Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Fiero425

The majority of the Aussie populous was weighing their own frustration "living the life 'down under'" the last couple years! From what I hear it was oppressive how the FED locked things down for months at a time! They don't want to see a celebrity skirt the rules even though it was their own government that allowed a loophole! This is on all 3 governing bodies: Victoria Province, The Fed, & Tennis Australia! Someone approved a Visa for Djokovic so it's not on him as much! He was autho'd to fly in from someone! This whole thing turned unnecessarily into "Breaking Int'l News" for over a week! Someone should have made a definitive decision to deal with the situation on Day 1 as far as I'm concerned! If going hard, GO HARD and not even give Djokovic any reprieve or appeal! Again, this is on local governing bodies and judges! :confused: :wall::scream::argue::confused:

ballettmaus

I'm surprised at the outrage by some. This is how it works: visas get issued but the authorities at the port of entry can still refuse you entry and visas can be revoked. It's the same in the US, it's the same in Russia and probably everywhere else. I've yet to encounter a country where an issued visa guarantees you entry.

Fiero425

I'm surprised at the outrage by some. This is how it works: visas get issued but the authorities at the port of entry can still refuse you entry and visas can be revoked. It's the same in the US, it's the same in Russia and probably everywhere else. I've yet to encounter a country where an issued visa guarantees you entry.

This difference here is Australia's mistreating the #1 male player in the world and on the verge of "Greatness!" :confused: :wall:

*Jen*

Now this saga is over, let’s get back to tennis!!

Here are the stories we missed while that drama took all the attention.

Personally, I think Osaka benefitted from there being no attention on her while this was all taking place. I do note the hypocrisy of her being in trouble because she didn’t want to do press conferences…but it being totally fine for the tennis association for the men’s world number 1 to refuse to comply with other rules. I really hope she’s in a better place now and would love to see her do well!

Unfortunately for her I’m in the Barty Party so I want Ash to win ;) But still rooting for Naomi and this will only be an issue if they have to play each other in the final.

Can’t decide if I want Rafa to win for nostalgic reasons, or if I want a new champion. I hope Rafa does well though, and not just because no one else obsessively picks at a wedgie like he does :shuffle:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The majority of the Aussie populous was weighing their own frustration "living the life 'down under'" the last couple years! From what I hear it was oppressive how the FED locked things down for months at a time! They don't want to see a celebrity skirt the rules even though it was their own government that allowed a loophole! This is on all 3 governing bodies: Victoria Province, The Fed, & Tennis Australia! Someone approved a Visa for Djokovic so it's not on him as much! He was autho'd to fly in from someone! This whole thing turned unnecessarily into "Breaking Int'l News" for over a week! Someone should have made a definitive decision to deal with the situation on Day 1 as far as I'm concerned! If going hard, GO HARD and not even give Djokovic any reprieve or appeal! Again, this is on local governing bodies and judges! :confused: :wall::scream::argue::confused:
He got the visa by lying on his visa application. So it is on him.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This difference here is Australia's mistreating the #1 male player in the world and on the verge of "Greatness!" :confused: :wall:
So what if he is the number one tennis player and how is Australia mistreating him? He tried to get around their rules, possibly lied on his application. Why should a celebrity have a different set of rules? Why is it ok for a celebrity to break those rules?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My understanding is that the decision to allow anyone (visa holder) into the country is made by the border agent/officer. I don't know if they can revoke a visa but they can stop a person from entering. In the US it is totally at the discretion of that officer.

*Jen*

Serena almost died during childbirth and the French Open still wouldn't let her wear a bodysuit to help prevent blood clots. All 4 grand slams publicly criticized Osaka for prioritizing her mental health and declining interviews. Australia called BS on Tennis Australia for catering to Djokovic's whims and that’s what people are upset about?

