Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

mjb52

I think Azarenka has been through a lot with the situation with her son, so I will be happy with whoever wins (I like Osaka too).

Lacey

I was fascinated that Azarenka actually smiled several times during her last match and also that she seems to have some calming thing she does, closing her eyes, the commentators also said she has been known to throw a towel over her head to calm down in her chair between sets/games. I would imagine that keeping calm or getting calm are big parts of winning tennis. Good luck to her, actually to them both. I know the Women's Final is going to be great tennis!

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Naomi :cheer2:

Amazing that it’s been 25 years since someone came back from losing the first set in the final. Huge credit to Naomi, and congrats to Vika for making it this far (seven years since a final - I’d never have guessed it was that long).

liv

Congrats to Naomi on the win, and to Victoria for her return to the top ranks of tennis. It's always better when there are more challengers at the top.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
The powerful groundstrokes of Osaka were too much as expected. Such a talent. 3 slams already at only 22, and this is not the days of teen phenoms of old, 22 today is basically if you were 18 from 20 years ago.

Lacey

The end result was predictable, with perhaps surprising credit to Azarenka for coming out blazing so hard in the first set, good for her--hopefully she can get to the end soon. Osaka is scarily good for someone so young, and good for her for the comeback after the first set. I predict many more wins in her life.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
Once there was a debate if the WTA deserved the same prize money as the ATP. If a clown like Zverev wins the mens U.S Open they should literally start paying the ATP less than the ATP. They don't deserve as much as the WTA anymore. They have been held up by the aging Big 3 forever now, since there is literally no decent young to middle aged talent emerging in the mens game for 10-15 years, unlike the WTA.

skatingguy

decently
Once there was a debate if the WTA deserved the same prize money as the ATP. If a clown like Zverev wins the mens U.S Open they should literally start paying the ATP less than the ATP. They don't deserve as much as the WTA anymore. They have been held up by the aging Big 3 forever now, since there is literally no decent young to middle aged talent emerging in the mens game for 10-15 years, unlike the WTA.
For starters, I think you're wrong about the young players on the ATP. Just look at the young talent in the 4th round of this year's US Open. Second, the ATP & WTA do not pay equal prize money, as the ATP tour pays significantly more prize money than the WTA. The four Grand Slam events do pay equal prize money to both the men & the women but those four tournaments are not part of either tour.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
For starters, I think you're wrong about the young players on the ATP. Just look at the young talent in the 4th round of this year's US Open. Second, the ATP & WTA do not pay equal prize money, as the ATP tour pays significantly more prize money than the WTA. The four Grand Slam events do pay equal prize money to both the men & the women but those four tournaments are not part of either tour.

I know, it should be the reverse. The WTA should be getting more. The WTA product is WAY better than the ATP these days and has been for awhile. The only thing that has kept the ATP afloat since what now, 2008 atleast are the Big 3 + Murray. No young or even middle aged talent has emerged in forever, but thankfully the Big 3 have played until they are nearly 40 to save things. This tournament without the Big 3 and Murray (who is washed up by injuries now anyway) all away have really exposed what the ATP has been all along besides them.

skatingguy

decently
I was about to get mad and then I realized it's a troll post.
Yeah, I realized that after the 2nd post & won't bother responding further. I try to give people the benefit of doubt but when they double done on ignorance I'm out.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
Only a troll or huge sexist (more likely the latter, I am a guy, but am not a sexist) would deny the WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP these days, especialy if the amazing Big 3, literally the only ones holding down mens tennis for 10-15 years now are really winding down. This tournament really has exposed how the ATP without them and Murray has been nothing forever now, you only didn't notice since they were there. I doubt any of you who gushed over the amazing womens finals yesterday are even watching the mens final, like me and 99.9999% of tennis fans you likely turned it off an hour ago (like 10 minutes after it started) since it is so abysmal and pitiful, an accurate reflection of the ATP once the Big 3 who have been single handedly holding up mens tennis for over a decade, and continued to the last few years even in their grandpa states, are done.

The WTA for up and coming great young players has Andreescu, Osaka, Muguruza, Sloane, a bunch of Russians, too many to list. The ATP has.......the janitor's son? Rafa, Roger Goderer, and Djokovic please hurry back, the ATP will need you carry its sorry ass for atleast another 4 years into your 40s perhaps it looks like.

ross_hy

What a weird, intense match. You could tell both guys were so nervous trying to close it out. Props to Thiem for getting it done, but I also feel for Zverev. On to Roland Garros!

jlai

Question everything
Thiem showed major GRIT & GUTS today and I'm happy he finally won his first Grand Slam title (eta) on his 4th try!!
I'm so glad Thiem won. It would have messed with his head if he had ended up as bridesmaid again.
Finally!

Zverev was so sad; he is still young and is likely to have more shots at this.

annie720

Grrr! Early in the 3rd set we switched to a TCM movie that was starting, thinking it was over. Couldn't believe it went to 5! So sorry I missed it. The awards ceremony was a tear jerker. Congrats to Thiem!

muffinplus

They played figure skating warm up music as the match ended which made me :rofl:

What a crazy match... I'm happy Thiem won, I was wondering when it would be over as I wanted to have dinner

Lacey

If anyone has a link to the awards ceremony, we switched to BB, and our recording stopped, grrr.

Lorac

I was caught by surprised to see Serena is 39 - when did that happen?!?!? I remember when Venus first started out and their father said that there was an even better player coming up behind - who was Serena!! Then when she won her first GS at 18 and now she's 39 :eek:

Unfortunately her age is really going to play against her getting the record from Margaret Court - Wimbledon will be her best shot to equal the record but nowadays the other players aren't scared to play her like they use to be - and ny injury she gets will take longer to recover from.

Lacey

All I can say with all of this Trump ****** is thank heavens for the French Open so I can refresh my tv off of American politics and the virus talk to something exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information