Montreal Wins Skate Canada's Bid for 2020 Worlds

Sylvia

TBD
Press release: https://skatecanada.ca/2016/06/skat...-isu-world-figure-skating-championships-2020/
Skate Canada will formally submit a bid in April of 2017 to host the ISU World Figure Skating Championships ® 2020. The International Skating Union (ISU) has confirmed the receipt of Skate Canada’s intent to bid ... <snip>
Skate Canada is requesting host city proposals for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020. Skate Canada is focused on acquiring a city host with strong partners across all aspects of the event that will work with Skate Canada to deliver an outstanding championships and inspire Canadians to embrace the joy of skating. Potential candidate cities can find the official RFP information here. A Canadian host city bid will be selected in March 2017.

honey

Interesting that they are only looking for a venue with 7000-10,000 seats.

algonquin

That would be good. Somewhere with a proper supply of hotel rooms and a proper international airport would be nice too.
Montreal is fine for hotels & airport. Not sure about the airport in Quebec City. I wonder if Mississauga will bid? It is close to Pearson International.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As much as I would like to see Worlds in Canada, I'm not sure this is a good idea given the fragile state of SC's finances (operational deficit two years in a row, laying off more than a dozen employees this past year). I imagine that hosting Worlds would generate some revenue for SC, but it is also a very expensive event to stage if it's going to be done well.

clairecloutier

somewhere in Quebec would be great, as I could potentially drive there!! But didn't someone say the Quebec arena seats 18000? Which would be too big if they're looking for 7000-10000 arena. (7000 seems too small--that would be just half the size of Boston.)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
somewhere in Quebec would be great, as I could potentially drive there!! But didn't someone say the Quebec arena seats 18000? Which would be too big if they're looking for 7000-10000 arena. (7000 seems too small--that would be just half the size of Boston.)

I think there are some mid-sized arenas near the Montreal and Quebec City urban areas that are that size. I believe that the Bell Centre in Montreal, and other arenas that size, can be booked with seating only in the lower bowl - although I don't think the facility costs are much lower for that configuration, as opposed to using all the seating.

lexeoe

This is what I'm thinking:

Vancouver (Pacific Coliseum)
Winnipeg (MTS Center)
Quebec City (Videotron Centre)

You think halifax will throw their hat?

quartz

scratching at the light
Of all the cities mentioned so far, what's the most expensive as far as hotel costs?

manhn

Of all the cities mentioned so far, what's the most expensive as far as hotel costs?

Vancouver may be the most expensive, but given its size, you can finder cheaper accommodation. Also, things like airbnb is already pretty common, I'm sure it'll be even more common in a few years. I found Quebec City pretty expensive.

quartz

scratching at the light
Vancouver may be the most expensive, but given its size, you can finder cheaper accommodation. Also, things like airbnb is already pretty common, I'm sure it'll be even more common in a few years. I found Quebec City pretty expensive.
I'm thinking just in terms of cities I would like to visit, Quebec City and Montreal would be on the top of my wish list.

honey

This is what I'm thinking:

Vancouver (Pacific Coliseum)
Winnipeg (MTS Center)
Quebec City (Videotron Centre)

You think halifax will throw their hat?

The capacity of those three arenas is far beyond the stated 7,000-10,000 in the RFP. Halifax would fit the bill though...I would actually love Halifax. Several hotels connected to the rink, restaurants galore nearby, have hosted worlds before (would be exactly 30 years since the last time).

I'd also love Quebec City just for how beautiful it is there :cheer2:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Quebec City is pretty easy to access from Montreal by train.

If they're looking for a smallish arena, Victoria would be great, too. There's a bus from Vancouver and Yvr that goes to the ferry and then another bus meets you at the ferry to go downtown. Takes forever, but it's a nice evening trip:
http://bcfconnector.com/#

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Quebec City is pretty easy to access from Montreal by train.

If they're looking for a smallish arena, Victoria would be great, too. There's a bus from Vancouver and Yvr that goes to the ferry and then another bus meets you at the ferry to go downtown. Takes forever, but it's a nice evening trip:
http://bcfconnector.com/#
Victoria also has an international airport with an excellent shuttle service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information