-skating-olympics/
He skated the previous two seasons while taking classes at Yale. Chen, a statistics and data science major, planned to stay in New Haven for this academic year, but the pandemic changed that.
Instead, he’s been at his California training base on a leave of absence, auditing classes at local universities, he said before winning a fourth straight Skate America title in October.
Yale usually only allows two semesters of leave without having to reapply, but added another year due to the p*ndemic, Chen said. That allows him to focus on skating from now through the Beijing Winter Games.
(Since "Yalie" used to be in this thread title... ;))

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information