Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

*Jen*

:confused: Who is blaming Kygrios for Tsitsipas's behaviour? All I'm reading is how they both had their moments during the match, and the crowd clearly turned on Tsitsipas during the match.
Yep and Kyrgios does this pretty much every single match. Yes, it was poor form from both of them but Kyrgios’s contentious relationship with the press comes largely from them asking him to explain his abusive behaviour and not coddling him :shuffle:

jenny12

Yep and Kyrgios does this pretty much every single match. Yes, it was poor form from both of them but Kyrgios’s contentious relationship with the press comes largely from them asking him to explain his abusive behaviour and not coddling him :shuffle:

Agreed. His immature behavior is tiresome and I think has really gotten in the way of his considerable talent. I don’t care about him violating dress code or whatever but his on court behavior is unacceptable and and is keeping him from achieving what I think he is capable of.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Unfortunately it seems Rafa is really suffering… so one way or another Nick may well be making his first grand slam final.

Rafa :wuzrobbed

*Jen*

I find it impossible to cheer for Kyrgios. In fact, I find myself actively cheering AGAINST him. He's so talented but he's also such an a$$.
Yeah. On one hand, when his behaviour was even more egregious a few years ago, he was hiding/not dealing with severe mental health issues, was suicidal and self harming. You can see the scars on his wrists in some photos from that period.

Part of me is concerned about his regression in behaviour now…but mainly I’m frustrated. He’s self-aware and rich enough to get help, so I think this time he’s being an ass because he’s an ass.

jenny12

I’m sad for Nadal but it’s better he withdraw than make it even worse. Hope he can fully rest and come back when he’s ready.

Desperado

This sucks on so many levels. I have no interest in watching a Kyrgios-Djokovic Toxic Masculinity Final. (Sorry Cameron, I have no faith.)

I did very much enjoy the Legends Mixed Doubles though. 20 years ago I would never have picked Goran as remaining so fit. :smokin:

millyskate

This morning I started doubting myself after the news presenter spoke of Nick kire-gee-oh-s but I've checked and it's pronounced as I thought it should be :wall:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Well, in a battle between someone who set up donations and food drives for people during lockdowns in the last couple of years, vs the poster boy for anti-vaxxers, I know who I'm backing.

*Jen*

Well, in a battle between someone who set up donations and food drives for people during lockdowns in the last couple of years, vs the poster boy for anti-vaxxers, I know who I'm backing.
Djokovic has also done an immense amount of charity work - you’re just going for your country boy because you’re biased. Which is fine, I will too, and for the same reason! But yeah, they’re both deeply flawed people who have done a lot for charity. Djokovic has a foundation, he donated a million euros for medical equipment to help in the pandemic, among many many other things. So maybe don’t fool yourself that you’re going for Nick because he’s a better person. He’s the only one of the two facing assault charges :shuffle:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
My reason for rooting for Nick is simple: I want Rafa to stay ahead of Novak on grand slams for longer. So Go Nick, and get well soon Rafa. (He’ll be out for at least a month, but fingers crossed will be able to serve again by the US Open without making the injury worse).

*Jen*

My reason for rooting for Nick is simple: I want Rafa to stay ahead of Novak on grand slams for longer. So Go Nick, and get well soon Rafa. (He’ll be out for at least a month, but fingers crossed will be able to serve again by the US Open without making the injury worse).
Me too. But I still don’t think I can watch :shuffle:

jlai

Question everything
The ladies final went pretty quickly. Congrats to the winner!
Great to see a Wimbledon final between two non-powerhouses. Though technically one of them was Russian turned Kazistan)

*Jen*

A surprisingly gracious comment by Nick post loss: "To the umpires, you and I have a very tough relationship at times, but I thought I'd thank you for putting up with it."

Rafa still beat Djokovic to 21. I guess I’ll just have to hang onto that :shuffle:

Lacey

Not sure I like Nick Kyrgios' off court personality of plopping on his red hat (not allowed even before or after matches, per rules--same as wearing colored sneakers to and from the court) when he sat down just after the match was over and continuing to wear it throughout the awards ceremony, including when he met Princess Kate, who was the awards presenter.

Some mentioned that he also did not bow to the Princess--not sure if that is required, but the hat was just plain rude.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
A surprisingly gracious comment by Nick post loss: "To the umpires, you and I have a very tough relationship at times, but I thought I'd thank you for putting up with it."

Rafa still beat Djokovic to 21. I guess I’ll just have to hang onto that :shuffle:
I saw a post yesterday listing slams Rafa has missed/withdrawn from injury in his career.
11 withdrawn before the event, 3 withdrawn/retired during the match and 2 retired between matches.

Of course all players have an injury/absence list but not usually this extensive. It’s apparently more than Djokovic & Federer combined have missed. Makes me wonder how many of those he might have won! :eek:

Lacey

Maybe someone can help me out here, I am not sure what exactly John McEnroe, Mr. "You've Got To Be Kidding Me," said about calling shots out, now that it is 2022 and many years after he yelled at the Referees, but I think he suggested on Sunday they should set up a rule at Wimbledon, as apparently other tournaments, like US, French and even Australia Opens, have done, to not let the standing referees at either end of the court question the "let" calls or calls not made, in fact to eliminate the standing referees altogether and just play on to the next point when the Hawkeye machine calls a ball "let," it is out; and/or also to not try to make calls on their own--to let Hawkeye do it.

Is that what John meant? And I think his thought was intended to keep the matches speeding right along without stopping and to keep the television fans interested, to not bore them with call arguments. Also I add it might help some arguing players stay calm and concentrate on their tennis and not the anger that can go with some of the calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information