Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Fiero425

Probably restarting in 2021.

I just heard on Tennis Channel! I guess we all knew it was inevitable! I know someone over there and they're in as much a lockdown state as we are here in the US! Wow, it didn't take long for someone to turn us into a 3rd world nation! All I know is Obama handled 3 P@ndemics (X,Eb, N1) and there was barely a ripple of bad news! Now look at us! :wall:

Fiero425

Wimbledon has ********* insurance. So makes sense to cancel and their insurance wanted them to cancel sooner rather than later less costs involved.

I think the policy cost them $2 M; money well spent I guess! Who would have thought something like this could happen today; even in 3rd world nations like the United States! :D :judge::wall:

Bellanca

I just heard on Tennis Channel! I guess we all knew it was inevitable! I know someone over there and they're in as much a lockdown state as we are here in the US! Wow, it didn't take long for someone to turn us into a 3rd world nation! All I know is Obama handled 3 P@ndemics (X,Eb, N1) and there was barely a ripple of bad news! Now look at us! :wall:
:rolleyes: That’s because the extended arm of the Democrat Party (what the seriously misguided call the “media” :lol:) intentionally withheld anything negative and completely hid derogatory reports and upsetting information from what they knew to be a reliably unsuspecting and otherwise inattentive public at the time. The “media” unequivocally counted upon and relied heavily on a short public attention span and life’s distraction.

The “media” purposefully covered up, glossed over and basically ignored anything harmful (and there was plenty of it) to keep “The One” protected and a susceptible, impressionable, uniformed citizenry duped and ignorant. It appears it worked like a charm.

Plenty of people were infected and died, plenty, but USA’s “vaunted journalists” agenda was that it be kept far, far away and deeply buried. Unlike now, where we have a malevolent and ill-conceived 24hr. death toll ... lest people forget.

More appropriately (and accurately) it is called disinformation, propaganda, bullsh💩t. Sorry, but wake up!

It was used then to control the narrative, it is used now to control the narrative - with the premeditated intention of having an entirely opposite reaction and outcome.

Eta: the emoticon replies ⬇ 🤣 😂 🤓 Groupthink... Predictable. You guys are too easy, like lemmings following each other off the cliff. 🤡

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

So anyway …. is it a pipe dream to think that the US Open and rescheduled French Open will take place in September? I haven't heard anything about these being outright canceled yet. Serena still needs 2 more Grand Slams! 🎾🎾

skatingguy

decently
So anyway …. is it a pipe dream to think that the US Open and rescheduled French Open will take place in September? I haven't heard anything about these being outright canceled yet. Serena still needs 2 more Grand Slams! 🎾🎾
Things are cancelled through early July, which would have been the end of Wimbledon. The next part of the season is the summer European Clay events, followed by the American hardcourt season. The European events might happen because things seem to be moving in the right direction, but it will depend on borders opening again, and I'm certain that these events would be held without fans. The American hardcourt events seem very much in doubt at this point. I'm wondering whether some of the events may start again but be played as exhibitions that allow the players to get back in shape but not count towards rankings.

Sylvia

TBD
Happy 40th birthday today, Venus Williams!

ETA link to a Tennis.com article: https://tinyurl.com/y7q5b9oe
Today, that hope officially became a reality, with the USTA’s announcement that the 2020 US Open will go on as scheduled, from August 31 to September 13 in New York City—albeit with some significant alterations given the still-threatening coronavirus pandemic:
—The tournament will be held without fans.
—The men’s and women’s singles draws will remain at 128 players, but the men’s and women’s doubles draws will be reduced to 32 teams.
—There will be no mixed doubles tournament, singles or doubles qualifying tournament, junior tournaments or wheelchair tournament.
In addition, the Western & Southern Open, normally held two weeks prior to the US Open, will be relocated to the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. In an effort to reduce player travel, the ATP and WTA tournaments will be held from Saturday, August 22 to Friday, August 28—the final just three days before the start of the US Open—with a 48-player qualifying tournament. A 32-team doubles event will also be held.
Why is there a qualifying tournament for the Western & Southern Open, but not for the US Open? Likely, to give the many players outside of the main-draw cut line that traveled to New York a chance to compete in another tournament—this one boasting just a main draw of just 56 players.

Last edited:

Lorac

Well Novak Djokovic has been criticised for holding his Adria Tour competition with zero social distancing as he has become the 4th player to test positive for CV - Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki have also all tested positive after the tournament last week. They all acted as if CV had just vanished from the planet. Honestly - what is wrong with some people!!

Novak Djokovic: World number one becomes latest tennis player to test positive for CV

Choupette

I've always rooted for Djokovic. I tend to favor underdogs, and he was prior to 2011. It kind of stayed after. Since this sort of job is challenging, I don't dwell on less than desirable comments by an athlete or another. But this is something else. I really have very little patience for celebrities using their status to propagate baseless vaccines "belief" especially in the midst of a pandemic, nor for carefree attitudes towards the situation. The way that tournament was set up, as well as the activities around it, were incredibly irresponsible. I am not sure I'll be able to care much for Novak's results anymore after that.

