Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheremary

There are cards for Montreal 2020 at the table where the GPF programs are, which is pretty much right when you enter the arena. They were spread out all over another table today too...

mattiecat13

True. But why not a staffed booth? There is one for 4CC. There wasn’t a booth at Skate Canada, either. I just think they are missing a lot of potential customers.

peibeck

Simply looking
True. But why not a staffed booth? There is one for 4CC. There wasn’t a booth at Skate Canada, either. I just think they are missing a lot of potential customers.

My guess would be resources? Skate Canada is already running this event which requires a LOT of staffing, they probably assume most of their Canadian fans get email alerts already. I'd think they'd be advertising it on the screens in the arena with their website. (Just my two cents.)

I've attended 3 Worlds in Canada (Vancouver, Calgary and London) and the attendance was good. I don't know that those were better advertised.

sharsk8s

All I can say is that Montreal is a good place to host worlds for ice dance as about half of the teams attending worlds train in Montreal (especially many of the top teams). The teams training at gadbois will be lucky that they have their rink and all their coaches nearby.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It looks like I'll be deserting you to take a bike tour of Italy. If I can manage to swing both, I'll do it but it's unlikely.

peibeck

Simply looking
For anyone at 4cc, is there an info sheet with the pricing of tickets? I'd like to know how much to set aside. The schedule would also be helpful.

No, but was just told tickets will not be on sale until May. The ISU is not doing their inspection of the sites until later April.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
No, but was just told tickets will not be on sale until May. The ISU is not doing their inspection of the sites until later April.
Dammit. I was looking forward to kvetching about arrangements for a full year.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders

I'm assuming there hasn't been an update on any of the Worlds 2020 information but I remain curious about what sites need to be inspected and why that inspection has been held off for so long.

peibeck

Simply looking
I'm assuming there hasn't been an update on any of the Worlds 2020 information but I remain curious about what sites need to be inspected and why that inspection has been held off for so long.

The main arena and practice arena undergo an inspection by the ISU. I'm not sure about the "official hotel." All I know is what the lady in Anaheim said, which is that the inspection would not happen until the major ISU events for this season have ended (meaning Worlds and, I assume, World Team Trophy) since she said they would be coming to do the inspections in late April.

My assumption is that they work with the venue to make sure the arenas fit the technical requirements needed to host the event and for figuring out where placement of the judges/kiss-n-cry/media, etc. will be configured into the arena.

Eons ago I worked in NYC at a company that booked Broadway tours. There were all sorts of technical riders which theaters had to meet to have a show booked there, and usually a week before the tour arrived, a back stage technician was at the theatre making sure all the specs matched (dressing space, sound equipment, lighting, etc.) to make sure there were no/few issues when the tour rolled in.

ChiquitaBanana

The main arena and practice arena undergo an inspection by the ISU. I'm not sure about the "official hotel." All I know is what the lady in Anaheim said, which is that the inspection would not happen until the major ISU events for this season have ended (meaning Worlds and, I assume, World Team Trophy) since she said they would be coming to do the inspections in late April.

My assumption is that they work with the venue to make sure the arenas fit the technical requirements needed to host the event and for figuring out where placement of the judges/kiss-n-cry/media, etc. will be configured into the arena.

Eons ago I worked in NYC at a company that booked Broadway tours. There were all sorts of technical riders which theaters had to meet to have a show booked there, and usually a week before the tour arrived, a back stage technician was at the theatre making sure all the specs matched (dressing space, sound equipment, lighting, etc.) to make sure there were no/few issues when the tour rolled in.

Technical visits happen for any competition. This is where they figure out the venue, where to place the judge stand, where the accountant room will be, etc. It is just normal it is all done when the high skating season is done and the various people in the ISU are free to get to Montreal.

mocha-ice

I know some people have asked about the weather in Montreal in March. Just for reference: Friday was rainy and +10C (50F). Today (Sunday) is sunny but feels like -12C (10F). It snowed a bit this week too...

Debbie S

I would think in Montreal they would be well equipped to deal with winter weather. But let's not start tempting Mother Nature a year in advance!!! :p
Well, I wouldn't be flying SW, since they don't fly to Montreal. ;) But I realized I have enough FF miles on American to get a free flight and they do fly to Montreal. But since I never fly them I have no idea if they're cancel-happy. If I could get a free flight and use reward points for the hotel, it might be do-able for me.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I might be able to do this as I am about to settle a couple of properties I am selling and will have some money. What do you need to do to get on an email list?

ETA - don't worry found it. Have added my name to the list.

Gusmom

Banned Member
I was hoping they’d have ticket prices listed by now.
Did I see someone post that there are no spectator hotel rates?! Has that ever happened before (in recent memory)?
Ironically until about 2 mos ago, google search found a copy of the bid including host hotels. I wish I’d taken notes (or had a better memory!)
Will likely be driving from Boston area (faster than flying with security etc).

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I was hoping they’d have ticket prices listed by now.
Did I see someone post that there are no spectator hotel rates?! Has that ever happened before (in recent memory)?
Ironically until about 2 mos ago, google search found a copy of the bid including host hotels. I wish I’d taken notes (or had a better memory!)
Will likely be driving from Boston area (faster than flying with security etc).

Yes, I was told by the lady at the Worlds booth at 4CC that there would be no special hotel rates. I believe she said the Fairmont would be one of the host hotels (she said there would be multiple). From what I remember when I went to London for 2013 Worlds, there were no special rates then either. We were price gouged at a Residence Inn for twice the normal rate. Skate Canada doesn't seem to be very helpful when it comes to lodging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information