Music I wish someone would skate to: 2020 Edition :)

ebayj

Feel free to add on. I have wondered for years why no one has ever used this stunning opening from HBO's Angels In America for a short program. Enjoy!

Runner up: Theory Of Everything, but this may have been used at some point since the film came out. It would require judicious editing to create a long program though.

The challenge with both pieces is there are no stereotypical "Carmen" type highs or lows or big boom points in the music. Either music setting would require a skater with the ability to really command the audience and seamlessly integrate all the elements in the music context.

Bonus Fun Fact: William Aylwin's magnificent Lyra Angelica (Kwan LP 1997-1998) is in its entirety a 30 minute long concerto - most of Michelle's legendary program music edit came from the early and latter sections of the concerto.

mjb52

I want a dance team to skate to don't think twice it's alright but I'm still a little confused about how copyright works in the ice skating context. I thought it wasn't an issue but it seems from all the covers we see that maybe it is. There's some great covers of that song though. Also not sure where we stand with the "rhythm/beat" issue at this point. If a dance team can skate to Shallow it seems like it should be fine but who knows?

Sylvia

TBD
Theme music to Jaws.
William Annis (who made his JGP debut this past fall) won the 2019 U.S. Novice Men's title skating to the Jaws soundtrack. :)

Here's the link to the 2019 thread:

Last edited:

eusebius

What are we talking about? Didn't Daniil G say that all the music had already been used? :rolleyes:

Giant Steps by John Coltrane! (It's 4:49 so you'd barely have to cut it!)
Downton Abbey soundtrack (imagine the costume possibilities)
Schubert. ANY Schubert. The only Schubert I've ever heard in skating is the second movement of the E flat major trio. Which is awesome but he wrote over 900 other things!!

mjb52

Someone should skate to some Albert Ayler. :) If M & D could skate to Yma Sumac, I have faith that someone out there could pull this off.

avivadawn

Music from ā€œThe Limpid Streamā€ by Shostakovich. There are parts that I could imagine Alysa Liu skating to. Others, would be fun for a dance couple .

Iā€™ve lately imagined Mariah Bell skating to ā€œInspiring Pianoā€ (Ignatov) for some reason. Itā€™s very much in the vein of her 2018-19 FP, so I doubt that it would ever be used.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm sort of going to do a reverse/inside-out one.

You are allowed to skate to Queen. However, you are not allowed to skate to:
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Somebody to Love
  • Love of My Life (with a bonus deduction if you treat it like a happy love song which it is not)
  • Don't Stop Me Now
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Love
  • Under Pressure
  • We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions
  • Who Wants To Live Forever?

Minus ten points if you use a shitty cover, too.

canadianskater

I'm sort of going to do a reverse/inside-out one.

You are allowed to skate to Queen. However, you are not allowed to skate to:
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Somebody to Love
  • Love of My Life (with a bonus deduction if you treat it like a happy love song which it is not)
  • Don't Stop Me Now
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Love
  • Under Pressure
  • We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions
  • Who Wants To Live Forever?

Minus ten points if you use a shitty cover, too.

I've always wanted to see a dance team to skate to Millionaire Waltz by Queen

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I was looking forward to hopefully seeing some Cats programmes but now the movie has bombed I doubt it will happen. (Out of interest, did anyone ever skate to the original show album of Cats?!)

RoseRed

I was looking forward to hopefully seeing some Cats programmes but now the movie has bombed I doubt it will happen. (Out of interest, did anyone ever skate to the original show album of Cats?!)
Skating loves music from movies that critics hated. For example, W.E. has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 12%, Burlesque has a 36% rating. Cats' is 20% right now.

So who knows if people will use it next season?

Gris

äøåšå„“ę‰åšå…¬ę°‘
(Out of interest, did anyone ever skate to the original show album of Cats?!)

So quite a few and the list is probably not complete.

Skating loves music from movies that critics hated.

And Bonnie & Clyde was quite a failure as a musical but is well loved by dance teams this season.

georgiana08

I wish someone would to skate to The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. Specifically the track Song for Jesse.

And I'm racking my brain, but has anyone ever skated to the score from Edward Scissorhands? I've always loved it and there's literally a piece titled Ice Dance. It feels so obvious.

Jay42

Between the click of the light

TwizzlerS

I believe Brian Orser's short program from 1984 was to Cats.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member

So quite a few and the list is probably not complete.
Thank you! How have I forgotten some of them?! :eek: Iā€™ll try and find some on YouTube later :40beers:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
And I'm racking my brain, but has anyone ever skated to the score from Edward Scissorhands? I've always loved it and there's literally a piece titled Ice Dance. It feels so obvious.
I remember a British skater skating to it 10-15 years ago, I think it was Thomas Paulson, but I doubt there are videos. He was a lovely skater.

starrynight

Some music I don't understand why more skaters don't use is the orchestral music in the Lion King Soundtrack.

It's probably one of the best movie soundtracks ever done. Maybe it doesn't get chosen because 'Lion King' doesn't sound glamorous. Even though the orchestral music is very dramatic and sophisticated and I think particularly well suited to skating.

Denny/Frazier did a good program to it this season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yysNqah3bA

pat c

I've also wanted someone to do Sleepwalk by Santo & Johnny too.

Valerie Marcous & Bruno Marcotte used this as the sp for the 1998 olys. I think it was S&J's version, might have been Brian Setzer's. But I've often wished someone else would use this music for pairs. It worked very well.

One of my wishes is that someone would skate to the Stormrider film soundtrack by Chan Kwong-wing. It's made for skating. But it's hard to find.

suki

For years I've been wanting someone to skate to the Golden Slumbers Suite by The Beatles. They'd have to edit it a bit for time, but I love it so much.
I've also wanted someone to do Sleepwalk by Santo & Johnny too.
For something more classical, Acceleration Waltz by Strauss
And for an exhibition, Do You Love Me by The Contours for a dance team (even better if they carry a watermelon)
The American ice dance team of Kimberly Navarro and Brent Bommentre skated their long program to this in the 2006-2007 season (Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, and The End). It used to be available on Youtube, but was removed (copyright issues?). It was a really a well choreographed and skated long program. One of the all-time favorites of this rabid Beatles fan:) I would also like to see an ice dance team skate to "Something."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information