So what if he’s number one - Serena and Naomi have been too. They didn’t get special treatment when they had issues beyond their control…

Anyway, France how now banned entry of unvaccinated too so he’s got a choice to make before the French Open.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Serena almost died during childbirth and the French Open still wouldn't let her wear a bodysuit to help prevent blood clots. All 4 grand slams publicly criticized Osaka for prioritizing her mental health and declining interviews. Australia called BS on Tennis Australia for catering to Djokovic's whims and that’s what people are upset about?
Quote the source ;) (I’ve seen this everywhere)

*Jen*

Quote the source ;) (I’ve seen this everywhere)
Why? This isn’t an academic essay.

But since you ask, the French banned Serena from wearing a catsuit despite her history of blood clots and the organisation that runs all four grand slams chose to fine Naomi Osaka for refusing interviews when she had a mental health condition.

Did anyone choose to censure Novak? No, they tried to change the rules for him. White male privilege, and people are upset it was called out and still think he deserves it. Shrug.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Why? This isn’t an academic essay.

But since you ask, the French banned Serena from wearing a catsuit despite her history of blood clots and the organisation that runs all four grand slams chose to fine Naomi Osaka for refusing interviews when she had a mental health condition.

Did anyone choose to censure Novak? No, they tried to change the rules for him. White male privilege, and people are upset it was called out and still think he deserves it. Shrug.
I’m highly aware of those instances being accurate. I didn't mean the sources behind those stories, but rather that this is lifted from someone else and it’s been shared all over the internet by now. It was meant as more of a light-hearted thing- note the wink, but here we are. :) I shared said post to my own IG story the other day.

Last edited:

*Jen*

I’m highly aware of those instances being accurate. I didn't mean the sources behind those stories, but rather that this is lifted from someone else and it’s been shared all over the internet by now. It was meant as more of a light-hearted thing- note the wink, but here we are. :) I shared said post to my own IG story the other day.

Ahhh, right! My mum said it to me in a text and she’s obsessed with twitter so she clearly lifted it :lol:

Fiero425

So what if he’s number one - Serena and Naomi have been too. They didn’t get special treatment when they had issues beyond their control…

Anyway, France how now banned entry of unvaccinated too so he’s got a choice to make before the French Open.

I have no problem with the policy, but the execution was mind-numbing! It didn't have to end up an Int'l scandal! :40beers: :rolleyes:

*Jen*

Umm…is the crowd booing?! Someone said it’s Ronaldo’s “siuuuu!” But that’s stupid and the tone sounds like…boo.

I heard it with Andy Murray (who played phenomenally well), Nick Kyrgios (who called the crowd a zoo) and Rinderknech, who beat an Australian.

Whatever it is, I hope they stop. I had to watch on mute so I can’t imagine how hard it was for the players!

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I don’t think Rafa is in good enough condition to win this, but if his foot is up to another clay court season and Djokovic can’t play Paris then Rafa could possibly make it to 21 first. I know Novak will end up with the most slams of course**, but I’d like it if Rafa held the record outright first even if it’s only for a month :lol: Of course as Rafa himself keeps saying it is better for the sport if all the top players are there. But Novak is so stubborn I can’t see him giving in and getting the vaccine so I am just daydreaming!

**mainly because there are two hard court slams. If there were two grass court slams Fed would be top, or two clay court slams Rafa would be.

:slinkaway

*Jen*

Both Rafa and Kyrgios have spoken about how rough their experience with Covid was, vaccinated. I’m not sure Rafa is up to winning this tournament either but I’m just so happy to see him! Hope he’s back in his best possible form by the French

*Jen*

This crowd is rowdy. I strongly dislike them. Medvedev had a go at them and I’m with him - I have to watch on mute.

I think the umpires should be more proactive in shushing them and they should probably get anyone yelling boo or siuu or moo whatever idiotic thing they’re saying thrown out to send a message.

*Jen*

There's always an upset with a lower seed beating a higher one...but Osaka had two match points. That was hard to watch.

So was Rafa and Karen, but only because it went so late here. Meanwhile Karen looks more like a Hemsworth than the third Hemsworth brother...

Desperado

Medvedev has become one of my favourites, really liked how he was trying to get the crowd to shut up and respect Jim Courier and how he handled himself.

Watched the end of the Karatsev-Mannarino match, Aslan fought hard and looked exhausted in the last set.

After the ND drama, everything feels a bit anticlimactic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information