Fiero425

I've always rooted for Djokovic. I tend to favor underdogs, and he was prior to 2011. It kind of stayed after. Since this sort of job is challenging, I don't dwell on less than desirable comments by an athlete or another. But this is something else. I really have very little patience for celebrities using their status to propagate baseless vaccines "belief" especially in the midst of a p@ndemic, nor for carefree attitudes towards the situation. The way that tournament was set up, as well as the activities around it, were incredibly irresponsible. I am not sure I'll be able to care much for Novak's results anymore after that.

It's understandable where intelligence and common sense aren't enough! We need immediate gratification and don't like to be inconvenienced even if a "struggling Joe!" The affluent will have their moments of "total insanity" and not pay attention to what's going on around them! Here in the States a Dallas Cowboy player held a BBQ at his home last month and it was a huge catered event! There was no social distancing going on and we have to call it irresponsible of him and his guests! Celebs have been busted time and again, partying on the QT with some more blatant in their resistance to current events! At least Nole's kids seem to be ok so far! :rolleyes:

OnyxRose81

I was a fan of Djokovic but his actions over the past few months...I don’t think I can be anymore. I might still root for him a bit because I had an attachment but this whole mess was something else. This didn’t have to happen. I feel bad for the people who they’re all inadvertently putting at risk.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I've never liked Djokovic so my response might be excessive but I am so pissed that he'll have all those wildly desirable antibodies when (and if) the US Open and the French Open are played. He won't have to be quarantined. He won't have to be tested. He won't have to worry.

Assuming he and the other players who tested positive remain reasonably healthy for the next few weeks, they are set to go in a way the other tennis players won't be.

manhn

I think he would have to be quarantined, tested, etc. Are there places with self quarantine rules in place giving exceptions to those recovered?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
This is massively reckless and irresponsible. Also considering the fact that a few years ago Djokovic worked with a 'meditation guru'... I have a feeling that he isn't someone who believes in science much.

Choupette

This is massively reckless and irresponsible. Also considering the fact that a few years ago Djokovic worked with a 'meditation guru'... I have a feeling that he isn't someone who believes in science much.
My understanding is that meditation is to be fully aware of the present. If anything, IIRC, it is scientifically linked with a reduction of stress.

I don't know anything about Djokovic's version, so it may encompass other beliefs that I know nothing about.

Jimena

Scientists still can't say for sure if antibodies for the v1rus provide long term immunity. I assume he's going to have to be quarantined regardless.

What a freaking doofus he is.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I've never liked Djokovic so my response might be excessive but I am so pissed that he'll have all those wildly desirable antibodies when (and if) the US Open and the French Open are played. He won't have to be quarantined. He won't have to be tested. He won't have to worry.

Assuming he and the other players who tested positive remain reasonably healthy for the next few weeks, they are set to go in a way the other tennis players won't be.

On the flip side, there’s the possibility that any of the infected players send up with reduced lung capacity, even if they have a relatively mild case. Lots of people reporting long term post viral effects. Which would make carrying on as a top player when things start up again virtually impossible. It’s just so thoughtless and irresponsible from all sides.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@morqet Agree 100%. There’s good evidence that those who feel even mild tiredness and shortness of breath have it linger for up to 8 weeks. More severe symptoms might prevent someone from training until well into the fall.

Lorac

Well no Wimbledon but the Beeb have been showing some classic finals and they just showed the 1993 Women's final between Steffi Graf and Jana Novotna and I had tears in my eyes when Jana wept on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder. So heartfelt and sad :( . But they showed a clip of her winning in 1998 and her smile lit up Centre Court!!!

D

Deleted member 40371

Well no Wimbledon but the Beeb have been showing some classic finals and they just showed the 1993 Women's final between Steffi Graf and Jana Novotna and I had tears in my eyes when Jana wept on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder. So heartfelt and sad :( . But they showed a clip of her winning in 1998 and her smile lit up Centre Court!!!
Jana winning Wimbledon and Goran winning his title are two my favourite Wimbledon moments. I wish Monica Seles too had her fairytale moment as well

Lorac

Jana winning Wimbledon and Goran winning his title are two my favourite Wimbledon moments. I wish Monica Seles too had her fairytale moment as well

The Beeb showed Goran's win last week as one of their classic finals. They showed the Arthur Ashe Jimmy Connors final as well today - when Ashe totally changed the way he played to nullify Connors aggression - and that was one brief handshake at the net at the end :D

It hasn't been the same but it's been fun to see some of the classic finals - the Federer Roddick one was on yesterday - and even though I was pleased Roger won I did feel for Andy only being broken once in the entire match at the very end.

Sylvia

TBD
Wimbledon/AELTC has announced they will distribute over £10 million in prize money despite the cancelled 2020 Championships! https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/1281628750782685184
:respec:

To put into perspective how much @Wimbledon's prize money gesture will help players, someone like @Liambroady earned just under $60,000 in 2019 (almost half from reaching R3 in qualifying at Wimbledon. The £12,500 ($15,800) he'll get this year will help a lot, no doubt

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Wimbledon/AELTC has announced they will distribute over £10 million in prize money despite the cancelled 2020 Championships! https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/1281628750782685184
:respec:

I'm glad to read this. They had special 'pandemic' insurance and profited over $100M by canceling this year, so it's nice to see them giving some of it back to the players. My tennis coach really painted a gloomy picture of life as a tennis pro from ranking 30 on down. It's prohibitively expensive for these lower level players to make it, with all the traveling, coaching, and most can't keep up with it. He predicts a huge number of retirements if this continues much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information