Prague, Vienna & Budapest Travel Advice

ballettmaus

As far as I know, raisins belong in a traditional apple strudel (and in a "Topfenstrudel" as well. I was in Austria every year during winter break while I was in school and I don't recall ever having eaten either without). But just ask if it has raisins in it. And even if it does, the consistency of it might make it possible to pick them out.

Traditional "Kaiserschmarren" also comes with raisins but you should be able to order it without as the raisins are usually added while it's baking/frying if you'd like to taste that.

(The German word for raisins is "Rosinen" :) )

Erin

Banned Member
Hungary isn’t Eastern Europe. :shuffle:

Yes, it even says in the book that all of the countries are technically in Central Europe, but that's what the book is called. 🤷‍♀️ Given that it's marketed to an American audience, it goes with what would be recognized there.

vesperholly

If you can do a day trip to Salzburg from Vienna, it is well worth it. I absolutely loved it there.
Salzburg is gorgeous (better than Vienna IMO) but it's a 4-hour one-way train ride.

I did not like sachertorte. I had a wonderful plum dessert thing at Cafe Sacher in Vienna though. Found a pic!! https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/cafe-sacher-wien-wien?select=BlGzrwvQkC7X1hMCIxplqQ

I liked shopping at Naschmarkt - basically the entrance to Mariahilf neighborhood. The Kaisergruft (royal crypt) was unexpectedly fascinating and I liked the Sissi museum section of The Hofburg.

Prague Old Town is rife with trdelnik, aka chimney cakes. Total tourist dessert but soooo good.

I got an online-only bank account that has no fees on ATMs or foreign transactions, and withdrew cash from local ATMs. No idea if the exchange rate was terrible - I didn't exactly ATM shop.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Geographically, it may not be. But back when the wall was still standing it was part of what was referred to as the east/eastern block.

I was alive when the wall was standing and saw the Berlin Wall come down live on TV. If I can make the adjustment to correctly labelling Hungary and other Central European countries geographically, then it shouldn’t be that hard for others.

ballettmaus

I was alive when the wall was standing and saw the Berlin Wall come down live on TV. If I can make the adjustment to correctly labelling Hungary and other Central European countries geographically, then it shouldn’t be that hard for others.

Germans still refer to former East Germany as East Germany at times. There are also economical circumstances that still divide the country and the continent and many who lived in former East Germany and East Berlin still live there and those who lived in West Germany and West Berlin still live there, so I don't think it's as easy as you think.

ETA: Although, one should probably make an effort when writing books.

Last edited:

manhn

Well, I didn't go this past month because, well, you know. Anyways, my marathon in Vienna has finally made a decision in terms of refunds, etc. If you want a refund, you only get 30% (total ripoff). You can defer your registration for either 2021 or 2022.

I was kinda hoping for a virtual option, but nope. I decided to defer it for 2022. I know Austria has reopened its society somewhat, but who knows what international travel will be in 2021, particularly for those who have to travel abroad. I am hoping by 2022, things will be more open. Looking forward to it!

Cachoo

Hope springs eternal for 2022! I sure as heck hope we have this conquered by then.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I was supposed to go to the Galapagos Islands/Quito this June with EF Tours but obviously not. We had the option of getting a travel voucher at 100% or 70% of our payment back. I chose the 70% because 1. even IF--and that's a big IF--travel opens up next year, I don't know how comfortable I'll feel going and 2. a company like EF that obviously depends on travel has a good chance of going under, so no travel and no money. A friend of mine was supposed to go to Greece/Italy in April, but had to cancel. EF rebooked it for July. I asked my friend what she was thinking--ain't no one going nowhere IN JULY. EF still hasn't cancelled it (actually, they still haven't officially cancelled the Galapagos trip--I just cancelled for me) and I'm wondering what the hell kinda drugs they're taking. I told my friend WHEN the Greece/Italy trip gets cancelled, she needs to take the money. She says no, no, it's going to happen! I understand optimism. I do not understand stupidity.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm wondering what the hell kinda drugs they're taking.
Oh, they aren't taking drugs. They are trying to stay afloat. If you cancel something, people want their money back. If you postpone it, those people may want their money back but the company can legitimately say that the event is still going on so canceling is your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information