Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

*Jen*

I don't agree with the reason given by the Aussie Immigration minister. He says (paraphrasing) Novak will spread the *****

That’s actually the opposite of what he said. He said there was a negligible risk of him spreading c*vid but a huge risk of him inciting anti-vax sentiment and protests. And given there’s an anti-vax protest in Sydney right now with hundreds of people waving “Novax” sighs and Serbian flags…he wasn’t wrong :shuffle:

They shouldn’t have given him the visa to begin with. They stuffed up and now this is embarrassing. But so is Djokovic - part of the material he submitted to the minister to consider was a screenshot from a poll in an Australian newspaper asking if he should be allowed to play, where it was obvious that whoever took the screenshot had voted “yes” :lol:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
CNN interviewed a sports Journalist who is at the Australian open. He said this is a distraction for the other players. Some are not happy about the special treatment for Novak.

*Jen*

CNN interviewed a sports Journalist who is at the Australian open. He said this is a distraction for the other players. Some are not happy about the special treatment for Novak.
It’s an absolute distraction - for everyone including Novak - and I feel for all of them. Novak should have had his visa refused, which he could have kept private. The others would have been free to focus on their preparations.

And he definitely got special treatment, Tsisipas was interviewed yesterday and said he was reluctant to get vaccinated but did and it was one set of rules for him and another for Novak. Privilege in action!

Orm Irian

I certainly can't imagine that Dylan Alcott and Ash Barty, aka our amazing home-grown World No 1s, are terribly thrilled about Djokovic getting all the attention.

muffinplus

I'm confused why they chose "public interest" as the grounds based on which they are deporting him? Is it because there is less of c a chance for that to be contested?

*Jen*

I'm confused why they chose "public interest" as the grounds based on which they are deporting him? Is it because there is less of c a chance for that to be contested?
I think it’s just because it’s a broad ground and can be construed however the minister wants, but not sure.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
One of my favorite basketball players, Nigel Hayes-Davis, plays for Barcelona bball. Djokovic was at their game on 12/14 and had a very NOT socially distanced pic with Nigel after the game because Nigel was player of the game that night.

Two days later, on 12/16, Nigel's birthday, he tested positive while in Athens for a game. He then had to spend his birthday AND Christmas by himself in a hotel room in Athens. He posted one sad/funny tweet about it (a gif from SpongeBob). Djokovic should show so much fortitude.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I read that is the only power this minister has - he can only do it if it is in the public interest.

caseyedwards

That’s actually the opposite of what he said. He said there was a negligible risk of him spreading c*vid but a huge risk of him inciting anti-vax sentiment and protests. And given there’s an anti-vax protest in Sydney right now with hundreds of people waving “Novax” sighs and Serbian flags…he wasn’t wrong :shuffle:

They shouldn’t have given him the visa to begin with. They stuffed up and now this is embarrassing. But so is Djokovic - part of the material he submitted to the minister to consider was a screenshot from a poll in an Australian newspaper asking if he should be allowed to play, where it was obvious that whoever took the screenshot had voted “yes” :lol:
And that’s stupid because he has sponsored vaccine campaigns for others in Serbia

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I would have thought the admission that he did not fill out his own forms alone would be grounds as it means he lied upon arrival. You are asked if you filled out your own forms. If he said yes, he lied.

If the government's incompetence means the appeal is allowed, his first game may never get underway anyway, purely because the chair umpire will never be able to settle the crowd's booing.

*Jen*

Hmm. This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. I maintain that they shouldn’t have granted him a visa, especially since they’ll grounds they relied on to cancel were all well known before he arrived.

Oh well. Time to focus back on tennis with the tournament starting tomorrow!

caseyedwards

Horrifying. The government gives djokovic a visa then flip flops when voters didn’t like it and then to defend themselves come up with the LOONY defense djokovic was going to lead violent anti vaccination protests and they are upheld. Australia government is just pure total evil. Djokovic was born in a COMMUNIST state and lived under MILOSEVIC! This is clearly the worst treatment he has ever received by a government. And he was bombed by nato too. Australia government is an evil and loony.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
Never been a fan of Djokovic off the tennis court. I don't mind him, but never specifically cared for him. He has a large fan base in Croatia and it is a good thing given the recent history of our two nations.

What happened in Australia should be very worrying for the citizens who live there and those who chose to come.

And Djokovic and I have very little in common when it comes to lifestyle or worldviews.

