Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I'm hoping he can win a calendar year Grand Slam in his current form and since Novak will likely be barred from entering most host countries.
Wow I don’t even dare to dream about that! :swoon: I’d love him to win the French at least, then Novak can’t overtake him till at least next year :lol:

I think Wimbledon is the one that is pretty sure to let Novak in.

Sylvia

TBD

sk9tingfan

Taylor Fritz just beat Rafael Nadal for the championship at Indian Wells! 6-3, 7-6! Both players had physical issues going into the final. Fritz with a foot injury and Nadal having gone through a 3 set, 3+ hour grueling match against Alcaraz yesterday.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

It was a fun match to watch! I’m a Nadal fan, but great win for Fritz.
I love Nadal as well, but I've been following Fritz for the last five years, waiting for him to fulfill his potential. Hopefully, this is not a fluke.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

I believe it is far tougher mentally to beat nadal than physically so anyone who does it has to be applauded for total mental strength! Nadal certainly presents a lot to deal with

jenny12

Ash Barry retiring at 25! Must be nice! Seriously though, good for her! She’s been a great champion and I wish her a joyful retirement.

Orm Irian

Ash Barry retiring at 25! Must be nice! Seriously though, good for her! She’s been a great champion and I wish her a joyful retirement.

Onya Ash. :)

caseyedwards

It’s so unusual! If she feels it’s best that’s her right and there is nothing wrong with it. I just wonder how many more she could have won. I am just used to seeing players play and play and play until they lose all their first round matches at slams and then retire.

elka_sk8

Surely I wasn’t the only one crying right along with Ash and Casey in that video?? :wuzrobbed Happy for her but also sad we will no longer be able to watch her beautiful tennis. She was so good for the sport both as a player and a person.

eusebius

I will miss Ash! A class act on and off the court.

As Casper Ruud takes the first set from Zverev in today's Miami QF, I find myself wishing he were a figure skater so there would be more jokes about blowing smoke in Ruud and eville ways :angryfire😈

tylersf

caseyedwards

Medvedev and others should really have a chat with Putin and order him to end the war on Ukraine. If only sharapova was still playing! She could do it. Maybe she could even being retired. Though she really is 99% America based

tylersf

Excluding the transgender players, are or were there any female tennis players on the pro tour that many people assumed to be men?

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Excluding the transgender players, are or were there any female tennis players on the pro tour that many people assumed to be men?
Have I missed something major? :confused: I know there was a transgender player in the 70’s but can’t recall anyone else.

I remember some bitchy comments being made about a few grand slam champions in the last 20 years, one even from a player themselves, but none of them are worth repeating or naming and I don’t think anyone really thought there was any truth to it, it was just people being very rude.

I really must have missed something.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Wimbledon’s ranking points have been taken away by the ATP, WTA and ITF. They left the UK warm up tournaments with points in the end as there are other tournaments the players from Russia and Belarus can play at those weeks.

It sounded like many of the top ATP players were pushing for this, I have no idea whether that means they will still play or withdraw…. :confused:

caseyedwards

I was assuming There is no tennis player who wouldn’t want to win Wimbledon! Points or no points. Wimbledons plan to try to make all Russian tennis players become navalnys and oppose Putin politically has backfired

sk9tingfan

Watching the Coco Gauff/Elise Mertens 4th round match. It is unbelievable how good coco has gotten. I think that part of that progress has been due to all the doubles matches she has played. She bageled Mertens in the second set!

sk9tingfan

Coco is into the French Open semi-final, having just beat Sloane Stevens in straight sets! She has a doubles quarterfinal match starting in about 45 minutes! She beat Martina Trevisan who beat Fernandez from Canada, which was totally unexpected.

sk9tingfan

An update. Not only is Coco in the semi-finals in singles; she and Pegula are in an all-American doubles semi-final against Madison Keys and Townsend (first name?)! Not sure, but this may be historic.

Correction in my last post on Martina Trevisan who beat Fernandez, which was unexpected. Coco will meet her today in the semis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information