Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is so stupid! CNN did a story on the Novak situation but they got the year wrong. They are using 2020 where it should be 2021. Apparently they don't know that we are in the year 2022.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
This is so stupid! CNN did a story on the Novak situation but they got the year wrong. They are using 2020 where it should be 2021. Apparently they don't know that we are in the year 2022.

Have you never heard of a typo?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Have you never heard of a typo?
It is not just a typo that occurred once. Did you actually read the article? They are consistently one year behind, throughout the story. These days nobody proofreads, from what I am told. Makes them look incompetent.

skatingguy

decently
It is not just a typo that occurred once. Did you actually read the article? They are consistently one year behind, throughout the story. These days nobody proofreads, from what I am told. Makes them look incompetent.
You're right - no one proofreads - particularly for online content the mantra is publish as much as possible as quickly as possible.

*Jen*

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Goodbye, you lying liar fcuk!
Oh let’s not get ahead of ourselves, he’s already won one appeal.

I wish this wasn’t so political. He’s clearly a liar and I doubt the veracity of his conveniently timed PCR test. But I’m also cynical about this being announced just after it came to light that the government was commandeering rapid antigen test supplies from businesses and state governments and all the criticism that came with that :shuffle:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Oh let’s not get ahead of ourselves, he’s already won one appeal.

I wish this wasn’t so political. He’s clearly a liar and I doubt the veracity of his conveniently timed PCR test. But I’m also cynical about this being announced just after it came to light that the government was commandeering rapid antigen test supplies from businesses and state governments and all the criticism that came with that :shuffle:
Yeah, that bit sucks.

But surely he would struggle to get up this time. Either his PCR test was faked, or he ignored it. Either way, he's openly admitted to not filling out his own documentation - so he's already lied on official forms.

Orm Irian

He's scheduled to play his first game on Sunday, so would he be able to make that? Do the courts operate on the weekend in Australia?
There's going to be a directions hearing at 8:45 AEDT (meaning it's probably getting underway right as I'm typing this) and then a late-night hearing once the lawyers have put in their submissions if I've understood the reporting right.

*Jen*

He's scheduled to play his first game on Sunday, so would he be able to make that? Do the courts operate on the weekend in Australia?
He’s scheduled to play either Monday or Tuesday Australian time, so there are 2-3 days.

Courts don’t normally operate over the weekend, nor do they operate in January (it’s our summer holidays) - but they will for this.

I was watching the directions hearing. The judge wanted to transfer the case to a superior court but Novak’s lawyers have opposed that and said the same judge should hear it.

Sounds like the cancellation is for totally different reasons this time - said he’s a risk to health and safety because he’s inciting anti-vax sentiment…

Orm Irian

The judge has transferred the case from his court (Federal Circuit) to the Federal Court. Djokovic's lawyers didn't want that; it'll take more time for everything to get done.

Djokovic has to attend an interview with Border Force officials tomorrow morning. He's not in detention now but will be following the interview from what I understand. The final hearing will be on Sunday.

His first match, if he's allowed to remain in the country, will be on Monday.

D

Deleted member 221

One one hand, he's getting much more scrutiny because he's a public figure. E.g., would people really go searching the instagrams of other people who entered the country using a legal exception for having recovered from C19 within a designated timeframe?

OTOH, he's really stupid for not anticipating this, and his problems seem to be compounding.

I truly cannot understand why Australia cannot come to a position, though - deport him or don’t. This is an embarrassing circus. TBH, I think the government is exciting the anti-vaxx movement far more than Djokovic is by dragging this out so long.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
They revoked his visa. Appeal goes to court.
I wish Novak would just accept the rules of the country he is visiting. That is called integrity.

Last edited:

Tesla

Whippet Good
They revoked his visa. Appeal goes to court.
I wish Novak would just accept the rules of the country he is visiting. That is called integrity.
This. I wish he would suck it up, apologize, and leave as graciously as he can. He’s looking like a major a**hole.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The WTA is supporting Voracova:
Now WTA wants to get involved. Why not leave the decisions to the authorities that have jurisdiction? At least Voracova obeyed when asked to leave the country. Novak wants special treatment for being number one in Tennis. I used to be neutral toward him before this happened.

caseyedwards

Now WTA wants to get involved. Why not leave the decisions to the authorities that have jurisdiction? At least Voracova obeyed when asked to leave the country. Novak wants special treatment for being number one in Tennis. I used to be neutral toward him before this happened.
This is not true. Australia set rules with exceptions. He is trying to use the exceptions and Australia is like “we didn’t really mean them”

*Jen*

One one hand, he's getting much more scrutiny because he's a public figure. E.g., would people really go searching the instagrams of other people who entered the country using a legal exception for having recovered from C19 within a designated timeframe?
No one else has been let into the country quarantine free without being vaccinated. But in terms of visa cancellation more broadly, yes, they absolutely trawl people’s social media when deciding whether to grant or cancel. It’s pretty common for people to be caught out in fake relationships or with false protection claims that way.
How nice of them. I'm assuming they do that for all cancelled visas? :saint: :shuffle:
Of course! That’s why the Circuit Court in Melbourne has an average wait time of 4 years between directions hearing and final hearing :shuffle:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Now the President of Serbia is fighting for Novak. why isn't anyone concerned about the rules passed by the country he is visiting? Every time they mention 'World's number1 tennis player'. So he is exempt from everything? May be in Serbia, but why should other countries bend their rules for him?

I don't agree with the reason given by the Aussie Immigration minister. He says (paraphrasing) Novak will spread the virus .
That just gives his attorney a chance to prove that he does not. Why not say he did not follow the procedures (no travel 14 days before entering Australia)?

My question- why didn't Australia deport him immediately instead of putting him in detainment? Is detainment a necessary step before being deported?

Orm Irian

I don't agree with the reason given by the Aussie Immigration minister. He says (paraphrasing) Novak will spread the ***** .
That just gives his attorney a chance to prove that he does not. Why not say he did not follow the procedures (no travel 14 days before entering Australia)?
It's also pretty hilarious given that when anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists rioted through the streets of Melbourne, urinated on the Shrine of Remembrance and carried a mock gallows through the streets chanting about their desire to hang the Premier of Victoria, all Angus Taylor's boss had to say was that he "understood people's frustrations" (Scott needs the far-right-wing vote, you see, but he also thinks being tough on Djokovic is a vote-winner with a different crowd).

Worth mentioning, too, that Angus Taylor is a rich idiot who can add up 2 + 2 three times in a row and get 7, 29 and -163 as answers. But he's ideologically in line and follows instructions and that's all that matters to Scott. That explains why he's not presenting an argument that actually makes sense. This is not about Djokovic, it's about polling, projecting a hairy-chested 'tough on borders, tough on immigrants' image and getting votes for Scott.

ballettmaus

That just gives his attorney a chance to prove that he does not.
Can he though? Data suggests that while the vaccinated still spread it there less of a risk to others and any smart prosecutor would use the unmasked events Djokovic attended after allegedly testing positive to prove their point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information