Louisville and Cincinnati Travel Advice

sk8pics

Outside - Cincinnati Zoo (Columbus is better, but you won't be there). Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington (between Louisville and Cincinnati). Newport Aquarium (inside). People have passes, but once was enough for me. The penguins and seahorses were the best part and they aren't even fish. You can walk under sharks. o.k. I'm done!
I wouldn’t say Lexington is between Louisville and Cincinnati, but it is a bit closer to Cincinnati.

@Vagabond The Kentucky Horse Park is quite nice and they have a couple of museums on the grounds. If you wanted to go there, I’d suggest checking their website to see what things are going on.

Also in the Lexington area there are many horse farms and tours are often possible; you would check out visithorsecountry.com to find out about them. And of course, Old Friends Equine is just north of Lexington in Georgetown. Tours are by reservation these days. On those walking tours you meet about a dozen retired ex-racehorses and get to feed carrots to many of them. It’s a great place!

For Louisville, the Kentucky Derby Museum is very nice, and there’s a deli just across the street. I can’t remember the name but it’s supposed to be quite good and yes, they serve hot browns!

Vagabond

I have been to Lexington before, though not to the Kentucky Horse Park. It's tempting to go there again, just to drive along US-27 and take photographs. 📷

It might snow on Saturday morning. :wideeyes: ❄️ I was planning to rent a car and drive to the event then, but I might end up relying on public transportation and ride-sharing and not make the day trip to Louisville or Lexington. :cold: 🤷‍♂️

Susan1

I wouldn’t say Lexington is between Louisville and Cincinnati, but it is a bit closer to Cincinnati.
I-71 Cincinnati to Louisville is faster, but if you go down I-75, you turn at Lexington to go to Louisville. It's almost exactly the same distance from Cincinnati to Lexington as Lexington to Louisville. So, that's my "between".
It might snow on Saturday morning.
Yep. Can you wait till Monday? Ha ha. It's going to be in the 70's and sunny. Weather whiplash, here we go again. There aren't any 20s in the 7 day forecast, so it must be spring.

Vagabond

My trip, in brief:

I stayed in Cincinnati rather than go to Louisville. 🤷‍♂️
I went to Joseph-Beth Booksellers. 🎁
I scaled some of the Seven Hills of Cincinnati. 🧗‍♂️
I had lunch at Pleasant Ridge Chili. 🍝
I had ice cream at Graeter's.🍦
I popped in at the Cincinnati Art Museum and looked mostly at the American collection. 🖼️
Instead of snow, there was "wintry mix," which ought to be a warm cocktail with bourbon in it but isn't. :(

Other than that, what happens in Cincinnati stays in Cincinnati. 🤫

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

Susan1

My trip, in brief:

I stayed in Cincinnati rather than go to Louisville. 🤷‍♂️
I went to Joseph-Beth Booksellers. 🎁
I scaled some of the Seven Hills of Cincinnati. 🧗‍♂️
I had lunch at Pleasant Ridge Chili. 🍝
I had ice cream at Graeter's.🍦
I popped in at the Cincinnati Art Museum and looked mostly at the American collection. 🖼️
Instead of snow, there was "wintry mix," which ought to be a warm cocktail with bourbon in it but isn't. :(

Other than that, what happens in Cincinnati stays in Cincinnati. 🤫

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)
Well, up here, we had snow squalls around 10:30 Saturday morning. I went past the front door and wondered why it was foggy. Opened the door, it was practically a white-out. Didn't stick. Two times in the afternoon we had "graupel" during the rain. I could hear it. I thought it was sleet. It was too cold for hail. It's white pellets of snow inside ice or ice inside of snow pellets, I forget. They are supposed to melt when they hit. I took a picture of strips of it along the driveway and the roof across the street before it did melt the first time.

Vagabond

Graupel. I had never heard of it before I went to Cincinnati.

It should be some sort of snack served up with a nice warm wintry mix, but it isn't. :( Instead its a loan word from German to describe precipitation consisting of snow pellets. :cold:

Susan1

Graupel. I had never heard of it before I went to Cincinnati.

It should be some sort of snack served up with a nice warm wintry mix, but it isn't. :( Instead its a loan word from German to describe precipitation consisting of snow pellets. :cold:
I have lived here for over 60 years and this year is the first I've heard that word.

Susan1

Me, too. At first I thought @Vagabond meant goetta! 😀
Those weather people keep learning new things to hit us with. A few years ago, it was "areal". People thought it was a typo from area - "areal flooding". No, a weather person explained during a broadcast, areal is referring to an area. Last week and for the past 100 years, they said area, this week it's areal from now on. Alrighty then. ha ha

Vagabond

Goetta. That's another new one for me.

🤔 It sounds like some form of sleet found in northern Italy, but it's actually a loose sausage made with ground pork and beef, steel-cut oats, onions, garlic, and spices that is yet another quintessential Cincinnati dish.

It might go well with a nice bourbon-laced "wintry mix." 🥃 😋

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information