Montpellier 2022

KaoriFan

Speaking of propaganda.

You said the whole world. I quoted the Chinese position. I understand to take with a grain of salt anything a government spokesperson says. Do you understand to take with a grain of salt what is said by the same politicians and media who said there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, or the Taliban would never take over Afghanistan? Maybe you will just believe whatever they tell you again?

ks1227

Again, China also has government supported sports and is currently committing genocide and locking Muslims up in concentration camps. Why can’t we ban them too? We knew they were doing this before the Olympics. We know they’re still doing this now…

I mean, I would be fine with banning China for this very reason. :shuffle: The fact of the matter is, that's not what is on the table right now. And if it were on the table, the case for it would have to be made on the basis of different issues than those raised by the invasion of one nation by another.

Finnice

It seems that Russian skaters will not be at World Championships:

At this rate, I wonder if World Championships will be held at all. Finland government will discuss joining NATO tomorrow. That would provoke military response from Russia. The war may not only be in Ukraine soon. Dangerous times.
This is bullshit. Welcome yo ly ignore list and goodbye.

reut

Following the IOC recommendation, in order to protect the integrity of ice skating competitions and for the safety of all the participants of international ice skating competitions, the ISU Council based on Article 17.i.q)i) of the ISU Constitution, agreed that with immediate effect and until further notice, no Skaters belonging to the ISU Members in Russia (Russian Skating Union and the Figure Skating Federation of Russia) and Belarus (Skating Union of Belarus) shall be invited or allowed to participate in International ice skating Competitions including ISU Championships and other ISU Events. The same applies to Officials listed in the respective ISU Communications and/or Regulations under Russia and Belarus.

https://isu.org/isu-news/news/145-n...ials-from-russia-and-belarus?templateParam=15

pachelbel

It's about time the ISU actually paid Russia an actual punishment. Putin, the sport-obsessed maniac, has personally mentioned the young figure skaters on numerous occasions so this is something that will definitely cause some heads to turn.

Sucks for the Russian athletes, but I'm heartbroken for the Ukrainians--some of whom aren't even allowed to leave the country in case they need to be conscripted. And others (like Shabotova) who are TRYING to run away... skating is the last thing on their minds. It would've been a complete joke to have the ISU approve Russia's participation with the current affairs in addition to the shit hurricane that Russia, Eteri, and her school brought upon the Olympics last month with Valieva testing positive.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Yuzuru out, he will not be at Worlds.
Do you have a source for this? And please, do not link some Fanyu Twitter account.

ETA - nevermind, I just saw the post in the Japanese news thread.

Karen-W

does Russia being excluded change any of the number of spots for other teams?
Not for this season. It does give other countries a much better chance at earning additional spots for next season though.

Women - USA & KOR should be well-positioned for 3 spots, GEO for 2, , BEL might earn 3 if Loena can finish 1st or 2nd, POL might earn 2, AUT might keep 2
Men - ITA possibly can earn 3 spots, GEO should earn 2, CHN could earn back a 2nd
Pairs - USA should earn 3, GEO will likely get 2, GER might get 2 back if Hase/Seegert can get back on track
Dance - CAN should be able to keep 3 now, ESP will earn 2, CHN could get a 2nd if Wang/Liu compete

manhn

As a child of Vietnamese refugees, the “they didn’t ban US skaters back in the 70s!” crowd can shut it, as if you care two whits about any of the invasions. We have precedent now. If Canada decides to invade a country for no reason, then I will encourage sporting federations around the world to ban Canadian athletes from competitions. If not competing in a figure skating event actually makes a country pause, then I’m all for it.

giselle23

Fine. I wonder, when are the US athletes going to be excluded from all sport events for invasion of Iraq? After all, if Russian athletes are representative of Russian government, so are US athletes representatives of US government. It seems to me that @Asli was right - there seems to be double standard in punishing some countries and not punishing other countries for the same thing. Don’t get me wrong, I am against this war and of course Russia has to pay for it, but it seems to me that some posters are very keen to punish Russia including punishing kids who never had any influence over what is going on, and yet their own country got away with exactly the same without anyone being punished at all.
US skaters are not representative of the US government. They receive no government funding and are free to criticize the government as we saw Adam Rippon do in 2018 when he criticized VP Pence.

Karen-W

Austria has named their team -

Women - Olga Mikutina & Stefanie Pesendorfer
Men - Maurizio Zandron
Pairs - Miriam Ziegler/Severin Kiefer

giselle23

I am not engaging in whataboutism, I am pointing out the hypocrisy of certain posters, who 20 years ago did not shout to ban their own athletes, and yet they are wanting to ban orher athletes for exactly the same. I am just curious why different rules apply to different countries. And before you suggest that I am Russian apologist, I am not! I am just suggesting that if we punish Russian athletes, then the athletes from my own country should have been punished the same, and so did the US athletes.
As pointed out, the situations were different. And there was not the nearly universal worldwide condemnation of the second Iraq war (the first was actually authorized by the UN) that we see with Ukraine. The US did not go in alone or with just one other puppet state, like Russia did. The US wasn't trying to annex territory. There was also provocation from Saddam Hussein, a ruthless dictator, who had nuclear ambitions, at least. Ukraine actually gave up its nuclear weapons and had a democratically elected leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information