I am ready to bet that he had many vaccines when he was a child and in his teens, as this is not something you can opt-out in former Yugoslavian countries.

The minister has given the anti-vax and those who are vax skeptics (people have good reasons that precede this pandemic) a reason to fight even more. I hope I am wrong!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just read this on CNN.

He is flying on Emirates to Dubai after the court rejected his appeal. He issued a gracious statement, finally.

The Serbian President was not so gracious. She criticized Australia for following their own laws. (Roll eyes emo - where is it?). Australia really didn't have anything to gain from deporting Novak (politically May be), and I am sure they would have liked to have a superstar play in their tournament.

Novak brought it on himself. He needs to take responsibility for his actions.

Actually he may have broken Serbian rules for quarantine after he tested positive. I am sure he will be forgiven.

manhn

So, how it will work for France, England and the US. Do you need to be vaxxed? I guess unvaccinated players won’t be going to the Canadian Open.

caseyedwards

Just read this on CNN.

He is flying on Emirates to Dubai after the court rejected his appeal. He issued a gracious statement, finally.

The Serbian President was not so gracious. She criticized Australia for following their own laws. (Roll eyes emo - where is it?). Australia really didn't have anything to gain from deporting Novak (politically May be), and I am sure they would have liked to have a superstar play in their tournament.

Novak brought it on himself. He needs to take responsibility for his actions.

Actually he may have broken Serbian rules for quarantine after he tested positive. I am sure he will be forgiven.
He followed all the rules. He was given exemption and than Australia flip flopped

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
@Vash01 I think hell is going to freeze for "defending" Aleksandar Vučić, the president of Serbia. The guy was personally involved in the occupation of Croatia in the early 90s and I will not go into more details.

I read his statement in Serbian and cannot point out what you are referring to. Their prime minister is a woman, Ana Brnabić and when asked about Novak breaking quarantine when he knew he was positive, she said that there are laws in Serbia against that. The ball is in the Serbian corner on that!

President Vučić said many things, but what I can understand is his anger against things said by the prosecutors about the situation in Serbia, claiming how the population there is not vaccinated enough (under 50% they apparently claimed in court) while the situation is better than that. Frankly, Serbia had available free vaccines for anyone who would show up (regardless if they are a citizen or not) sooner than many EU countries (this is something I know for sure) and their vaccination rate is similar to EU countries (this is what he claims, I haven't checked).

I think Djokovic was targeted bc there were others who got to Australia the same way he did and nothing happened. They started deporting some after Djokovic story broke.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The way I understand it, Djokovic shouldn't have ever been granted a visa to start with. Once he was, any response is going to make a mess.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
@Vash01 I think hell is going to freeze for "defending" Aleksandar Vučić, the president of Serbia. The guy was personally involved in the occupation of Croatia in the early 90s and I will not go into more details.

I read his statement in Serbian and cannot point out what you are referring to. Their prime minister is a woman, Ana Brnabić and when asked about Novak breaking quarantine when he knew he was positive, she said that there are laws in Serbia against that. The ball is in the Serbian corner on that!

President Vučić said many things, but what I can understand is his anger against things said by the prosecutors about the situation in Serbia, claiming how the population there is not vaccinated enough (under 50% they apparently claimed in court) while the situation is better than that. Frankly, Serbia had available free vaccines for anyone who would show up (regardless if they are a citizen or not) sooner than many EU countries (this is something I know for sure) and their vaccination rate is similar to EU countries (this is what he claims, I haven't checked).

I think Djokovic was targeted bc there were others who got to Australia the same way he did and nothing happened. They started deporting some after Djokovic story broke.
I reread the cnn article (posted link). Yes, she is a PM, not a president. I get confused when a country has both, a Prime minister and a President.

My comments are based solely on what the CNN article said. I am sure there is a lot that the article did not cover.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The way I understand it, Djokovic shouldn't have ever been granted a visa to start with. Once he was, any response is going to make a mess.
I read that he applied for the visa on line, and based on the info he provided on line, he was granted the visa. If my understanding is correct, during his interview at the airpor, upon arrival, other things came out.

Do they interview every arrival in Australia? Or is it for those who have a medical exemption?

*Jen*

I find the Australian government decision Orwellian, arbitrary, and frightening. The judges have deported Djokovic because of what they perceive his views to be. The Thought Police.
The judges have nothing to do with it. They do judicial review only - they had no power to give him a visa, no power to deport him and are confined to whether there was a legal error in the underlying process of cancellation. I fully expect them to be critical of the government in their reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information