Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

*Jen*

I love Stef but he’s got to stop his father coaching. He commentators said he didn’t like it and he found it hilarious when the umpires did “a sting operation” to catch the dad out…but then at his post match press conference he said he was being unfairly targeted. There’s no need to do sting operations on other players when their coaches aren’t coaching :shuffle:

I’m rooting for Rafa but I don’t think he can beat Danil, unfortunately. I’ve also got concerns about whether Ash could beat Danielle - she’s on fire!

Meanwhile there’s yet more evidence that Novak’s positive test was…manipulated :shuffle: I don’t think this news is any different to what der spiegel reported the other week but it’s the first major English speaking network I’ve seen to investigate and report it!

barbk

I love Stef but he’s got to stop his father coaching. He commentators said he didn’t like it and he found it hilarious when the umpires did “a sting operation” to catch the dad out…but then at his post match press conference he said he was being unfairly targeted. There’s no need to do sting operations on other players when their coaches aren’t coaching :shuffle:

I’m rooting for Rafa but I don’t think he can beat Danil, unfortunately. I’ve also got concerns about whether Ash could beat Danielle - she’s on fire!

Meanwhile there’s yet more evidence that Novak’s positive test was…manipulated :shuffle: I don’t think this news is any different to what der spiegel reported the other week but it’s the first major English speaking network I’ve seen to investigate and report it!
Yeah, I trust Novak about as far as I could throw him.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
:cheer2:

I've been a fan of Ashleigh's tennis since 2013 when I saw her playing doubles with Casey Dellacqua. Was so glad when she decided to give tennis another try and in 2019 I was there at the final of Birmingham witnessing her clinching World No. 1 with a win. Now three-time Grand Slam winner!

:cheer2:

caseyedwards

We will see if Australian prosecutors seek an indictment and if djokovic will be listed in interpol and subject to arrest for fraud. ATP could also ban him for life for trying to get into a tournament fraudulently

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
We will see if Australian prosecutors seek an indictment and if djokovic will be listed in interpol and subject to arrest for fraud. ATP could also ban him for life for trying to get into a tournament fraudulently
Your yoga poses must be amazing to twist yourself in that kind of logic. They deported him, and now they're going to indict him, have him arrested, and brought to Australia to stand trial?

alexikeguchi

Rafa is in the finals! :kickass: It feels like it’s been a long time since I last sat screaming at the tv :lol:
I’m rooting for Rafa but I don’t think he can beat Danil, unfortunately.

Meanwhile there’s yet more evidence that Novak’s positive test was…manipulated :shuffle:
I have nothing against Daniil, but I hope you're wrong about Rafa if for no other reason than it would be hilarious for him to be the one to get to 21 slams first. And if Novak doesn't read the tea leaves and get vaccinated, he may not have as many opportunities to extend his own record as he thought.

caseyedwards

Your yoga poses must be amazing to twist yourself in that kind of logic. They deported him, and now they're going to indict him, have him arrested, and brought to Australia to stand trial?
If he faked tests he broke laws. So he can go to jail in Australia if they want to do that or atp can ban him for life. Or everyone agrees to not really care.

*Jen*

He’s not going to jail. Maybe he provided a false document to try to get into Australia - happens every day and results in visa cancellation, not jail. His visa was already cancelled and can’t be more cancelled. There will be no prosecution over this in Australia. Maybe Serbia would go after him, since the alleged fraud happened there, but doubtful.

The likely consequence is that those who already hate him will continue to hate him, and those who defend him will continue to defend him. So…no consequences.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I'd like to write 21 !s but that might be a bit unseemly.

I got up my courage enough to watch the last 2 games (and then all the ceremonies thereafter).

I really like Medvedev and I know he's going to win a lot of GS in his time, but I'm just so happy for Rafa. What an achievement. And he has an Olympic gold in singles which is the topping on the cake.

eusebius

That 5th set was unreal. Perhaps if Medvedev had been able to come in from the baseline a bit more he might have taken it. His usual strategy works against pretty much anyone else it seems. But Rafa was just too good and showed why he is the best competitor ever. Hats off to him!!

*Jen*

Oh my goodness! Despite being in the same time zone, I went to bed mid way through the third set thinking Medvedev had it wrapped up. The first 2.5 sets were painful to watch. Each point took forever and it was nearly 3 hours and the third wasn’t finished. I was stunned but thrilled when I woke up this morning and saw he won!!!

My colleague stayed up watching (well past 1am - the match was about 5.5 hours). She’s exhausted at work this morning but said it was her favourite match of all time.

So pleased for Rafa!

ryanj07

I'm chiming in late but still so thrilled for Rafa even days later! I fell asleep early in the 4th set resigned to Med winning but thankful that Rafa had won a set. Imagine my surprise when I woke up a few hours later and checked the scores! I should know by now to never count out the bull!

*Jen*

Djokovic lost in Dubai and is losing his ranking to Medvedev, which is really well deserved to Medvedev I must say. Although Nadal then crushed him in straight sets :shuffle:

And Zverev’s behaviour in Mexico was disgusting. I’m glad they threw him out of the tournament.

Last edited:

*Jen*

In contrast, Andrey Rublev is showing support for Ukraine on his insta stories, and after winning his last match wrote “no war please” on the camera lens. Much respect from me.
Yep! And Medvedev also called for peace in his post match conference.

I hope they can continue touring and playing…I know many events are being moved out of Russia but none of this is the fault of any athlete.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Another title for Rafa in Acapulco! He’s now 15-0 on the year and his best ever start! I love this resurgence for him.

I hope he can have a nice rest before the clay season but I think it’s likely he’ll play Indian Wells.
I agree, and Miami too?

I think he has a shot at getting back to number 1 if he can just stay healthy - he’s up to 4 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information