LGBTQ+ in figure skating

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
June has been such a great month in LGBTQ + figure skating news and now another figure skater coming out I think maybe it would be cool to see its own thread

For champion skater Christopher Caluza, coming out as gay was a worthwhile journey

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Looking at the Grand Prix grids for this coming season it’s an amazing seven skaters I can identify as of today that are publicly out as LGBTQ+. So amazing and what change from just a few years ago!

Amber Glenn, Timothy LeDuc, Paul Poirier, Jason Brown, Eric Radford, Kevin Aymoz, Guillame Cizeron 🥰

Puts a smile on me

Sylvia

TBD

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Looking at the Grand Prix grids for this coming season it’s an amazing seven skaters I can identify as of today that are publicly out as LGBTQ+. So amazing and what change from just a few years ago!

Amber Glenn, Timothy LeDuc, Paul Poirier, Jason Brown, Eric Radford, Kevin Aymoz, Guillame Cizeron 🥰

Puts a smile on me
He's another reason I want to go to SkCan! I really couldn't stand his previous partner, but Eric partnered now with Vanessa James?!?!?! I am soooo there!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Sylvia

TBD
SkateProud's IG Live chat between Javier Raya & Kaitlyn earlier today (24 mins.): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQypftUq6Gs/

Links to the 3 threads started in GSD on June 11, 2021:

Kaitlyn:

Paul:

Jason:

All 3 of them spoke with Nick McCarvel for the Olympic Channel's podcast (copying over what I posted in their GSD thread yesterday):
The posts appeared within hours of one another, but there was no coordination among them.
On 11 June 2021, Olympic figure skaters Jason Brown, Kaitlyn Weaver and Paul Poirier each took to social media to share their own public coming out messages - a day that was met with celebration by many in the sport, as well as within the LGBTQ+ community. [...]
This week, the trio features on the Olympics podcast, where they discuss their personal journeys, the challenges they've faced, and what needs to change within the sport of figure skating to make it more encouraging and accepting for all.
Direct link to listen to their 30-minute chat: https://olympics.com/en/podcast/podcast-jason-brown-kaitlyn-weaver-paul-poirier-pride
The LGBTQ+ community officially welcomed three Olympic figure skaters when they came out on June 11, 2021. Jason Brown, Kaitlyn Weaver, and Paul Poirier joined Nick McCarvel to talk about why they chose this moment to share, why they feel it's more important than ever to do so, and provide insight into the support and challenges around coming out while involved in elite figure skating.

Finnice

Maybe a bit to this, the synchro team Dream Edges from Kaarina, Finland, have announced that their FS this season will be about love between two women. They say synchro can do something that the other FS disciplines can not.

Sylvia

TBD
I came across a handy link on U.S. Figure Skating's Fan Zone website to their Pride Month 2021 compilation page with links to Eliot Halverson's IG Live conversations in June (with judge Jaclyn Ward Helms, LeDuc, Glenn, Rippon), feature stories, and educational resources:

I had posted some of the links in the Skaters worldwide unite to promote diversity in figure skating thread in GSD, including this article from March 2021:
USFS' Skater Spotlight article by Jillian L. Martinez on Eliot Halverson who is transgender non-binary (she/her):
Halverson still skates beautifully and coaches at Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers in NYC: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKoxr4snSOu/
(Halverson also coaches Jackie Wong of RockerSkating who's out and proud.)

Sylvia

TBD
The Ice Skating Podcast from the ISU (listen here): https://www.isu.org/media-centre/libraries/podcast

Pride Month Special – Part 1, with Guillaume Cizeron, Brittany Bowe, and Blake Skjellerup
Welcome to the first of two editions of The Ice Skating Podcast celebrating Pride month.
Held in June each year to honor the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in New York, Pride month usually means, without the threat of Covid, parades and marches dedicated to celebrating LGBTQ+ communities all around the world.
Join French Figure Skater Guillaume Cizeron, US Speed Skater Brittany Bowe, and New Zealand’s former Short Track Speed Skater Blake Skjellerup as they share their personal experiences as LGBTQ+ athletes.
Pride Month Special – Part 2, with Rachel Parsons, Guillaume Cizeron, Brittany Bowe, and Milk
Welcome to the second packed edition of The Ice Skating Podcast celebrating Pride month and sharing the stories of several LGBTQ+ athletes.
French Figure Skater Guillaume Cizeron and US Speed Skater Brittany Bowe return for this episode, and this time they’re joined by the high-profile drag queen and former Figure Skater, Milk.
Another former Figure Skater, the USA’s one-time Junior World Champion Rachel Parsons, shares her story too.

ISU's latest interview feature Rachel Parsons: Living her best life after learning to love skating again (July 5, 2021): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...arning-to-love-skating-again?templateParam=15

Andrea82

Puts a smile on me
there is also Lewis Gibson in Ice Dance and Filippo Ambrosini in Pairs.

Sylvia

TBD
2019 U.S. Junior Men's champ & CS Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy senior bronze medalist/5-time JGP competitor Ryan Dunk's 21st birthday is today (Oct. 14) and he decided to come out publically via social media :): https://www.instagram.com/p/CVBnTt7LW-x/
Turned 21 today and felt kinda cute all grown up😅 BUT!!! more importantly, I want to tell you all that I am gay!🏳️‍🌈😇 Most of my close friends already know this about me, but I wanted to make it official today as a little bday present to myself😂 … also, I feel that I am finally reaching the point where I can say I am proud of the person I’m becoming and feel comfortable in my own skin (which has not always been the case🥺). I am so grateful for all of the individuals who have fought for gay people to have our rights - I would not be able to live as myself today if it weren’t for them. ALSO - thank you to my family for always showing me unconditional love. I love you so, so much❤️ … anyways, don’t wanna get too sappy, so on that note, with peace and love -> just always remember that it’s Britney bitch xx

Sylvia

TBD
When did he retire and why?
Ryan Dunk hasn't retired - he competed in several competitions this summer (won the U.S. Collegiate Championships senior title representing Suffolk University; ETA scored 199.46 at the Boston Open earlier this month) and I'm pretty sure he has entered the U.S. qualifying season (Championship Series thread in the Kiss & Cry section).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

annie720

2019 U.S. Junior Men's champ & CS Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy senior bronze medalist/5-time JGP competitor Ryan Dunk's 21st birthday is today (Oct. 14) and he decided to come out publically via social media :): https://www.instagram.com/p/CVBnTt7LW-x/
It's good to hear news about Ryan! I was a fan of his when I lived in MD and he trained there. Happy everything, Ryan! I wish you well!

antmanb

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information