Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

honey

An announcement on decision for worlds coming today from the government, per this tweet from a reporter. The part about SC pushing back press calls last minute has me thinking cancelling.

concorde

I don't think the ISU's decision is relevant. Every person who planned to attend needs to decide for themselves what to do.
Agreed. Our airfare and hotel are nonrefundable so we are going regardless. If we stay home, we have the same issues as if we go so might as well go.

I ride public transportation every day to/from work. My kids' school were shut down yesterday. One of the peditricians at the next office over from ours has tested positive. So staying here is not safe either.

skategal

Bunny mama
I can’t see them cancelling out right. They seem to have decent protocols in place for athletes, coaches, and media.

I can see them blocking spectators.

Sabine-Yuna

Lorenzo Magri (Italian coach) has raised his concerns about the event going ahead with the ISU via Instagram.
Actually I don't quite understand his concerns. First: all Italian skaters are in Canada at the moment, so they have travelled already. Second: at this point Italians seem to be safer in Canada than at home. Canada has less cases and probably the better health care system. Does he think it would be better for them to go back to Italy or does he think they have higher risk to catch the virus at Worlds? To me these concerns are a little confusing.

sandra_persch

Actually I don't quite understand his concerns. First: all Italian skaters are in Canada at the moment, so they have travelled already. Second: at this point Italians seem to be safer in Canada than at home. Canada has less cases and probably the better health care system. Does he think it would be better for them to go back to Italy or does he think they have higher risk to catch the virus at Worlds? To me these concerns are a little confusing.

Sounds more like he wants Canada to be more careful than Italy was. Canada still is at point where they can stop the virus from impacting everything big time like it currently does in Italy.

SLIVER

No one loves skating more than I do and I would be gutted for Worlds to be cancelled but Canada and the ISU are utterly delusional to keep this event going. When you live in Italy or the rest of Europe you start to understand the gravity of the situation.
The same mistakes were made in Europe, ‘oh we only have 4 cases so carry on as normal’.
When you only have 4 cases you don’t carry on as normal, you take ALL the precautions to keep that number as low as possible.
Yes it’s a flu and yes 89% of people will only get it very mildly. Half a million people die of flu a year but the mortality rate is 0.1% for the flu not 2 to 4%, that’s a massive difference. The flu has been around for ages, there’s a vaccine for it and a much better understanding of it.
I am young and fit and don’t worry for me but for 20,000 people to congregate daily for a whole week in a relatively cold place with many being over the age of 60 is utterly unnecessary.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
The same mistakes were made in Europe, ‘oh we only have 4 cases so carry on as normal’.
When you only have 4 cases you don’t carry on as normal, you take ALL the precautions to keep that number as low as possible.

Yes exactly. Another issue is once the hospitals get packed the death rate will climb by a lot. As of today, Wuhan's (officially reported) death rate is about 4.9% while the rest of China is at about 2.4%.

And Wuhan managed to keep the death rate down by literally sacrificing people who were seriously ill with other diseases - there was a time when no hospital was available for dialysis, chemotherapy, emergency surgery etc.

Last edited:

binbinwinwin

We have less cases and we want to keep it at less cases. On a normal basis many hospitals are already operating at 100% capacity without a pandemic, having a bunch of international travellers sitting closely together means a lot of risk. They have travelled already but many others have not.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What if they don’t cancel it but just don’t allow an audience.…

But then you have to assume the skaters can arrive on flights in time. I was watching the gymnastics American cup this weekend and team Italy had a problem getting to Milwaukee.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
At this point, it's best they cancel the event, or postpone it to summer if Russia can host again (and willing to put up $ to do so.) Holding a closed event without spectators would be a financial disaster.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I’m watching American news now and they’re saying that the NBA and other sporting events are going to go ahead but with no fans and no audience.

Wondering if they will just do that for worlds

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
If they're going to postpone it, why not just keep it in Canada? Or will the Canadian stadiums all be booked up later?
When Worlds in Japan got cancelled after Fukushima, the only reason Worlds was still held that year was because Putin was able to bend the Russian Bureaucracy to his will, expediting visas, ensuring a proper venue, and also helping to finance the event.
I don't see Worlds being held this year unless a country is willing to do the same thing Putin was willing to do in 2011.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Yeah but what happened then was very specific to Japan, what’s happening now is specific to the whole world. No reason to go to Russia.

It’s not like there was a specific tragedy in Montreal Canada that it needs now to go to Russia.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
When Worlds in Japan got cancelled after Fukushima, the only reason Worlds was still held that year was because Putin was able to bend the Russian Bureaucracy to his will, expediting visas, ensuring a proper venue, and also helping to finance the event.
I don't see Worlds being held this year unless a country is willing to do the same thing Putin was willing to do in 2011.

Just think - Eteri’s princesses would get to sweep the podium on home turf. Hmm...

ostile17

I don't think the ISU's decision is relevant. Every person who planned to attend needs to decide for themselves what to do.

No, because they obviously aren't aware of the risks they are running and the risks at which they are putting the community they go back to when they return home!

This is serious, maybe you don't understand!

WHO just declared this a pandemic:

This! 'Nuf said!

Lana K

In mourning for Kaori's 2022-2023 season hair
Honestly, as someone who has lived in Montréal since 2013, I really hope they cancel it or hold the events without spectators. The city's hospitals are chronically understaffed, nurses are burnt out, and the wait times are some of the worst in Canada. We are not well-equipped to handle a pandemic. Letting this event occur feels pretty darn negligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information